Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Snow in Avoriaz today
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix meteo are forecasting over half a metre of snow during the next three days!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zzz wrote:
Chamonix meteo are forecasting over half a metre of snow during the next three days!

pics please zzz when it arrives Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm in sunny Cape Town for a few days from tomoz but will be out in the snow next week if it is still around.I'll happily post piccies but obviously not of Les Gets wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's settled in Morzine with the 'meteo' predicting 50cm at 1800m by tomorrow - lets wait and see. I will be taking the kids sledging this afternoon in Avoriaz and will post some piccies on our blog later http://www.snowandtrek.blogspot.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zzz, naturally you will include pics of Morzine 800?
So that we have something to compare Les Gets too? wink

Have fun in SA snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loads of snow here this morning, and only 38 days till the lifts here in Chatel open......... Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lou wrote:
zzz, naturally you will include pics of Morzine 800?
So that we have something to compare Les Gets too? wink

Have fun in SA snowHead

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Check it out - http://snowandtrek.blogspot.com/ - will le tyou all know how much is in Avoriaz later.........sorry off to play in the snow....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowandtrek - nice snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoriaz had about 50cm of snow this morning. My 6yr olds legs disappeared in it!! Cold and windy though and the weather has now come in again with more snow foreacst above 1300m this afternoon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
check out the photo from snownadtreks's blog - it's amazing....

Time to get the skins on surely or is there any danger of them flipping a couple of lifts on over the weekend on a 'secret squirrel basis only'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:
check out the photo from snownadtreks's blog - it's amazing....

Time to get the skins on surely or is there any danger of them flipping a couple of lifts on over the weekend on a 'secret squirrel basis only'

Honestly, the pics look nice, and it's a start, but I'd say some more base is needed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any more in Morzine ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kendadj wrote:
Any more in Morzine ?

nope, green all over at the moment
latest report
Snow in Avoriaz
snow conditions
Webcams in Morzine and Les Gets are showing new snow up top
snow conditions
Looks gorgeous at the top of the Chavannes lift:

Not so much at the bottom though...that snow line is BRUTAL!

snow report
Ok Les Gets snowHead 's I'm counting down again now and starting to think about specific pistes. There's one I am curious about that haven't done. From the Chamossiere sector, what is the black (Creux) like? Have done the Arbis next to it and love it though personally think it could be black Shocked especially the first bit.
It looks ok when you go over on the chair. If there were loads of moguls I would probably wait for another day.
latest report
Lou - I know what you mean about the top of Arbis, but the top of Creux is noticeably steeper - especially the first 100m. It then "mellows out" to a constant gradient that is probably only a few degrees shallower than the top of Arbis.

Creux is usually only pisted early in the season (to establish a base) and if there's an avalanche risk.

One of my favourite runs.
snow report
PhillipStanton, thanks, I'll have to see how I am feeling on the day I think or else accidentally fall down at the top and bumslide the first 100m Laughing
latest report
Lou the easiest line off the top is go slightly left (which allows you the option of a bit of traversing!) and then cut across to the right hand side.

You really don't want to bumslide. wink
snow conditions
PhillipStanton,
Quote:

You really don't want to bumslide.

No but I'm not too proud to side slip wink
snow report
PhillipStanton, Creux one of the best bumps runs I've seen. Arbis always disappoints with that funny camber. Nice HP off the back though...
snow conditions
Lou wrote:
No but I'm not too proud to side slip wink

Me neither.
David Murdoch wrote:
PhillipStanton, Creux one of the best bumps runs I've seen...Nice HP off the back though...

Completely agree.

I've been "around the side" of Arbis, but never off the back. You must show me sometime.
snow conditions
It's the 15th today - only two months to go - how will I cope ? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

It's the 15th today - only two months to go - how will I cope ?

I'm sure that says 16th over there --->>>>> or is there a eurotime difference ?? Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, totally agree. Got to the top of Cham and looked down the Creux and thought I'd take the 'easy' option of Arbis - jeez, it was bump city. Mind you, it was 100% good fun, especially the last bit as it levels out and you can really razz it through the trees on that snakey Choucas run.

Aigle Rouge was definitely hairier though - brilliant run.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, I love Arbis - challenging enough at the top and then becoming a fast carving paradise lower down, before then blasting into the trees on Choucas. I didn't get the chance to ski Creux this year - it was closed following an avalanche.
latest report
Specialman, I did Aigle Rouge with a phenomenal hangover a couple of years ago. I'm not quite sure to this day how I got down Shocked but the worst bit was the very end - they had redirected the last bit and we had to go on a very steep & very stoney bit.
latest report
[quote="DallyPaul"][quote]
It's the 15th today - only two months to go - how will I cope ?
[/quote]
I'm sure that says 16th over there --->>>>> or is there a eurotime difference ?? Toofy Grin[/quote]

I hadn't gone to bed, so still considered it the 15th... You [i]do[/i] know that nobody likes a smarta$$ # Very Happy

Anyway - those of us salary slaves a flight away from the white stuff have to hold onto something to brighten our mundane little lives. Do me a favour and look after it for me. Don't ski it all out - please

CW snowHead
snow conditions
FastEddie, my missus still can't do her turns that well but before I'd even prepped myself for going down Arbis, she was sideslipping it at a rate of knots with a massive grin on her face as she launched off the moguls!! Smile There were some really good boarders going down, ollying of the moguls and riding up the side of the hill - really good to watch.

Lou, we only found Aigle Rouge on the second to last day of our trip but we must have done it half a dozen times before the week was out. It was a killer on the legs (and that chair up there was sketchy - I'm no good with heights) but it was worth the suffering - I've never been on a run that eggs you on so much to speed up and do massive carves around those corners. It's like they're banked and made for you to go fast Smile
latest report
We're out in Morzine for half term and can't wait.
It still seems an age away.
We've definately been down Arbis and thought it was great, but can not picture Aigle. Will just have to take a look when we get there.

We're staying on "Route de la Combe a Zore", with a suggestion that it is possible to ski back via Piste B.
Can anybody tell me whether Piste B has snow cannons and how far away from the Pleney lifts can you get onto the road Puzzled
When looking at the village map, I think we are staying close to where the end of "Taille de Mas de la Chenalette" is.
Also is there a way through walking from "Route de la Combe a Zore" to "Taille de Mas de la Chenalette" Puzzled
snow report
Llew, Aigle Rouge is from the top of Pont Du Nyon, a big zig-zag route right from the top. Really, really good Smile
ski holidays
So... are there any hostelries frequented by snowHead s on a regular basis in Morzine or Les Gets?

Most of you seem quite nice (except those who nit-pick about the accuracy of your posts Laughing ) so I'd come to the conclusion that you might know a thing or two about the area.

We really enjoyed Lhotty's & Pointe de Nyon, but failed to find a place in the valley that we could call our "local".

Any recommendations gratefully recieved.... where do the lifties go?

CW
ski holidays
Thanks Specialman, I can see where it is from the piste map, but its 3 years since we last skied the area.
I don't think my memory is quite what it used to be Madeye-Smiley
latest report
cardweg, Bar Bush in Les Gets ... on nights when it's not full of my staff ....
snow conditions
More importantly than where to drink (not often I say that), have a butchers at snow-forcast.com. If it's right there is a decent dump on the way:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Gets/6day/mid

If that comes off and it stays cold the start of the season could be a cracker.
ski holidays
Llew wrote:
...I don't think my memory is quite what it used to be Madeye-Smiley

It's the altitude Smile
latest report
Specialman, pleased that the chair to Point de Nyon was quite scary even for those not suffering. I seem to remember wondering (luckily didn't happen) which way I should lean if sick on a chair Shocked Shocked Please don't get the wrong impression, I really don't make a habit of this Madeye-Smiley
I am going to go back and do it justice at the end of next month. Apart from feeling lousy there was a very erratic French beginner who was hooning it and falling over on every bend. I think I spent much of my time trying to either survive or avoid him.

cardweg, Bar Bush, L'ecurie (down the other end), Canadian Bar on main street, and of course the Irish Bar downstairs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy