Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gas insulated ski jackets

Poster: A snowHead
There’s a new concept in ski clothes on its way – insulation with a noble gas – which will let you regulate how hot or cold you are on the ski slope. Called the Klymit insulation system, it works in a similar to argon gas-filled double glazing. An airtight bladder made of commercially available waterproof-breathable membranes is sewn into the ski jacket or trousers. Then a tiny cartridge is connected to a valve and the bladder's baffles are inflated with a noble gas such as argon, krypton or xenon. The resulting free space acts as an insulating barrier between the outside air and the body, providing warmth and comfort. Noble gases are apparently about five times more efficient at insulating than currently available fabrics. ...So, when you’re out skiing and getting too warm, you’ll be able to open the valve to release some of the gas. And, when you’re getting too cold, you’ll be able to refill your clothes with gas from a lipstick-sized ‘Hotshot’ canister. This should provide 7-10 refills for jackets or trousers. What’s more, sweat is still passed to the outside in the same way as current waterproof-breathable clothing.

The manufacturer says that puncture resistant membranes and heat-welded seams will eliminate the chance of gas leakage, but each item will nonetheless be sold with a patch kit for emergencies. They anticipate that the first garments using Klymit technology will hit ski shops in time for the 2009-10 ski and snowboard season.

See: http://www.klymit.com/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So much easier than taking off or putting on a layer Laughing Can't remember the last time I got too hot or too cold. I'm out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can imagine the fun to be had in getting that past airport security.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

And, when you’re getting too cold, you’ll be able to refill your clothes with gas from a lipstick-sized ‘Hotshot’ canister
Brings a whole new meaning to filling your pants.

If you overfill and take your jacket off, will it float away? Health & safety issue there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what about smoking on the chairlift?? Razz

no doubt they'll sell shedloads, folk'll buy any old shite (have been known to prove that theory myself from time to time rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nike ACG had a jacket that you could inflate by blowing into it. Pretty much the same principle and cheaper than buying cannisters.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
barry wrote:
what about smoking on the chairlift?? Razz

Still arguably a bad idea, but Noble gases are totally unreactive (well, almost) due to a full outer shell of valence electrons which makes them fairly unreactive. You certainly won't set the gas on fire by waving a lit cigarette near it... Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My ski pants are frequently gas filled already. Very warming it is too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shallimus, I look forward to explaining that to The Department of Homeland Security on my next trip over the pond
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This has been done before, not so long back there was a blow up jacket that used air, not so noble but readily available.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if the noble gas thing is a marketting ploy - I bet ordinary compressed air would do nearly as good a job
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

not so long back there was a blow up jacket that used air

Yes, I tried one on, 3 years ago I think - Degré 7 IIRC. It wasn't very comfortable - or not the right shape for me, anyway. I did think it was quite a good idea but it didn't seem to catch on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I think you are correct.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, try selling that to the diver's dry suit inflation people.

http://www.decompression.org/maiken/Why_Argon.htm

What is weakly explained in the OP if at all is how the whole "gas tight but water wicking" behaviour is achieved.

The material benefits of argon may be completely swamped by cr@p engineering of that little feature.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
If you overfill and take your jacket off, will it float away?

No, because they only mention the heavier noble gases. But inflate with enough neon or (especially) helium, and it would.

Sounds like a daft idea to me.
snow conditions
You could relax in a radon bath for a very short period.
snow conditions
Sounds to me like these are likely to cost an absolute fortune, you'll have trouble with airport security (they love all our other ski gear, this will be something else they can ban as it may kill and innocent child with its sinister unreactive gas, or some such excuse). Personally I'm a fan of the "to hot? undo your coat. to cold? keep a jumper in your bag just in case" method:-)
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
If you overfill and take your jacket off, will it float away?

No, because they only mention the heavier noble gases. But inflate with enough neon or (especially) helium, and it would.

Sounds like a daft idea to me.

Inflate with helium? Daft idea? What, when you could entertain your chair lift companions to endless renditions of "Yellow Submarine" in Pinky and Perky stylie..... Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy