Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sno!Cubs

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm thinking of taking the kids to do a Sno!cubs course at MK. They are 3 & 4, have both had a week playing on ski's but didn't really master snow ploughs (although 4 year old could turn somehow and used the falling to the ground stopping technique)

Has anyone got any experience of this course? Is it worth it? We are going to the Alps for a week in March and would really like to be able to ski with them without having to hang on to the 3 year olds ski suit. I don't expect miracles but a bit of control would be good. We're not intending to use ski school in France - just ski a couple of hours with them ourselves. However, this plan may change depending on how they get on. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
our kids are now 4 and 6 and this will be the third season we have taken them skiing. do check the age range, we tried tamworth snowdome, but they would not take kids under the age of 4, a mixture of reasons, concentration issues, being ok to leave parents, and strength in muscles and joints.
we then found a dry slope that would do private lessons age 3.5 yrs, and the 5 yr old did a group session (i think they had 2 lessons each). this got them moving a bit by last winter, the then 5 yr old could ski easy blues, but the 3 yr old tended to get out of control as her snowplough was not strong enough. a couple of times she shot off down hill by accident and we had to seriously race after her and scoop her up inside our skis doing a huge snowplough for both of us to make her stop before she hit something. when she accidently got any speed up she didn't fall over but just got faster and faster. it was a bit scary and not very safe. holding the ski suit hood doesn't work if it is a popper on/off detachable one!! it was slightly frustrating being stuck on the easiest nursery slope, but the one with the magic carpet / travelator was better than the pummel lift.
over this summer we have done a few kinder sessions at the snowdome and the kids have both cracked it now. they can both do linked snow plough turns right from the top of the snowdome slope and dry slope, so we'll be able to get out on all the blue runs as a family together - i am so looking forward to it this year.

we did a combination of private lessons at the dry slope and group lessons at the snowdome (price issues!! - approximately equal)
the real snow was better as they can glide and get the feel for sliding much better than the tacky plastic slope. our groups were a max of 5 and although variable the majority of lessons were well run and the kids progessed quickly. i think they have had 4 lessons over the summer.

if i was you i would get a few lessons in here before you go so you can enjoy skiing together.

other thing to mention, i saw some kids last year wearing a sort of reins /harness with long straps. the kid skiied in front and the parent controls any run-away speed from behind.
not sure how these worked, and if they would unbalance the posture, but did look a good safety measure. skiing holding hands is not so good! like you we don't do ski school while away, the kids are too young to be left alone while skiing, but i would advise lessons before you go if possible. also - if you get to watch the lesson closely, you can pick up lots of tips on how to help the kids practice too, as they do learn differently to adults.

hope this helps
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skimummy, i teach there occasionally and i believe the cubs and bears are fully booked through Jan on the weekends. They are talking about doing some weekday courses to meet demand. it is a very good way to introduce the little ones to skiing and class size is 4 max...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
blueberry, Thanks for the advice. I think the reins might be a good idea for the 3 year old. I don't know where our nearest dry slope is but I'm not a fan anyway - two broken thumbs at the same time as a 14 year old!!

skimottaret, I didn't realise the course would be booked up so soon. I'd better get my finger out and give them a call. Am I correct in thinking they take 3 year olds? She'll be mighty annoyed if her big brother is allowed to do something she can't.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skimummy, they do take 3 year olds, but please dont have them go swimming beforehand or a big walk etc. Some of the 3 year olds i have taught there are just too tired from the car journey to really enjoy it let alone after any other activities. Also at 3 expect the instructor to break up the session into 2 or 3 mini sessions with a bit of snowman making or something during the breaks.... Families of beginners with kids at different ages is a tought one for any instructor to cope with so be patient with their respective progress....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, Thanks for the advice. We're only 10 minutes away from MK so the car journey should be okay and with a 9.45 start there won't be time for much more than breakfast beforehand. My 3 year old is a tough cookie - she managed a 2 mile bike ride today on a 10" bike with solid wheels - but the 4 year old certainly has more stamina so good luck to the instructor! The lessons are now booked for January and February so just hoping little ones feet grow as apparently the smallest boots they do are a size or two too big for her snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy