Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 flight journey to Aspen - how long to leave between flights?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm going to go to Aspen at the end of January but getting there from Edinburgh where I live will involve 3 flights - probably Edinburgh to Heathrow, Heathrow to Chicago and Chicago to Aspen.

I've been searching for flights on Expedia and it has thrown up lots of different options but some of the gaps between one flight arriving and the next departing seem a bit on the short side. Obviously I'd like to spent as little time waiting at airports as possible, but I don't want to myself or my skis to miss a connection because we don't have enough time to get off one plane, round the airport and on to the next plane.

Has anyone got any advice on how much time to leave between flights? Delays will obviously be an unknown factor, but are there any sensible rules of thumb for how long to leave for transfers to transatlantic flights and internal flights? Expedia is showing some waits of just 50 minutes between the internal flights and 1 hour 30 mins for the international flights - would choosing these flights be asking for trouble?

Thanks,

Ricky P
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rickyp2, Going out you will need to clear US immigration at Chicago. I don't know the airport itself but this can take some time with fairly lengthy queues. I think 50 minutes would not be long enough.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been thru chicago, but friends that have tend to advise 2hrs minimum layover to allow for Baggage reclaim, Immigration+Customs, plus Baggage re-drop. SF is about the same apparently.
Saying that, I managed to do all of the above in 10 minutes at Philadelphia.

As for expedia... it did a pretty good job at coming up with potential flights (apart from hopelessly short layovers and inability to configure this as a preference), but we actually got the same flights cheaper direct from US Airways than via Expedia (etc.). Once you settle on flights, that may be worth a try Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I look at flights on the internet I regularly reject options which have, to my mind, absurdly short transfer times. One of the things that you have to watch out for is how many flights a day do they do between A and B. Leaving aside the luggage not making it issue, if you have a tight transfer time and there is only one flight a day from Chicago to Aspen then if you miss it, you have 24 hours to the next one (assuming that they fly every day at the same time). On that basis you may want to build in some contingency time.

To an extent the same may apply in getting to Heathrow, a delay leaving then a period of time in a holding pattern over Oxfordshire or whereverwhilst you dont get down on the ground can eat into the time to transfer.

I try to limit the trips to 2 flights/ 1 connection to minimise problems but you cant always do that and Aspen is one of those. The other option is fly to Denver (which can be 2 flights )/ and drive (but it is a longish drive)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rickyp2, Chicago is the pits. I have had baggage delayed in transit from there twice. The very minimum transit you want there is 3hours.

I once waited 50 minutes to clear Dept of Agriculture there... let alone immigration

Remember - at your entry airport on the US you have to clear immigration, reclaim your baggage, clear customs, clear agriculture and then put you baggage back into the system

We do everything possible to avoid O'Hare now. It is a busy airport and when "Lake effect snow" hits it gets big delays.

No possibility of going via Denver?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are happy flying BA (can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be), then via Heathrow direct to Denver, there are then a number of flights every day to Aspen with Frontier.

The timetable (in January at least) sees the flight get in at 1525, leaving plenty of breathing space for customs/immigration etc before the final Frontier flight of the day to Aspen at 2130. Flights also at 1755, 1855 and 2130 with United.

Beware though, being a mountain airport, Aspen is liable to be closed without warning in the winter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
immigration can be a f*cker, last 2 trips were 2.5 hours (JFK) and 2 hours (SFO). If you could be bothered to study timetables for the airport then you could MAYBE avoid peak times - which will depend on incoming flights' origins at any one time - not very likely to be able to do this though (and who could be arsed with that anyway). Edinburgh - Newark could be a good first leg (continental), allowing you to look at newark or JFK (or even la guardia?) for the hop over to Aspen?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when we went to Aspen last, it was via Chicago we only had 1.5 hrs to make the next flight hrs, which we did without rush. The baggage re-drop is is very close to re-claim. coming back we only had 40 mins Shocked We were running for that wink

Unfortunately as skisimon, points out Aspen airport can, and often is, closed due to weather. It ws for us and we ended up spending the night in Denver airport Sad Still we were in aspen by 9am the next day and on the slopes by 10 Smile Never suffered from jetlag at all, best way ever to beat it Madeye-Smiley

If you dont want to drive from Denver( 4hrs approx) and arent flying into Aspen , you could look to Eagle which is only 1.5 hrs away - either drive or CME.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are going via heathrow, make sure you leave plenty of time. It can be long way between terminals and you may have to wait for buses. Also the shuttles down are often late or cancelled. Personally I always leave at leat 1 hour but preferbaly 1.5 hours.
I once had a 45 minute gap which the TO insisted was fine. We made it by running all the way but the ski equipment didn't. Mad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy