Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole? Any one been? can they advise me please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First posting on this excellent forum-

I am lucky enough to have booked 11 days in Jackson Hole over Valentines (well Im proposing to my girlfriend and wanted to make it special!)

Does anyone know the mountain well? I am sort of intermediate verging on advanced- first time in Val Thoren going off piste last season, my girlfriend just getting to grips with parallel turns and a fast learner.

Have I bitten off more than I can chew? It seems a great place for advanced. I am worried there is not enough intermediate slopes- we really wanted to have some glade skiing and nice wide pistes....

Anyone got any first hand expirience?

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO you'll be fine, plenty of nice runs off the gondola. As you stand at the bottom of the mountain, looking up, the skiing goes hardest to easiest, left to right....

regards,

greg
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going for this first time this winter too (fingers crossed) - there are mellower slopes at Snowking which is in town and at Targhee over the other side of the pass but given it has a lot of wealthy destination skiers I'm sure JHMR has plenty of flattering blues and blue/blacks too.

Gondola and Apresvous areas look mellow enough

http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/mtn.maps.asp
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
many thanks Greg- any nice glades that are easy sking? Or nice gentle long runs for intermediates?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
See if you can find this book anywhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Hole-Ski-Guide-Viola/dp/1575401126/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223232027&sr=8-10&tag=amz07b-21

There are nice long (by American standards) blues off Apres Vous chair and the Gondola.

I have some video here which shows you some of the on and off piste stuff. This was filmed over New Years week, so not that busy Smile

The off piste can be "hucking cliffs" but equally can be less daunting...

http://uk.youtube.com/v/X1fibj0Vglc

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow! looks beautiful! Many thanks- just wishing it was that empty for Valentines- somehow I doubt it! Have to think of a nice piste to propose now! Either that or a chair lift! wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found the slopes at Jackson Hole to be like this: Blue = Hard Blue to Black at most western resorts, Black = Double black at most Western resorts. The slopes are wide, but the mountain is steeper than most. I can ski some blacks at other resorts. But at Jackson Hole I stuck to blues almost all the time.
The wideness of the slopes may help your girlfriend. But she will find it steep.

Andy
San Diego, California
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tbanting... i hope your future fiancee isn't reading this!!!

good luck though and i hope she says yes Very Happy

now, enough about the bird... let's talk about the skiing!!!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/v/_wZrgqr8Buk&feature=related
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Im proposing to my girlfriend.....
AND
Quote:

Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Ahem.......Any married snowHead like to comment?? (I'm too diplomatic - and too happily married.... Little Angel )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The skiing is lovely, at JH I spent 3 weeks there last year and was there for valentines day IIRC, it could be very romantic !

But anyway it was no where near as busy as what Val thorens or somewhere like that would be, although it will be the busiest week of the year probably they are really organised with queues and buses and everything ...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went there when I was in the 3rd grade. Vaguely remembering it...

Double blacks are some of the steepest lift serviced registered chutes in the world. Ex.: Corbet's Couloir, Tower Three Chute, Alta Chutes, Expert Chutes... I could go on...

Blacks are very steep and mostly ungroomed, if any are groomed. Many would be registered as double blacks at other ski areas. They are mostly wide open runs/bowls.

Blues/Double Blues are also very steep, considering they are blues. Most are groomed, but not all (a lot of the double blues are NOT groomed). Long, single steep fall line runs. 80% of them would be blacks at other resorts.

Greens are the best in the country for a FIRST TIMER only wishing to stay on greens and not going to blues. They are extremely wide, quite flat, serviced by a low/no line high speed chair. Amazing for the first timer and not going on blues. The reason I say "not going on blues" is because the blues are significantly steeper and more challenging than the greens.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can say that Jakson Hole has been the best ski holiday I have had yet. Although it took sometime to get there it is a wonderful place- amazing skiing, excellent instruction and very friendly. The longest had to wait for a lift was around 3 mins- with the exception of the surperb tram to the top- that took around 20 mins.

I doubt any ski trips to Europe will compare for me. Hardly any queues, courteous staff and skiers and amazing accomodation at the North Colter Lodge via Ski World.

Proposed to my girlfriend up on a gondola (even the guy sorting out the gondolas allowed me to organise one for just the two of us) at around 2000 metres. Try getting up off the floor on one knee with ski boots on!

Truly a great holiday- I think its a lot of saving up from now on for the USA and Canada instead of the crowded slopes of Europe! rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tbanting, glad you liked it. Still my favourite place in the world to ski.

Did she say yes? If so - I can recommend the childcare and kids ski school there... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
She did say yes! Phew!

May be back on the forums in a couple of years to get those details from you! wink

2 further years of kid free skiing yet! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy