Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parents who don't ski!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads.... it looks as if my girlfriend has invited my parents for our next ski hol (early Jan). They are probably a bit long in the tooth for learning to ski and therefore a resort with a bit to offer off the slopes is needed.... either sightseeing or other activities. I'm sure they will enjoy the whole atmosphere and winter feel...... just don't want to run the risk of them being bored!

Does anyone have any suggestions for such resorts? Any advice would be gratefully received.... Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbuhel? You can train it to Innsbruck for the day for example.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How old are they? Smile You're never too old - if you can breathe................
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand wrote:
How old are they? Smile You're never too old - if you can breathe................

70!?

I'd never forgive myself if one if them broke a leg!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
....Banff? There are seriously loads of places. Where do you want to ski then folks can start narrowing it down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv wrote:
....Banff? There are seriously loads of places. Where do you want to ski then folks can start narrowing it down.

In the past, we've always headed to Austria. Europe I guess would be ideal.........?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TaffyApple, This year the couple I go skiing with took one of their fathers. He is 74, never been on skis in his life and by the end of the week was happily skiing blues and easier reds. As long as you are fit enough, age should not be a concern.

A checkup with their GP would probably be advisable first though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wengen.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think you would go far wrong with Zermatt, have a look at their website, if your in laws manage to take their eyes off the Matterhorn Smile there is plenty for them to do, oh and the skiing is great, my favourite place so far Very Happy .
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TaffyApple, oops sorry: should that be in laws to be depending on picking right ski resort.[/b]
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wengen was full of happy British pensioners in the summer so is probably OK for them in the winter too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
<snip>

Ooops - don't know why that posted twice

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 8-10-08 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely somewhere that allows them to potter about on trains and Switzerland is great for this. So, another vote for Wengen or Murren, plus Zermatt and Klosters. As people have said on other threads, the Jungfrau region is brilliant for skiers and non-skiers to be able to meet up at mountain restaurants.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My parents went by themselves in their late 60s as non-skiers to Avoriaz on a cheap package deal. They had a great time, helped by it being sunny days. Lots of sitting outside with a drink watching the world ski by Toofy Grin Although I wouldn't particularly recommend Avoriaz for non-skiers I don't think!

Kitzbuhel would be great, especially once you get the hang of the local ski bus, which goes up the valley. Kitzbuhel itself is a lovely town and then there's lots of opportunities for day train trips - Zell am See is only about 40 mins away by train, Innsbruck about an hour or so. And they can go up the Hahnenkammbahn gondola to the top of the mountain where there's a restaurant and a musuem Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TaffyApple, if your parents are able to tackle some slightly strenuous walking they'd probably enjoy snowshoes. They're cheap to hire and easy to use if you don't go off trekking through deep powder. Most resorts have some prepared walks for snowshoes, and they give you a great sense of solidity and safety, with a pair of walking poles. They probably won't much enjoy icy and slippery pavements - which pose a greater risk of breaking something (wrists, most likely) than gentle beginner ski lessons would! A pair of snowboots with really good non slip soles are a must.
snow report
Thanks guys..... we went to Kitzbuhel last year, so sort of know our way around.... a little anyway! Wengen looks interesting ... so I think it will probably come down to one of these two.
Thanks again for all the good advice....!
ski holidays
I would have thought Zermatt is too cold? The town itself that is.
snow conditions
TaffyApple, The oldest beginner I've ever taught was 82 and his wife was 78. They didn't get good, but they could stand up, slide and plough by the end of the week. 70 is fine, if they're reasonably fit. But the should have private lessons not group. Why don't you plan for March and they can ski with Butterfly's two older beginner friends on her cautious week? ( see thread in 'Trips') One of those isn't far off 70 IIRC.

Listen - they can break something anywhere, and coming out of bars onto icy streets is far more dangerous. If they do ski though, don't go to Wengen as the nursery slopes are not suitable. If they don't ski make sure you go somewhere where they can meet you up on the mountain for lunch at various restaurants, and there are also lots of other things to do. My mum didn't ski and was hopelessly bored in most ski resorts. There's only so long you can spend swimming every day.

HAVE FUN AND STOP BEING AGEIST. Very Happy
snow conditions
My parents still ski with us - mum is 70, dad is 72
ski holidays
I hope I'm skiing at 70, thats if I havent popped my clogs and there is still snow.
latest report
Christopher,
Quote:

I hope I'm skiing at 70

Me too, but that's a bit different from starting at that age.
snow conditions
TaffyApple, I'm going to suggest Monetier-les-Bains,new and luxurious thermal spa, cross-country skiing, easily accessible nursery slopes for ski lessons, several options to meet other skiers at lunchtime, and a regular ski bus which goes to Briancon, a World Heritage site with a walled citadel, gorgeous painted sundials, and a beautiful collegiate church.
ski holidays
Quote:

cross-country skiing

Monetier-les-Bains sounds lovely but I don't know why people suggest cross country skiing for people of 70 who have never skied before. It's much harder work in cardio-vascular terms and you are likely to fall over far more when learning. A gentle nursery slope, a sunny day, a sympa instructor and a pair of nice short easy carvers would be far, far, easier!

If they wanted to have a go at skiing, I'd encourage them. But not otherwise.
snow report
Quote:

I don't know why people suggest cross country skiing for people of 70 who have never skied before. It's much harder work in cardio-vascular terms and you are likely to fall over far more when learning. A gentle nursery slope, a sunny day, a sympa instructor and a pair of nice short easy carvers would be far, far, easier!

From personal experience of aged parent and in laws I disagree. Neither do either now but both have joined us on holidays. Seperately they hated the heavy cumbersome boots and skis. Both enjoyed the relaxation of light equipment in quieter beautiful surroundings. Can be cardiovascular but needn't be any harder than a country walk and far less pressure through the joints.

Quote:

If they wanted to have a go at skiing, I'd encourage them. But not otherwise.

Agree completely with that though.
latest report
I suppose if you just shuffle round one of those flat circuits cross-country skiing is not specially cardio vascular! But learning here in Les Saisies I did find it quite hard work and also found the quality of balance required really, really, challenging. Learning to snowplough on cross country skis is not easy - especially one of those demi-chasse neige things, lifting one ski out of the tracks. I suppose it depends where you learn and what approach the instructor takes. This is probably quite a tough challenging cross country resort - you don't shuffle round completely on the level even on the beginners area! Certainly the equipment is lovely and light - but I often found myself longing for those rigid boots and a good edge to stop myself on! I fell a lot, and having started both disciplines about the same time found snowboarding a lot easier.

If people want a nice walk in beautiful surroundings, with a very low risk of injury, I still think snowshoes are a much better idea!
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

I suppose if you just shuffle round one of those flat circuits cross-country skiing is not specially cardio vascular!

I guess nursery slopes vary as much in x-country as alpine. wink

The parent and In-Laws both enjoyed it at Vallee Claree outside Serre Che. I think the variety of slopes were as easy or challenging as you like and it certainly can be a serious workout. Haven't tried snowshoes but x-country was certainly well appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy