Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing Storage wax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After the lat run of the season over in fernie, we left our skis and boards to have a final fettle while we went for q beer. Picked them up with a thick covering of storage wax : the ski tech assured us that we'd probably want to remove it before skiing next, as it "wouldn't be very nice" - or words to that effect anyway!

So, what's the best way - drop them in the ski shop (appaprently Ellis Brigham quoted £15!) either in the UK or when we get to Val d'Isere, get out an old credit card and scrape it off, or use an old iron? It would be good if we could sort themn before leaving for our holiday as we should arrive in time to grab a couple of hors on the slopes on arrival day, all being well

Cheers

NBT
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless there's loads of it, I'd just ski it off. It should be gone after your first couple of runs.

I usually get mine serviced after a trip and get them to leave wax on for storage, never been able to feel the change as the wax came off to be honest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you can see wax on the surface or can scrape it off, then it would definitely benefit from a bit of attention.

if by a storage wax you mean that it has been properly hot waxed but has not been scraped, then get a scraper (either a ski specific one or another plastic scraper that won't gouge lines into your board) and scrape away until you cannot get any more off. wax on the surface will definitely slow you down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tony Lane wrote:
... wax on the surface will definitely slow you down.

Maybe a good thing for the first couple of runs of the season Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just bumping this up in case like anyone else can privede a definitive answer?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually it was covered in another thread. But, the answer is it depends how much wax is on them. Depending on the type of snow it'll come off quite quick as a rule if it just residual from an ordinary waxing but by storage people often mean something a bit more, in that case the non-serrated variety of ice-scrapers for car windows will do the trick nicely. The "full monty" would be to strip (geddit? Very Happy ) the wax with a special purpose solvent and re-wax, a big deal for glide waxing on cross country skis I believe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
to be honets I don;t know how much wax is on them, I just picked them up and put them away, but I have a feeling there's a fair bit.

Looks like I'm going to be spending an evening in the garage with the car window scraper then....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's for next week I'd not worry, one run on some cannoned snow should take it straight off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt, parafin will remove wax, otherwise a de-waxer, but storage wax shouldn't be too much of a problem, normally it's just an coating over the edges to stop them rusting and would be scraped off after your first ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine we're waxed at the end of last season and I've been told I can just ski it off. If I run my hands along the underside of my skis they feel very nice and smooth anyway. I'll find out on Saturday
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had forgotten about this

we just skiied on them, noticed no difference at all and when we looked all the storage was had been scrubbed off
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can't spell today I meant WERE not WE'RE
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For the future, you could scrape it off with a plastic/metal scraper, then run a semi-stiff brush from tip to tail of the skis. After that polish the bottoms with a scotchbrite or similar pad to remove any extra bits from the brushing/scraping.
This is probably way overkill for most of us though; I would have just skied it off as well Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
usually if the wax is thick and unscrapped you'd get a suction effect when skiing, maybe on very cold snow with corse crystals it should be ok but in humid/wet snow it'd be awful. Depending where you stored them they could be covered in dust and grit so i'd scrape the top layer off with an old wax scraper or loyalty card Little Angel so u have clean wax to work with, then either just scrape the rest off and use a brush to work in some structure or use an old (non steam) iron and get rid of the rest of the wax and put a nice fresh layer on and iron in, cool and scrape, then lob on a bit of swix f4 or similar for a lovely friction free glide Laughing

If you travel by car and don't have a roof box, having your skis serviced and not having them scrapped means they are good to be chucked on the roof without rusting etc. Just use a bit of gaffer tape over the end facing the front of the car and they will remain clean. When you arrive, scrape and go
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy