Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting started in ski racing (NW England)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Hoping some of you folks might have some advice for me? I fancy having a go at ski racing - pref. at chill factore (as it's my closest). However, I've not been able to find out much besides a quick reference to a ski racing/club night on sundays via their website.

Can anyone help with club contacts or would it be worth asking the staff?

Thanks for any help!

Neil.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vivski's your man (or woman, rather). She's a member at Pendle, who are one of the powerhouse clubs in the country, and I think she does a bit at Chill Factore. rjs also coaches at Castleford, so knows the fridge scene very well. If they don't turn up soon, drop them a Private Message.

For other dry slopes, if you're North of M'cr there's Rossdendale, and to the west I also know of the Oval Club at Bebington on the Wirral, who have a few racers at Nationals, but that's probably a way too far, as is Stoke to the south. Never been to any of them myself mind you!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, I'll have a look at the Pendle club for a start then!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nks, I don't know who coaches the Chill Factore training on Sunday evenings, ask at the slope. Snowsports (and Telford, but they are junior only) train there early on Sunday mornings too.

There is a race at Chill Factore next weekend, people will be there from all the local clubs both days if you wanted to chat to their coaches.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, yeah I heard about that one. Might book a slot that weekend then and ask around.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nks, Hi, only just saw your post Embarassed been a bit lax in my forum checking recently! Agree with others that best way to find out about CFe race training is to ask them - I did have an email with details but seem to have deleted it - AFAIK it's two hours on a Sunday evening and is about £30 a session if you have a CFe membership (about £100 a year I think - prices are on the website). I know one of the coaches is one of our skiers from Pendle but don't know much else. As rjs, said, snowsports would be your other best option, the Pendle coaches run training thro a spinoff club called Avalanche but sessions are pretty well filled up with racers from pendle and a few other clubs.

did you make it to watch the race at the weekend? If I'd read this sooner would have volunteered to meet up as I was there - watching only, decided to give this indoor snow malarkey a miss until I can get some training on it (anyone who's ever seem me try to race on snow will understand why!) Laughing

if you are interested in any more info on the dry slope scene then pm me - I know it's not quite the same as snow but still lots of fun (and much cheaper to train!) Smile I am more familiar with the local dry slope clubs than the snow-based so could be of more help in that area.

PS - dunno if you looked at the Pendle website, but it is shocking - doesn't reflect on the rest of the club's operations - honest! Very Happy

good luck with getting started! you'll be addicted soon enough Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
vivski, From talking to some of the CFe coaches yesterday they are going to change their times to Sunday morning and Tuesday evening.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, ah, thanks! noone should listen to what I say, it's usually out of date!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Training with the chill factore race team coaches ain't the best really. They have i guy who is good but is still only 17 and just getting into coaching amazing young skier though.
The other so called coaches there ain't really inspiring me with confidence. Not sure if there doing it for the right reasons really .

There are plenty of other clubs operating from there Avalanche, Telford and SnowSports. These clubs have well established coaches and if it was me n my money i'd prob go with any of them over the chill factore lot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to do race training at Rossendale dry slope - the trainer we had (Bill) was absolutely brilliant and I would definitely recommend those guys.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
victoriac, unfortunately the setup at rossie has changed quite a bit and the race training there is now a bit below par compared to other clubs (and I say from personal experience cos I did originally train there when I moved to manchester)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skijunkie1, I would be interested to hear more of your views about the coaches at CFe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight. Its just personal opinion. I have been to race training with the chill factore and also with another club. I have watched listened and learned and the other coaches are working at another level to the chill factore ones. Maybe its down to experience and they will get better with time but maybe they are just egotistical egoists.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are alot of young kids and people who are just starting out in the racing area at the CFe race club so the coaches try and put the infomation across in away that is easy to understand. if you are just starting out then that is the perfect place to start.

If you are a skier that has abit of racing background then i would recomend pendle or stoke because all there racers are all taking part in the summer and winter racing. Therefore the coaches go into more detail in the info that they give to the racers

As for the coaches at the CFe they are all level 2 canadian race coach and asia ski instructors and one of the coaches is 2x british champ, on the dryslope england squad and came 2nd over all at the race there the other weekend so between them there skiing and racing know how is pritty good.

As for the coaches at Pendle they done alot of years there now and reconised as some of the best coaches in england and last year 5 of the top 10 racers in britten are from pendle so again they know what there talking about.

Between the two clubs you have the best for what ever you want out of the race training.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyroose, welcome to SnowHeads - good to see someone here who can comment from the upper echelons of the finish list.

For anyone reading this who doesn't know, our new recruit is one of the best skiers on the dryslope circuit. If he talks about coming 2nd etc it's overall Shocked , rather than within a nether regions agegroup category like the rest of us. Just as well his skiing is better than his spelling Wink Laughing
snow report
Thanks for your comments GrahamN, the advantage of being dyslexic is you make a great skier.
latest report
AndyRoose, i am in no way shape or form saying anything untoward about you. You have so much to give to the kids up there and i know for a fact that u are a very very talented skier and you will be an inspiration to them. And you are right agreed Pendle do have some of the best coaches in the contry.
ski holidays
skijunkie1, First of all thank you for your opinion of my skiing it means alot. Secondly i don't disagree with most of your feeling on the coaching at CFe, i just wanted to give a point of view from someone who i would like to think is a big part of both clubs and try and give more infomation about the coaches and there clubs.
snow report
Dyslexia may result in someone putting more effort into sport when they have extra difficulty with academic subjects, but the balance issues associated with it for some people is an extra issue for any sportsman or woman so if you have crossed that extra hurdle well done and good luck.
latest report
Sorry to be slow getting back but thanks for the replies to my question everyone. Some helpful stuff.. I've not started out ski racing anywhere yet but I do have my eye firmly on the chille factore sunday morning sessions. They have a bit on their website now.. It's a bit expensive at £50 per session for non-members though (20 of those and I've got a good week in France inc. flights!).

They do offer members a block of 3 sessions for £90, I'm there quite regularly so I reckon I'll have to join (£100). Perhaps best not to think about how much it adds up to!

Most of the Lancashire dry slopes are a bit of a pain for me to get to, although I'm nr. Kendal a couple of days/week, so I may have a look at that dry slope. Luckily the rec sessions coincide with when I'm there so I'll be having a go at that.
snow conditions
For anyone that does race training at chillfactore:

What is the average age and how good are the guys there?
Do you just pay and show up?
Do you need any gear other than skis and helmet to start (I imagine they start you on brushes and stubbies?)
How crowded does it get? (slope still open to the public I'm guessing)

I've never run gates before but have been skiing SL skis as my piste skis for 2 seasons so would like to give it a try but don't want to be in a group full of teenagers who have been racing since 5 years old when I'm 24!

Racing is prob a great way of getting my skiing to the next level

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 11-01-09 1:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
narc,
Mix of ages, mainly kids but some adults, at 24 u'll be in the middle
Mix of abilities, some just starting out, some v good. If u can ski paralllel u'll get something out of it, if u can carve u'll soon find ur feet in the gates. Coaches r excellent.
U need to be a CFe member (£100 for 30% off), drop in cost £36, buy 3 sessions £90 - so £30each
Sundays r now 7:00am! 3hrs, but thats 2hrs b4 the public
Tue 6-8.
1st half of sessions drills, 2nd half gates.

Hope this helps u, give it a go!
latest report
Thanks for the info BG, I'll give it a try. I can carve ok when free skiing so adding gates will be a good challenge...
snow report
I've been wondering about trying this out too. Is it something you can just dip in and out of? I'd like to try it just to improve my free skiing and it seems like fun.
I don't want to get into racing or anything like that. I'm also 38. Anybody of that vintage taking part?
ski holidays
markP, yep u can dip in and out. Will defo improve ur free-skiing, drills r great for this....lots of one legged skiing wink
There's a couple of oldies, I think the oldest member is in his 50's, so no excuses there Toofy Grin
snow conditions
If there is enough interest it would be possible to run a race camp for older people in Les Arcs this winter. There are great race coaches and they all speak English. Les Arcs is the base for the 'Ski Etudes', the up and coming future young racers from this region of France. They have 6 past students who still train here in the World Champs this year, so coaching is of a very high standard. For those with younger racers. There may well be a race camp from the 28th March or there abouts before the Brits.
snow report
markP & narc, I'm 30. I've not taken part as of yet but I did see them using the gates on a tuesday evening and it looked like great fun! I'll make a move to join on a sunday asap. Hopefully n.week. Have either of you 'oldies' Smile had a go yet? I've noticed the grom camp (Pat Sharpe et al) also and that seems full of 8-12 yr olds - no way I am doing that! Although those kickers looked tempting!

Neil.
ski holidays
I know everyone seems to be round the manchester area but does anybody know much about the North East, I think Raven Ski Club at sunderland is the only one and i think ( guess ) that it's more for youths than old 39 yearold fat blokes that want to improve during the 51 weeks between trips Sad

Castleford is a good 2 hr drive south for me and if i took my 2 kids ( 8 & 10 ) it becomes very expensive.

The girls both got there Bronze badges last week in ADH and that means next year the lessons will include a introduction to racing Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Curtains, AFAIK its Castleford or bust. Silksworth isnt worth the trip. Even for myself who isnt very good I get from top to bottom so quickly.

I know what you mean about Castleford - you can nearly get to Verbier in the same timescale.
snow report
nks, Who u calin an 'Oldie'...... Laughing I'm the "wrong" side of 30 as well.....speak 4 urself!! wink
ski holidays
Smokin Joe, Silksworth is longer than Pendle, and a certain David Ryding (current GB squad) learnt almost all his skiing and racing at Pendle. Length of slope isn't a major issue, quality of coaching is. Ravens always used to offer great quality coaching and produced some damn fine skiers over the years.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, I believe they still do.

Smokin Joe,
Quote:
I get from top to bottom so quickly.
I think the idea is to turn occasionally. wink
latest report
gsb, its not wide enough ! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hi, I'm sorry that I didn't create a new post but at the moment I'm on my iPhone and I can't find the new post button.

Can I just ask if anyone can PM me any dry slope event details which I could probably take part in? I live in the south and am trying to join the Aldershot
race team. I'm only 14 at the moment but I have completed the French ski school (ESF) up to level 4 and have been unable to do there race training as I normaly go in off season (two weeks before Christmas). I have been told I could compete it easily by my last instructor (maybe because I'm dyslexic hehe).

But any details would be much apreciated.
ski holidays
This time last year Aldershot was full, but there are also race clubs at Bracknell and Southampton. Details of races can be found on the SRSA or LSERSA websites, but the club will tell you if you are ready.
latest report
Ok, thanks for that info, possibly won't have to juggle skiing and rugby on a Sunday morning if I go to Bracknell. Also sorry to sound needy but does anyone know how the British and French ski advancment system works? I just thinkit would be good to know what level I am in the system.
ski holidays
nks wrote:
markP & narc, I'm 30. I've not taken part as of yet but I did see them using the gates on a tuesday evening and it looked like great fun! I'll make a move to join on a sunday asap. Hopefully n.week. Have either of you 'oldies' Smile had a go yet? I've noticed the grom camp (Pat Sharpe et al) also and that seems full of 8-12 yr olds - no way I am doing that! Although those kickers looked tempting!

Neil.

I probably won't do it until after my February trip now. I've got a bit too much going on at the moment.
I definitely want to try it though. See if I can get the average age up!
Does anybody know who to contact?
snow report
Ring (or better turn up at the slope) and ask for Dean - (race club head coach) or Gareth or Andy. Sessions are Tue 6-8, Sun 7-10 so before or after these is ur best time.
latest report
Ok. Thanks for that. I'll pop along and introduce myself a bit nearer the time then. Cheers.
snow conditions
markP, just so u know the club are on a camp during Feb 1/2 term.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy