Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning a weekend

Poster: A snowHead
I know there's tons of stuff written about this already, but the prospect of planning a weekend skiing seems like hard work and I've been putting it off so far. The plan is somewhere in Europe probably around end of Jan, definitely not during the busy period in Feb, can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?

Have I left it too late already with cheap flights?

Is DIY the only option without paying out loads?

TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, no, yes, I mean no.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmmm, so many questions.....

To start, which airports in the UK do you have easy access to, and which airlines fly from there, and to where....

Then, which resorts are within easy access at the 'other end'? And do they meet your requirements, facilities wise....

Then we can get on to board and lodgings.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
get your flights sorted first - everything flows from there Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK - some details.... any airports around London are fine, so hopefully keeps the options open.

Cheers Arno - I'll look into flight tonight, had a brief look a while ago but found that many of the cheaper ones were at cr@p times, for example I would be good to have most of a day's skiing on the last day rather than a lunchtime departure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok, I can tell you that EJ do Gatwick returns around about 2125 from GVA..that will help out your last days skiing..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Decide on a destination, preferably within an hour or so drive of an airport. Geneva & Zurich are ones I've used before.

2. Check dates don't coincide with any major holiday periods in Europe, or at least as few as possible.

3. Book flights.

4. Go to chosen resort tourist office website, set up standard room request email and send to all Hotels/Residences etc. you remotely like the look of. (Repeat in differing resort if required)

5. Choose one from those who say yes.

6. Book car hire (or transfer if you must).

7. Start looking at resort webcams three months before trip date.

DO NOT
a) Nip round to next doors for a drink.
b) Mention it casually while half way through second bottle.
c) Allow anyone with a live credit card near a computer.
d) Allow the ladies to source accomodation whilst saying "Sod it, it is a holiday after all"

You have been warned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
DO NOT
d) Allow the ladies to source accomodation whilst saying "Sod it, it is a holiday after all"

You have been warned.

Laughing Oh, how true! How many holidays have been booked in just this way? Most of the protagonists have NO idea where they are going or when! I'd have to say though, that IME, it's the men who are guilty of d)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc,

It is a good choice and you will get BIG browney points... Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
DO NOT

You have been warned.

Laughing Oh, how true! How many holidays have been booked in just this way?

Anniepen, Every one I've ever been on Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMV, you've missed the cheap flights. Whilst it is sound advice to sort flights first, you appear to be saying that London airports are for you. So assuming that you are in the south east then: How many are going?. Consider driving - 4 per car alternate the driving, you could be in the Alps in 8-10hrs, cost would be less than a flight for 4 even including the channel tunnel fees. The alternative would be to leave it until the very lat minute when you might catch a flight sale (unlikely) but that is even more risky if there is a gang of you going.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, not so fast sunny Jim, we got some booked recently at £50 return.

Ok, More like £170 after you have the gall to take skis, clothing and pre-book your seat rolling eyes

JT, I know, I know. But it still stings a bit snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
when/where Mosha Marc, avec or sans enfants?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have a new product for next season in our Les Coches chalets to meet demand of people wanting flexible, affordable short breaks. Basically we will be doing any day arrival 3 day catered ski breaks from £99 - £139. For details have a look at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/short-break . You can stay longer - 3, 6 or 9 days are available and arriving any day you like means you can take advantage of the cheapest flights on offer
Very Happy
PM me if you'd like further details.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We do a similar thing but only a small apartment and no frills so have to arrange your own transfers.
snow conditions
kitenski, A sneaky weekend break to Megeve - adults only, six of us from our bigger trip.

The girls sorted the Hotel - please don't ask. wink 12th-15th March.

You're not about are you?
snow conditions
Have just booked a sneaky midweek away Very Happy Manchester- Salzburg flights £110 depart late afternoon Sunday, get back 21.30 on the friday. 45 minute transfers to Radstadt 5 full days skiing, B&B €28 per night Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, who's the flight with? I didn't know you could get direct flights to Salzburg from Manchester.
latest report
Mosha Marc, Thomsonfly, They fly Fri, sat, sun, mon, Outbound 16.55 flight fridays, 06.05 saturdays. returns are 20.50 on Sunday and Monday. A mass of great resorts under an hour away. Last year we were in resort for 10.40 am Very Happy
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I don't know who he used, but Thomsonfly and Thomas Cook both do them.
snow report
alex_heney, wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, I see, that's why I missed them. we have to go Thursdays and return Sundays rolling eyes
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
kitenski, A sneaky weekend break to Megeve - adults only, six of us from our bigger trip.

The girls sorted the Hotel - please don't ask. wink 12th-15th March.

You're not about are you?

Nope, my kids free weekend is at the end of Jan.....ah well, next time!
snow conditions
Thanks for all the tips - I've been busy researching, looked at flights to: Zurich, Geneva, Chambery, Verona, Innsbruck, Salzburg and Grenoble. The only budget airlines I found going to these places from the south east are easyJet from luton, stanstead or gatwick and ryanair from stanstead.

Most of the flights are around £80 -£150 inc, Geneva and Salzburg look best so far based on price and flight times (aiming for early or late going out, and late on the return).

Have I missed any other airlines that are worth looking at? I'd guess BA etc would be too expensive.

Interesting idea about driving - would be pretty knacked by the time we get there though. But the idea of going by train is quite appealing - last time I looked on teh eurostar site it seemed quite expensive, like over £200, is there any way of getting it cheaper?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd guess BA etc would be too expensive

Not necessarily the case. BA definitely fly to Geneva and Zurich (maybe some of the others if you check) and you might get something for around £100 (including all baggage, skis, etc, at least for the time being). Check out their prices. I'm going with BA to Zurich at half term week and only paid £115 each.
ski holidays
zebedee, just a suggestion but take a look at Innsbruck on Expedia and select flight and hotel (it'll create you a package). Innsbruck is quirky maybe but a great week-end ski destination. Being a biggish city there's lots going on, loads of hotel space (especially at week-ends when the business people aren't around), it's only a short taxi from the airport and there's loads of resorts all around you and all fairly painless to get to. One lift goes directly from the north of the city. Just an idea.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, thanks for that I will look into it. Although from what I've seen so far there are many flights going to Innsbruck so the options are a bit more limited.

One more question and then I'll pull my finger out and book something Shocked

Is is worth getting a really early flight, say 06:30 and trying to get to the slopes by lunchtime - or is it not worth the effort of being tired when you arrive and paying an extra day lift pass and ski hire?
latest report
zebedee wrote:
Have I missed any other airlines that are worth looking at? I'd guess BA etc would be too expensive.

never overlook BA or Swiss - often not much difference in price, plus they fly from LHR and/or LCY so makes for much more convenient transfers at this end if you live/work in central London

use something like www.kayak.co.uk for comparing prices including the "budget" carriers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4 Days in St Anton in March - best part of £1k!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, 5 days in the Ski Amade, best part of £500 for the lot Very Happy
latest report
zebedee, if Heathrow is convenient then also check out Swiss,com - you can usually get good time flights (i.e. going out very early, coming back late) to Zurich for about £100, but bear in mind this includes your checked in luggage and ski carriage, so compares very favourably with budget airlines.

Plenty to go at from Zurich
snow conditions
zebedee wrote:
One more question and then I'll pull my finger out and book something Shocked

Is is worth getting a really early flight, say 06:30 and trying to get to the slopes by lunchtime - or is it not worth the effort of being tired when you arrive and paying an extra day lift pass and ski hire?

Yes it is, we do it every time.

You'll find most places do a half day pass anyway.

You're only there for a weekend so make sure you're first on and last off.
latest report
Thanks Mosha Marc, now all I need to do is get the rabble to commit before I find out the flights costs have doubled Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy