Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are my boots ready to be replaced?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, need a bit of advice...

I've had my current rossi boots for four years now, they've had 15 weeks skiing on them, the problem im having is that they no longer "snap" into my bindings (i usually have to pull the heel restraint up myself). The heel is fairly worn but it's difficult to tell whether it's worn down enough to be the cause of this problem or not. Could it be possible the bindings have ceased up (for want of a better word) and lost any lubrication they had? The skis and bindings are four years old too. Either way i need to know, got some punishers on their way for this season and i just want some light shed on this so i can start trying to get money together for some new boots if they're needed.

What do you guys think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ohalex, hi. I think that now you've asked yourself the question, you're going to be buying new boots before long, whether you need them or not.

There'll be a boot and/or binding expert along shortly to give you a more helpful answer, I'm sure.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 5-10-08 19:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ohalex, Whether you get new boots or not, I would get the bindings checked anyway just to be sure.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ohalex, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

I'd say the issue was with the Bindings rather than your Boots. If you're keeping them get them serviced and mention the problem. A worn heel shouldn't really affect the binding unless it's really bad, as the binding interfaces between the top of the heel piece and the flat of the sole under the heel, not on the very back of the sole.
You should get 20 weeks out of a pair of boots, i.e. a season. So 4 years and 15 weeks, they're getting close, but might be still OK. depends really on how they feel, a new pair will obviously be better, but how much better?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brilliant, thanks for your advice so far. I was sure the boot wasn't too worn down for it to be a problem, the wear has more or less worn the corner right out of the heel, I'd say it's lost around 1/2 inch missing from the very back. Looks like the bottom of the boot is making contact with the binding at this point but can't make out with how much pressure. Brand new skis on their way with new bindings too so fingers crossed when i step into them it will become apparent what is at fault
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You should get 20 weeks out of a pair of boots, i.e. a season.

Is that all? I reckon I got close to 60 weeks (3 seasons) out of my last boots. I then sold them on for just over half of what I originally paid for them. Definitely got my money's worth out of them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Oh please. I know absolutely no-one who buys new boots every season, instructors and pisteurs included. Are you some kind of boot salesman or what?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im sure it's depends how much walking you do in them and on what surface...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep this is a daft discussion, you're boots will last forever if you leave them in the box in your garage. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I thought the answer was just plain 'Yes'.

Any boot is ready, is the owner?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
these are the boots in question, wear is the same on both heels.

Photobucket
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ohalex, Just change the heel pieces, we've got dozens. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the wear is down past the heel piece at the very back. guess im gonna have to wait til i've got my new skis, if they snap in fine then that's great, otherwise spk here i come.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Oh please. I know absolutely no-one who buys new boots every season, instructors and pisteurs included. Are you some kind of boot salesman or what?

Maybe you should get out more.
Mine are dead in 18 months. That's 3 weeks on snow and 3 times a week artificial. 20 weeks is a boots life expectancy - FACT
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Some boots last longer than your ones, mine are still fine after ~500 days on snow.
latest report
Spyderman, Not fact at all, sorry, 30,000 flexes at 22° without exposure to UV A/B is fact. 20 weeks is a clumsy guess at best.
ski holidays
FACT
latest report
Laughing
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Yep this is a daft discussion, you're boots will last forever if you leave them in the box in your garage. rolling eyes

No they wont. The plastics will degrade through exposure to ozone, as well as plasticiser migration. keeping them in the dark only limits the degradation through UV exposure. Not using them stops the work hardening of the plastic.
Assuming identical model, is a 2 year old unused boot as good as a new one? No.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
Spyderman, Some boots last longer than your ones, mine are still fine after ~500 days on snow.

Are they, or have you just got used to them?
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, 20 weeks is not a how long they will last answer, it's a life expectancy.
snow report
Hi

1) It's a Rossi with cockpit shell, therefore on could argue its not a ski boot rolling eyes
2) The relevant DIN hasn't hardly been wore at all -

I would agree with those who suggest you look at getting your heel piece checked. If it is a Rossi/look binding then it is more likely to have dirt blocking the action - nothing you couldn't clean yourself.
snow report
tailskidder wrote:
Hi

1) It's a Rossi with cockpit shell, therefore on could argue its not a ski boot rolling eyes

Wow, maybe that's where im going wrong?
ski holidays
Spyderman, 20 weeks is the boot's life expectancy. I don't get that, what do you mean?
latest report
ohalex, Sorry, just a jibe now't personal.
snow report
i know, to be honest if i could go back with the knowledge i have now i wouldn't have got them. that said they've been a pretty good ride as i like plenty of flex, think im going to see what happens when my punishers arrive, got a salomon binding on there and like i said before, if they snap in ok then i'll keep them for the trips i do this season, otherwise im gonna look into some SPK Kaos or Salomon Foils
ski holidays
ohalex, Ghost all the way
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER yeah they seem really nice but the price tag is pretty steep, if i got an all out freestyle boot i'd probably go with the Kaos to be honest, simply because of the price. Although i don't spend as much time in the park as i used to.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ohalex, Then bin the idea and buy a proper boot with a good flex. Clean a few windows, wash a few cars, get the cash and do it right.
ski holidays
Quote:

20 weeks is a boots life expectancy - FACT

Yeah right. Clearly someone has sneaked into my house at least twice in the past six years and replaced mine with new ones. rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

20 weeks is a boots life expectancy - FACT

Yeah right. Clearly someone has sneaked into my house at least twice in the past six years and replaced mine with new ones. rolling eyes

Maybe there really is a boot fairy. Wink
snow conditions
At the end of the season my boots are quite slack and need replacing but by the Christmas they are fine again, maybe the boot fairy only works in the summer months and then only on boots that are used on proper snow Very Happy
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Spyderman, 20 weeks is the boot's life expectancy. I don't get that, what do you mean?

We had the same issues with the life expectancy of Helmets a while ago, 2 yearly replacement was the manufacturers advise IIRC.
No different to putting an eat by date on a yoghurt pot, it might well be edible 2 days after the date, but it might not taste as good.
Manufacturers have worked out through testing such as the flex testing you mentioned, experience and feedback through use, plastics degradation, wear to liners, boot soles, etc, etc, the 'Life expectancy' of their products, a period in which it is expected to perform within it's original specification.
I'm sure that commercial pressures have erred this period towards a shorter time, owing to the fact that they of course want to sell more boots and don't want to be subject to warranty claims for boots that have been used harder than average and not survived a longer period.

If someone buys a pair of Boots from you and asks the question 'How long will these last me?' What is your answer? Puzzled
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
At the end of the season my boots are quite slack and need replacing but by the Christmas they are fine again, maybe the boot fairy only works in the summer months and then only on boots that are used on proper snow Very Happy

Maybe your feet get fatter every summer. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 monster77
monster77
ohalex, Looking at your picture, I would quess that the heel plate has worn enough so that it does not press on the tongue on the heel binding. You can check this yourself. Put the ski on a workbench and fit the boot by hand and see where the heel touches.

I had a very hung over friend who spent ages trying to click into a ski one morning. We eventually found that the tongue on the heel binding had snapped off, it was fine the day before. but it gave me loads of laughs as he struggled to get the ski on and his stomach down through all the exertions and bending over. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Spyderman, If you asked me that question i would give you a series of answers, regarding liner, wear and tear and plastic degridation due to elements. I wouldn't say 20 weeks, FACT that's for sure(very misleading and not true in many contexts.) My current ski boots are 4 seasons old, well maintained and had around 300 ski days on them. I have replaced my riser plates once, liners once and have added a booster to combat the 'V' cut tests i once did. They'll be awesome this season and if i look after them this winter, will be awesome next.
snow conditions
So my boots have done around 40 weeks. But then Car Mechanics cars tend to run longer than the rest of ours i guess.
snow conditions
Your' 20 weeks will depend on Polymer type too. Co-polymers less subject to unstable hardening effects, depending on the chain.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Maybe there really is a boot fairy. Wink

Works in Shamonicks, keep up wink
ski holidays
monster77, i looked at this last night, the sole of the boot was pushing the tongue down and bringing the brakes up fine. At the back where the wear is the boot seems to still be interacting with the heel binding but i can't tell if there just isn't enough pressure being applied or because the binding has dirt in it's action as it needs a little help snapping into a locked/upright position.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy