Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first twin tips for decent skier who wants to be more adventurous!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Im a competent skier having done a season a couple of years ago... Having said that I've never really been too adventurous off piste or in the park... All that is about to change however!!! Last season I bought some x-wing tornados which I loved on piste, and did a decent job in crud and powder, but this year, having just booked a month in Meribel, I want to get some twin tips to start trying a few tricks, but I also want something that will be better in the powder than my x-wings.... Your reccomendations please!!!

Im also not too up to speed on things like binding positions, and what length to go for? I weigh about 83KG (184lbs) my x-wings are 175's should I go for the same in a twin tip? I have atomic race boots which are good for the piste, but would something else be more suitable for off piste? Thanks in advance!.... Oh, and if anyone has anything for sale in the London area let me know......

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonboy21, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43015

Probably ski about the same length as your 175's being a twin tip.

They are in Edinburgh so your probably looking at twenty quid postage on top of that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv, if jonboy doesn't go for them I think I might be interested - I, like him, am not an expert on binding positions etc but am something of the same sort of skier - love X-Wings but want a pair of twins to start learning on the park, and weight about 85kg myself but have only skied 172s.

I ski Nordica Speedmachine 10 boots, which I think will be forgiving enough to start with, and I'm not really going to head off-piste much, just stick to groomers and the park.

What dya think?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FastEddie, If you are sticking to groomers and the park get some dedicated park skis, like a Dynastar Trouble Maker or similar, something about 80 waist. If you are not going anywhere but groomers and park anything more isn't required.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also park skis are a huge compromise on piste, if you can, have both wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Um... What is a groomer? Is it a piste? If so, when did everyone start using this horrid word. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonboy21, I bought my first pair of twintips right at the end of the 07/08 season, and am really looking forward to taking them out to play in Jan. In terms of length, I was told (on this forum) that I would need skis around 10 cm longer than my usual length to account for the turn-ups, thereby giving me the same on-snow contact length. So I bought 172cm Scott Punishers, as against my piste skis which are 161cm, with waist 90 as I will be using them off piste. Have fun!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ice_pie, groomer - groomed run. Yankism. Not so bad really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*shudders*
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jonboy21, If you are looking K2 Public Enemy are great as are the new Salomon suspect. Great thing about twin tips as this forum has shown is that you can pick them up cheap enough happy shopping
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv wrote:
Also park skis are a huge compromise on piste, if you can, have both wink

Exactly *how* much will I notice the difference? I know, the only answer is to try 'em out - but will I be able to carry on with my same mid-high speed, aggressive carving style on a pair of dedicated park skis without noticing too much?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot. Hells no.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordhan wrote:
jonboy21, If you are looking K2 Public Enemy are great as are the new Salomon suspect. Great thing about twin tips as this forum has shown is that you can pick them up cheap enough happy shopping

My son got some public enemies last year and loves them, most of the time spent on piste, with the occasional off piste excursion and the odd hour or so in the snowpark.

Be warned the side's and top surface get damaged very easily, however this is only cosmetic. He takes some laminate wood glue and small vice cramps with him to repair the damage whist away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, all K2 topsheets seem to be rubbish. Don't let it get you down. Think of the damage as battle scars!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv wrote:
A lot. Hells no.

Oh bum.

Hire for the odd day until I want to spend all my time on the park then?
snow conditions
I would just buy both but that would probably be unnecessary. I wouldn't buy park twin tips if you still want to rip on piste. Buy the one your going to use most often and rent the other OR rent from a place that allows you to switch skis when you want.
ski holidays
I wanted skis that performed well on and off piste, were about 90mm, and had a twin tail. After a lot of research, I ended up with Line Prophet 90s.

Basically, all mountain performance and park performance need opposite criteria - it's just not possible to have one ski be good at both. However, you don't need a high-performance park ski unless you're already pretty good in the park.
ski holidays
I think you guys are being really fussy. There are a huge number of skis that are versatile enough to enjoy in the park and on the pistes. He's not asking about racing gates in the morning, a quick freeride comp. before lunch, then a long photo-session in the superpipe. He just wants a nice all-round twin tip. There are plenty.

Jonboy- I suggest you spend the first couple of days when you get out there trying a few different ski models and see what you like. I'm not buying any new skis this year so haven't shopped around, but you're bound to be spoilt for choice.
snow report
arv wrote:
rent from a place that allows you to switch skis when you want.

...for a month? Shocked
ski holidays
ice_pie, that was for FastEddie. Should have specified in my post but just assumed that no one would get confused as it came straight after his question.
snow report
Aaaah! It's been a long day. wink
latest report
Can I spam your thread with my Prophet 90s that are for sale? Very Happy snowHead http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43015

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 8-10-08 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
skibomb, look at the 2nd post in the list wink
latest report
arv, Ah never noticed that - thanks for doing my spamming for me wink
latest report
I'd echo the comments about trying before you buy......

write ups in mags and brouchures are just that...

what is good for one may not suit you, if cash is tight test first...if the reason taht you are skiing for a month is that you are an out of work merchant banker....you don't really need to worry.

try twin tips from different maufacturers; salomon, K2, line, movement, dynastar...

what is different about these is the stiffness...I found K2 PEs very very floppy on piste and hated them, dynastar trouble makers quite floppy, salomon foils fine on piste great off piste, movement skis very stiff and needed full throttle

Haven't tried line skis but guess at least as stiff as movement

basically the stiffer the ski then t he faster you can go on piste... but nore tricky doing jumps and off piste
snow report
spam alert - I have a pair of 185 Karma's, considering sale
ski holidays
masmith, have you still got your karmas for sale and around how much do you want for them?
latest report
joshua, I'll drop you a PM
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
masmith, Did you get the message I would really like to have a look at the karmas
snow report
joshua, sorry I thought I had some pics on my Pc but I must have removed them. I'll take some more, but that will have to be tomorrow, please drop me a PM with your email address and I'll wing them over to you.
snow report
The Karma is a great ski, but you need to be a medium build fat bloke to use it in 185
snow report
or a taller but not so terribly fat bloke Very Happy
snow conditions
masmith, Well Zoo knows the ski, I would have thought a 185 TT would suit a 183, 80kgs plus...

Just a thought as TT tend to ski short and at 87mm wide it isn't a whole lot of ski..

That is just my thinking for FWIW..
latest report
JT wrote:
masmith, Well Zoo knows the ski, I would have thought a 185 TT would suit a 183, 80kgs plus...

Exactly, I just don't think the descriptoin 'medium build fat bloke' was all encompasing and helpful. I'm 185 and 90kg, not fat (not thin either, medium build is a good description), and the 185 are spot on for me.
ski holidays
masmith, Sorry if i didn't explain why i used that phrase. It's about the length of the sweet spot of the ski. It's quite short so a tall bloke might struggle to middle it.
latest report
joshua, you should have a PM and an email.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, now I understand, thanks for clearing it up. I find they suit me great, it's just I'm not spending enough time off piste to justify the width, looking at 70ish waist 'piste' skis instead that can cope with the odd off-piste foray, e.g. Crossfire.
snow report
masmith, Thanks for PM and email pics were fine have sent PM to you
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy