Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to the Alps between Christmas and New Year - train or drive...some questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Just back to snowheads after the summer as am in the process of booking two ski hols...nice to be back Smile)

Have the use of a chalet over New Year in the French Alps - unsure yet whether it will be La Plagne, Alpe d'Huez or La Tania - either will suit me quite well!

Currently debating whether to drive down, or book the train. I'm getting varying reports on how much the tolls are - from £50 up to £80, and route finding sites too are giving varying costs. Anyone have any real world experience?

Also, my new (inherited!) gas guzzling 4x4 is not going to be cheap to drive down - reckon as much as maybe 250-300 on fuel - train really does seem to appeal!

But whether the trains will be running on boxing day / 27th December, I don't know - raileurope isn't helping, maybe will call tomorrow.

Any thoughts / experiences appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eludlow, I think the trains should be running, but the autoroute tolls are 68,90€ one way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Helen - I've really only looked at RailEurope at the moment for trains, and the Eurostar website - any other recommendations or tips?

Ed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ed Ludlow, RailEurope says:
Currently, trains in France can be booked until 13 December 08. From 15 October 08 onwards, it will be possible to book up to 90 days in advance.
If you look on voyages-sncf you can get timetables for 26/27 December but not yet buy tickets. There are quite a lot of TGVs from Paris to the alps on those days. I'm trying to get to Tignes on Boxing day myself - I've booked Eurostar to Paris, but hopng to get cheap TGV tickets.
You can book the direct Eurostar to BSM etc. on 26 December already.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks wabbey - I don't think I looked at rail europe that thoroughly!

Would much rather train than drive I think...will have a look tomorrow more thoroughly.

What are you expecting to pay for the TGV from Paris to BSM?

Ed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ed Ludlow, I've just checked last year's emails from RailEurope:
I paid £28 Paris to BSM on one trip; £50 on another.
Also got £37 coming the other way in an overnight couchette a couple of times.

Plus about £60 return to Paris on Eurostar, booked seperately (usually cheaper that way). You have to book this 3 or 4 months in advance for the best fares (not looking good for 26/27th December now).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're a member of the SCGB you might be able to get a return from London to BSM on the Eurostar for 120gbp. It may be too late now but worth a try.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ed Ludlow, Exact tolls (August 2008) are here:
The tolls are €68.90 so that's €137.80 there and back or around £107 at today's exchange rate.

To be precise
A26 Calais to Reims 267.2K € 18.90
A26 Reims to Villefranche limas 381.0k €26.90
A4 Reims to APRR 105.7k €8.60
A43 St Quentin F. Barriere to Chambery Nord 67k €9.80
A43 Chignin Barriere to Ste Helene Barriere 36.0K €4.70

Total as at August 2008 €68.90

My 4x4 does around 30/35 mpg. Diesel is marginally cheaper in France so I reckon on about £155 each way
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks boredsurfing - I'm getting swayed more towards the train I think. My car I think is more like 25-30 mpg and is a petrol.

Am a skiclub member so will see what I can get there dealwise.

Thanks all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Toll prices as mentioned above seem familiar.

Personal perference of course - but I like the drive as know who I am stuck with and can set my own schedule. Parents take the train (although we take their luggage!!!!) and love it
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris - in a way I do fancy the drive as I don't mind driving. BUT I think it may work out cheaper to get the train, and also the idea of having a few drinks and then falling asleep sounds quite appealing Smile

Tried to call Eurostar earlier to ask about the SCGB discount availability, but had to cut off after holding for ten minutes as had a meeting.

Will try again later when on the way home!

Ed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy