Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The 2008/09 ski touring equipment thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There seems to be more equipment becoming available to tourers ....

I'm interested in the new Black Diamond Boots
http://www.feedthehabit.com/new-gear/black-diamond-factor-method-freeride-alpine-touring-ski-boots/

Might go dynafit this year (from freerides) so also looking at the garmont Axon & Dyanfit Zzeus too. Then there's the new Volkl Polar Bear ski, developed from but lighter than the Mantra.

What else is new on the touring front?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB,

What do you think of G3 skis..
and what weight would you want the ski to be?
2kgs..or ??

I assume 3.7 for the Mantra is per pr..?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, had a lot of fun at Revelstoke on G3 El Hombres, damned light ski. Gets knocked about a bit in the crud. Sidecut? Ha. Great in the powder, stable at speed and good on landings.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
DB,

What do you think of G3 skis..
and what weight would you want the ski to be?
2kgs..or ??

I assume 3.7 for the Mantra is per pr..?

Never been on a G3 ski but have read a few good reviews. In my experience it's a lot more difficult to test touring as opposed to race or even powder skis.

My everyday touring ski is a Volk Snow-wolf 2006 model @ ca 2.5 kg per pair exc bindings (believe the current model has a new magnet skin clip system and is beefed up increasing the weight to ca 3.0 kg). I'm only 68 kg so don't need a supper stiff /burly ski. Tend to go for skis without much if any metal in the body. I try to keep weights below 3.0 kg for an everyday touring and 3.5 kg for a "powder day touring ski". A larger/heavier skier would probably allow around 0.5 kg more for their skis.

I'm on the lookout for a "powder day touring ski", considering skis such as the K2 Coomba, Völkl Polar Bear, Dynafit FT 10.0 Carbon, Dynafit FT Manaslu 08/09. G3 have tended to be too heavy for me in the past (the G3 El Hombre is 3.9 kg / pair @ 177 cm) but the G3 Saint 08/09 comes in at 3.2 kg so is worth considering.

Yes the Mantras are 3.7 kg per pair (without binding) @ 170 cm. http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_53_320_397&products_id=4104

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 7-10-08 10:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I brought the missus some Dynafit bindings on a Fischer Tour Extreme 175cm, the plan was to ditch the skis and put the binders on something she's more comfortable skiing on, she already has Scarpa Lasers / Magic. Only now I'm really jealous. Crying or Very sad

The bindings are amazing, even the skis look great. I only got into multi day tours two years ago and was happy on my tele gear but this year doing the Haute Route in the first week of May I really wish my heel was locked. After 6 hours of hard skining and the snow is awful, tele ain't much fun.

I would have been less tempted to get back to A/T if the boots hadn't changed so much. I'm going to try on BD Factors & the alternatives and see how I feel. I needed a new pair of tele boots to skin in as my freeride boots are too heavy and too big so whatever happens I'm in for a new pair of boots.

I'm going to go short too. Embarassed Dropping from my current 191cm TT to a 180cm TT. For real touring. And carry on with my 191cm Faction 13s for powder skining.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm going to go short too. Dropping from my current 191cm TT to a 180cm TT

Whys that? you generally slam anyone without the longest / fattest skis available. you had me convinced my karmas are way too short for tele...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, Let us know how you get on. My (very old) combination of T1s, Superloops and Big easys is a bit lighter than Mrs Skis Frischi, Phat Luv, Denali combo...I don't see (NTN ?) a tele setup being much lighter than alpine any more .....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think Dynastar were going to produce a lightweight version of the mythic rider which looked interesting.

also DIN12 dynafit bindings are out this year

no changes for me in my gear, although I might get some new skins

skimottaret, expect parlor is going short for weight plus the fact that you don't generally ski quite so aggressively on long tours
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yeah, I don't need anything this year, so have brought new jacket, skis, bindings and still need to sort skins and googles... Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, when i said no changes i meant to the hardwear. of course i have bought new kecks, goggles etc etc Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, what Arno said. I truly believe the misconception that short skis make your life so much easier is false - whether you're skiing on or off piste. However for touring, weight is a big factor and most of the time the snow is not so stellar so you resort to survival skiing. Survival skiing is best done on short, light gear that is easier to throw around. Apply that argument to your average skier and having short skis means that it's easier to 'manhandle' the ski in to doing what you want. If you want your skiing to improve get a ski that means you have to ski it with better technique.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, ta, fair enough... not to derail the thread but im not so sure longer skis neccessarily require better technique cause you cant always manhandle short skis. When i first tried 165 race dept SL skis i struggled with chatter and getting early edge grip so i think it can go both ways in terms of using different equipment needing better techinque..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy