Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Cenis - Ski Lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to Val Cenis for New Year and really feel like we need to get ski lessons sorted for the kids and the beginners we are going with as it will be a busy time. Can't book online yet direct with ESF and getting no response from them. Any idea when I'll be able to book anyone, or any ideas?

Any advice regrding the village of Lanslevillard appreciated, we are staying at the Val Cenis Village apartments which look pretty central.

Many Thanks

Jo & Co
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Found the ESF out of hours number and online bookings taken from November!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jo reuben,
Your at the best end of teh village; everything is very close & convienient. Looking to go there myself maybe but waiting to see where the snow starts to fall before committing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be the first and last time we go away at New Year if there isn't any!! We always go away at Easter, but thought we'd have a change this year - might be a big mistake. I'm just hoping it won't be too cold for the little ones....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a small resort Val Cenis ESF classes can suffer from insufficient numbers to run. This is made worse by the way classes are specific to a village, halving the potential numbers. Afternoon lessons in particular often don't happen, while morning classes can lump different ability groups together. However despite having a major bust up with them to do with the way they handled my cancelled afternoon lessons, I was very impressed by the amount of personal tuition each member of our quite large class received. The format may have been "bend ze knees and follow me" but our instructor nevertheless was continually dissecting where each of us was going wrong and suggesting ways to remedy these faults.

There is a cable car sited halfway between the two villages that you can ride up and down. It is very quick and I found it extremely useful for various reasons:

1) The best place to eat at lunchtime is the restaurant at the foot of this cable car. Excellent grub and cheaper than much of Austria (proving there are exceptions to the rip-off reputation of French resorts)

2) The conditions on the lower runs are invariably ice or slush. Also some of them are narrow and get very congested with childrens' lessons. The upper slopes have excellent snow and are quieter. The grooming on these is Courchevel standard if not better. Riding the cable car (down as well as up) enables you to ski exclusively these higher runs.

If the snow is poor I believe there is a cable car/gondola sited several miles outside Val Cenis that links to Val Thorens which is supposed to be the most snow sure of the 3 Valleys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder if you might be better getting private lessons rather than using the standard group lessons, especially if there are a few of you.

We went to val cenis a couple of years ago in the resort that you are going to and found that many of the instructors speak little/no english. When you book a private lesson you are able to specify the english speaking skills to suit.

I hasten to add that I'm not offering this as a critisism of the ski school - they are french people in france teaching mainly french pupils, but it is something that the kids in particular might find a bit off putting.

great resort by the way, in a nice, low key, French place with some interesting skiing at all levels on the hill. Link to Termignon adds a bit a variety too I should think.

d
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OUr kids found the ESF classes in Val Cenis above average and enjoyed them for what it's worth.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Unfortunately we are all at different levels, from a beginner 3 year old to an old average intermediate(level 4). We'll definitely go down the route of private lessons but hopefully the kids will be OK in the group lessons. I'll definitley be stressing English speaking instructors - there has to be a few of them!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're going to Val Cenis in Jan,
http://www.valcenis.com/index-uk.htm
This site has lots of useful info.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ESF On-line booking is now available.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lessons for the kids all booked!!
latest report