Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Swiss Resort for a Mixed Group?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Can I draw on your experience to help me with the following? I'm arranging a trip for me and three friends:

1. Me - middle intermediate. Skied for 10 years but pretty lazy. Likes cruising.
2. My partner - second weeker. Can parallel turn but very nervous
3. Friend 1 - has skied once before, but has a dodgy knee and plans to take it easy
4. Friend 2 - very keen novice

The resort should have

Some tree - lined runs
Spectacular scenery (I foolishly raised the bar with a trip to Saas Fee)
Pretty village/town with lots to do for Friend 1
Not-terrible snow record as we're going on in mid-late March
Mid range price wise. I suppose we could splurge a bit but I'd like to avoid the fur crowd!
Acceptable public transport (inc. access from Zurich)
Maybe some cleared hiking paths?

We've settled on Switzerland as a country. Here are the front runners, with my concerns in brackets:

Adelboden (no concerns whatsoever - definately the front runner)
Lenk (snow at village level?)
Grindelwald (is it cutesy enough?)
Lauterbrunnen (is it a bit soulless for our friend with the knee?)
Bettmeralp - Aletsch
Grimentz (lack of decent public transport?)
Arosa (how attractive is the resort?)
Scuol
Savognin
Zermatt (I'm guessing this would be completely inappropriate - I just really want to go there!)

I'm mainly worried about steep pistes for the nervous skiers.

Your opinions on these would be gratefully received! Ditto for any other resort suggestions.

Many thanks

Liam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lrx28, have a look at the alphabetically indexed reports in the Resorts section. I haven't been to most of the places you mention but would agree that Zermatt would not be great for your companions. Would also suggest Wengen rather than Grindelwald, it's cutesier, more central for the whole ski area (you'll want to sample Murren as well as Grindelwald, I should think) and has no cars. I went to Arosa years ago, it was very attractive and rather geriatric: as a cruiser, I think you'd ski it out in a couple of days, though. I would definitely add Davos/Klosters to your list, lots and lots of cruisy (edit: including tree-lined) runs and it's a beautiful area. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-10-08 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Liam

I can't comment on the others - but I am sure that you are right that Zermatt (which I love for the scale of the skiing in wild scenery) is not the best option for this particular group in terms of skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bah! Nevermind - I'll drag them to Zermatt in a couple of years. Hurtle - I've actually considered Klosters, as it seems surprisingly reasonable value. I'm a bit worried that it'll be full of braying sloanes. How is it in reality?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lrx28,
Quote:

full of braying sloanes
yes, there are some, but nothing as loud or ill-behaved as I have witnessed elsewhere in Switzerland, including Verbier (seemed dire last time I was there) Zermatt and the Jungfrau region. There seemed to be more Swiss people around than anything else.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm... that's interesting... Thanks for the tip!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wengen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^^^ wot she said Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, I see you point (s) about Wengen. On investigation accommodation looks a bit pricey. Is it quite special? If so I could consider a splurge. I was considering Lauterbrunnen for money saving but it sounds a bit dull.

Thanks again all
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lauterbrunnen isn't big on the social scene, but there are a few nice budget hotels there, and one pub. Wengen has much more in the village, although it is more spread out. The train between the 2 takes 15 mins, so it is possible to stay in Lauterbrunnen and still spend the evening in Wengen, but don't miss the last train down!!

Wengen is more expensive, but also more convenient for the slopes. I've stayed (in the summer) in the Hirschen, which is one of the cheaper, but very pleasant hotels.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's fine - one pub is all I need! Does Lauterbrunnen have much atmosphere? I've always imagined it to be a bit of a dormitory town!

Thanks, Liam
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lrx28, I agree with Elizabeth B's last post. I've stayed at both Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, and if you can bear the extra 15mins travel time to Wengen from Lauterbrunnen then it's quite an acceptable (and cheaper) base. I'm sure Chris Brookes (our resident Murren Fan) would also point out that staying in Lauterbrunnen means it's also quicker to travel to Murren! Toofy Grin

I stayed at the Hotel Schutzen in Lauterbrunnen, and can recommend the friendly staff and excellent food served. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 3-10-08 16:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lrx28, the pub is pretty okay, stayed there lots (I used their superbudget hotel quite a bit, low-budget is my norm, and the 15 mins by train ain't that bad)

Otherwise the story of Lauterbrunnen is easy: some 5 nice places to eat (assuming Silberhorn-Lauterbrunnen is open to outside public, never tried, looks expensive Wink). 1 Pub. 1 Weekly evening go-carts on ice at the sportscentre.

Schutzen, Oberland and Jungfrau hotels are the places i visit fairly frequently for dinner, all are friendly, serve decent food and have decent prices (especially compared to Holland)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lrx28, If you stay in Lauterbrunnen make sure you are within easy walking distance of the station as it is a spread out village and you could be catching a bus to the station. I would agree with other posters that Wengen would be the place to stay, well worth the extra few pounds.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lrx28 wrote:
Hi all,

Can I draw on your experience to help me with the following? I'm arranging a trip for me and three friends:

1. Me - middle intermediate. Skied for 10 years but pretty lazy. Likes cruising.
2. My partner - second weeker. Can parallel turn but very nervous
3. Friend 1 - has skied once before, but has a dodgy knee and plans to take it easy
4. Friend 2 - very keen novice

The resort should have

Some tree - lined runs Murren wink

And wide slopes

and empty

Spectacular scenery (I foolishly raised the bar with a trip to Saas Fee) Murren wink

Pretty village/town with lots to do for Friend 1 Murren wink

Not-terrible snow record as we're going on in mid-late March Murren wink

NO cars !!

Mid range price wise. I suppose we could splurge a bit but I'd like to avoid the fur crowd!Jungfrau Hotel situated on the nursey Slopes wink

Acceptable public transport (inc. access from Zurich) Over 3 hours on a double decker train with only 3 changes to the reosrt
Maybe some cleared hiking paths? loads of walking and hiking paths!!

Murren !! http://www.muerren.ch

We've settled on Switzerland as a country. Here are the front runners, with my concerns in brackets:
Your opinions on these would be gratefully received! Ditto for any other resort suggestions.

Many thanks

Liam

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 4-10-08 8:44; edited 4 times in total
latest report
But as a second option....i agree Lauterbrunnen is a good all rounder for access plus from Murren you can ski back down (snow permitting) instead of training it back down from Wengen

found a picture of Wengen taken in March 05 from Winteregg Murren -

click on 'my movie gallery' and see Lauterbrunnen from the cablecar
snow report
lrx28, In what sense do you mean Grimentz has a lack of decent public transport?

The place the valley will fall down..and I use the word valley as there are 2 other resorts worth going to in Zinal and St Luc/Chandolin..is if someone was to take the day off skiing. There isn't much to do unless you want to go winter walking....and if you are going to do that, I'd have thought you might ski. But anyway, the valley is very attractive and the tougher skiing tends to be down to resort which you could download to anyway. Fast and cruisey pistes and easy to meet up.

The skiing is a good as you can make it...but you can easily potter around all 3 resorts if you want and not crowded..yet. The valey is seperated by a huge gorge but buses are frequent and reliable. We always have a car but I have used the post bus many a time. The big effort is getting up from the rhone valley and once you have done that then all is ok. Zinal is our choice to stay but it is smaller and quieter which suits me fine.

But if you can't be bothered with sitting on a post bus going home for 20 mins then you will not be able to sample St Luc or Zinal which would be a crime.

My favourite place at the moment until they build more lifts and get the crowds in.....

If you are looking for apre, then there are more suitable places.

There is supposed to be a new tunnel connection to the Rhone so the Oberland and Zurich should be in range, however Geneva is 2 hrs away by car or 3 by train and bus. Train to Sierre and post bus up the hill.
snow report
lrx28, If I were rating Adelboden - Lenk as the highest probability then I would also look at Saanenmoser - Gstaad as it's prettier / more spectacular than Adelboden-Lenk ( but only just around the corner!) and offers Friend 1 a lot more than e.g. the Jungfrau imo.

However mid-late March might be a problem for all 4 of the above towns if snow coverage was melting ( not last year but who knows) and then Id go higher .. so Zermatt for me.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes,

There you go with those pics again.... wink Laughing
latest report
lrx28, if you want Dramatic Scenery, Wengen or Murren will do very nicely, snow records for both are quite good for March over the last decade or more, Grindelwald is colder than either. something to do with it being in the bowl of the mountains, it's also not as nice to stay in due to all the extra traffic, on a tight budget Lauterbrunnen would be ok so long as you don't mind the extra 15 mins journey time in the morning and teh fact that in March it is unlikely that you will be able to ski back to the village (Only from Murren side anyway). Wenegn has more tree lined routes and there are plenty of winter walking routes in the area as well, also the area is one of teh few where pretty much all of the restaurants can be reached by a short walk from public transport so different standards of skier/boarders and even walkers can all meet at one restaurant for lunch if you want to do so.

Zermatt is a fabulous location but you might want to wait till the rest of the party are more experienced before going there, it's not cheap either wink
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Chris Brookes,

There you go with those pics again.... wink Laughing

I just can't help it Laughing
snow report
Lovely pics especially the top one Smile We learned in Grindelwald and went over to Murren for the day, I liked it a lot.
snow report
firebug wrote:
Lovely pics especially the top one Smile We learned in Grindelwald and went over to Murren for the day, I liked it a lot.

you should come back then ..they will be installing new lift next season !!
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Those illustrated pictures just sell the place to me. Somewhere to go in the future.
snow report
The scenery is amazing in the winter and the summer !!

I promise not to post any more pics on THIS thread Laughing Laughing
snow report
lrx28, Klosters not on your list? Seems to fit your criteria... possibly too may of the 'fur crowd'
snow report
Thanks again all for your help! The Murren pics are really tempting... I've always wanted to go there. but I'm concerned for the beginner in our group (hence Lauterbrunnen for access to Wengen).

JT - my Grimentz concern stems from what seems to be a lack of access to Vercorin (in case of bad weather) by postbus. I'm looking at www.sbb.ch. Is there a separate navette system of some sort? I don't mind postbuses, but I'd like to avoid changing more than once. How easy are the blues in Grimentz?

Cheers, Liam
ski holidays
 brian
brian
lrx28, you're right, you can only connect by bus to Vercorin (without going all the way down to Sierre) on Friday. The navettes don't run between the villages, so post bus only.

They are very reliable, but fairly infrequent ... and it's a long way from Zurich.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lrx28, We drove to Vercorin from Zinal and went down to Vissoie and up again. We did this looking for petrol and found that Vercorin had a gas station anyway... so that was not the way to go., for sure, and no fun. We drove back via Grimentz and that was far easier. I have looked up my post bus timestable from last year and I can't find a service from Verorin to Grimentz but I can't believe there isn't one...... Puzzled .

I think Grimentz to St Luc will take under and hour but you will have to change at Vissoie, but we are talking about the post-bus on both occasions and not the ski-bus, We operated out of Zinal all the time and with a car so it is difficult to say.

The skiing in Grimentz is fast and cruisey and I wouldn't think any of the blues are difficult. The only stage/run that might be would be the run down to the village but you can take the gondola. The black get icy at that time.
Zinal is a huge bowl and again can be fast and fun, but the black to the village is even worse..or better, you decide..as it has nets across it to stop falls. It is pretty steep, but again, just get the CC down and that is out of the equation.

St Luc is a cruisers dream and it appears a theme of the valley, if you want to spice any of this up, there are plenty of options.

For your party the skiing will be fine, but the valley really needs a car, IMV although the bus between Grimentz and Zinal is good and takes about 20 minutes so if you spend most of your time there, you can get by with the bus.
I wouldn't bother with Vercorin myself unless everywhere else is clouded in...and having been there the once, that will do me. St Luc is defo worth going to, but depends on how much you'll bulk at the travelling.

Apre ski is very self contained and limited but we hire a chalet and cook in most of the time.

3 walks I could think of are the walk up the the Weisshorn for lunch but you can't ski to it AFAIK, but worth the effort, I am told. The walk up to the Moiry Dam - take a picinic...and you can walk up from Zinal to the end of the valley. One is our party did this, and there may be plenty more but we went skiing instead.

If you driving from Zurich, the drive through the valley beyond Andermatt is spectaular and even the train hop through the Furka pass is good. We did it on a fine driving day, might not be fun on a bad day though.
Geneva is easiest by train or car and will take 2 hrs and a bit with the car and about 2.40 by train/post bus.

Both Val D Annivers and Jungfrau sound very good choices to me.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT wrote:
I have looked up my post bus timestable from last year and I can't find a service from Verorin

There isn't one (except on Friday).

Quote:

3 walks I could think of are the walk up the the Weisshorn for lunch but you can't ski to it AFAIK, but worth the effort, I am told. The walk up to the Moiry Dam

I assume you mean the hotel rather than the mountain (which, being 4th highest in the alps, is a bit more than a lunchtime stroll Laughing ). Walking up to the dam is also a fairly serious proposition, a good 4 or 5 miles and 600m of ascent. It might not seem much to ski down but ...
snow report
Thanks JT. Val D'Annivers still appeals, even though we don't have a car. It sounds pleasantly authentic and I'm keen to avoid souless megaresorts or tourist traps! For me the dealbreaker could be the availability of tree lined skiing in St Luc, which may well be where we end up staying. The piste map seems a little inconclusive!

Liam
snow conditions
where's my post gone..???

oh, well. Brian's pointers are right.... sorry can't write what I was going to write all over..

Vercorin is almost all trees and St Luc has a few tree-lined runs but mostly the valley is above the tree-line which you might be grateful off in late Mar
snow report
Something funny has been going on with this site today (or was it just me?).

Thanks again for the pointers all.

JT - just on the offchance - do you know anything about Arolla/Evolene? I think they're close by.

Liam
snow conditions
lrx28, Big plans to get over there last year..but we had such good local conditions we never made it...amongst other trips...Laughing

some friends went back there later and said it was ALL about touring..??? I'd love to take a look for myself.

Arolla ...?? close by but maybe not with public transport. I have a trip to make to Verbier and I reckon it will take me 2 hours to get into their lift system from Zinal

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-10-08 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
There seems to be an OK post bus service (similar in efficiency to Val D'Annivers) connecting Arolla and Evolene. These resorts have interested me for a while, but no-one ever mentions them!
snow report
JT wrote:
The walk up to the Moiry Dam - take a picinic...and you can walk up from Zinal to the end of the valley.

I don't think that's a good idea (Moiry), it's a very dangerous route and prone to avalanche all through the season, there's no winter walking or snow shoe route up there and the route is barred for that reason. You can walk out of Zinal but you'll not get to the end of the valley which is the col Durand and the route crosses three glaciers, a super ski but it does take a day or so to make the ascent. You can get to the Cab. Petit Mountet which is open from Feb' serving meals.

Anyone wanting to walk in the winter would probably be better on snow shoes and there's a number of routes in the valley, a nice high route around Zinal village and one from Mottec to Grimentz in particular. Snow Shoes are better for getting to the Cab. Petit Mountet as well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy