Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

himalayas with a family .. advice pls pls pls

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ski-ed Nepal or India? We're looking for a resort that has the same range of pistes as Val Thorens, as that's where our children (9 11 13) have skied before (two weeks). They're ok and will tackle a black but don't like them. If anyone has either experience or advice I'd be very grateful. I'm trying to locate piste maps on the internet but with no luck.

Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
indiabirdie, hello, and good luck. I've walked in the Himalayas but not skied in them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why thank you
unfortunately I will never be able to persuade my children to walk the Himalayas

it must be a stunning place to ski or hike
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only one I've ever heard about is Gulmarg,
http://www.gulmarg.org/
which you might not want to go to with kids as it's in Kashmir, though I don't know what the current advice is. Some interesting articles and pics here:

http://www.snowsphere.com/india/ski-gulmarg-kashmir-india-pictures-3

I don't even know if there are *are* any others though it would be interesting to find out!

edit - yes, you can ski in Manali and a few other places
http://www.india-adventure-travel.com/winter-sports/snow-skiing.html

...and some advice here (scroll down) - as you might expect, it sounds like it might be a bit...interesting! No avalanche control, no piste maintenance, no first aid etc etc I imagine that's why there are no piste maps either...
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061230003929AAIDhuo

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 4-10-08 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this a troll?

I can't imagine a Himalayan resort ever like Val Thorens. I think Gulmarg and Manali would be a hugely different experience - not necessarily for the worse from some of the video footage I've seen of Gulmarg but not the definition of European family friendly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you might want to read this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=987211&highlight=gulmarg#987211
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Firebug.. thank you so much for all that research. I'll check all those links. Though it all looks a bit worrying. Am definitely not a troll, we live in Asia and are looking for safe family ski-ing, and I must admit I thought there'd been some serious development up there! Although one resort was kyboshed by the local religious leaders I think. I know there won't be anything like VT but I meant, you know, the mix of pistes, not all heli ski-ing and the really adventurous stuff. But I didn't articulate it well. Stanton thank you I tried to trawl back in the archive but I'm new to the forum and didn't find anything. Will read.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blimey stanton you don't pull any punches do you.. have just read headline..

flippin ec

but thanks for alerting me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flippin ec stanton ..but not rethinking yet.. possibly a redirect to Nepal
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
have recovered slightly

firebug they are excellent links thank you
I couldn't get the yahoo one to work but the others are very helpful
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No problem Smile it's something I'd like to do. Fixed that link now, it's well worth a read. There's a good article I have in a back issue of Powder about Gulmarg but essentially it seems to be a place for experts....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love the advice about ski clothing from the India Adventure Travel site:

"What to wear
Depends on what level skier you are. If you're a beginner, any loud colour will do, the brighter the better. This will enable other beginners to see you clearly from a distance, and plan a course, such that no matter what you do, they will run into you. If you're an expert skier, you'll prefer pastels, earth tones and lighter colours, making you a less visible target for crash and burn types. The basic skiing gear that is counted for skiing is the flexibility of the clothing. The fabrics that can keep the body's temperature balanced according to the outside climate. "

Sounds, er, interesting skiing in India - a bit like the driving!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are no ski resorts in Nepal. Only three in India. There's as few companies that do ski touring and heli-skiing but it sounds like thats not what you are looking for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just checked in again
thank you to all
it looks like it may be possible but I will have to get a local expat travel agent to organise it and have appropriate conversation about safety both politically and on the elf and safety side

I really thought we could do it in Nepal and it would be safer, sod it
but am determined to do it in the Himalayas if at all possible!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
indiabirdie, Try this site they may be able to help.
latest report
Cheers
To me it looks like Gulmarg ski-ing from the pomas and stage one of the gondola is very do-able for the children.. it's hard to decipher without the usual blue red green notation

if that's so the thing to worry about is the political situation Confused
latest report
indiabirdie, I'm not sure any of it is actually pisted.
ski holidays
This is one (if not ) the oldest heli ski operators

http://www.himachal.com/content/start.html

One note about the Gondola at Gulmarg it has been plague by faults and is frequently closed (for days/weeks) especially the second stage (which has accesses the best skiing).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy