Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemarking or snowboarding as a second discipline?

Poster: A snowHead
Let's assume I wanted to spend some time with mrs horizon on the blue runs, while still challenging myself. I can of course do things like skiing backwards / eyes closed / working on technique, or I could try something different so she can have a laugh at me and feel better about her capabilities (and I expand my, er, horizons).

Given the scenario, it would have to be learn-by-myself, not with an instructor.

Should I take up snowboarding or telemarking?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in a similar position myself - got insane-bored skiing with slowcoach Mrs perv. Get some snowboarding lessons at an indoor snowslope to get the basics, then you can cruise the piste together. Not a good idea to self-teach from scratch.

Bear in mind it won't work forever - I leave her behind even on a board nowadays. I am far too cool to telemark so don't even go there! Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want to give her a real laugh for a couple of days while you cream yourself - snowboarding, after that you'll be above her level and want to off again.

If you want to feel like bambi on ice for a while - tele, you probably already know the principles so it'll be easier to self teach although I recommend Allen&Mike's really cool telemark tips for some good visual images.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a similar situation - went to Telemarking - 3 days and we were back to the same situation - waiting for Mrs Fred !! Snowboarding took a little longer - 2 weeks and I was faster.

That's not the main point though - even though I have to go slowly for Mrs Fred having the variety of 3 disciplines is great for keeping things fresh. Speed is not all of it there is often some good little jumps at the sides of blue runs and little cut off's etc. Skiing backwards on Telemark skis took a while and at my age any acobatics on the snowboard normally give some one some entertainment.

So Horizon give both a try - its not too hard to move quickly on piste whichever you choose. What I would say though depending on your age - snowboarding will probably give Mrs H more entertainment than Telemarking. I am sure there will be plenty folk here that will disagree but this is my personal opinion.

Whichever you chose the main thing is that you have fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon, how about getting Mrs H some intensive ski lessons/course ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boardin I would say - completely different feeling to skiing

HAve done both - prefer skiing cos am better at it (not great but ok) -
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Skiing backwards on Telemark skis took a while

Shocked Toofy Grin Cool Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telemark!!

certainly slows me down.......

great fun, good feeling, less risk of injury than any other snow sport (unlike learning to snowboard- why not just go and break both wrists/ thumbs/ ankles now), similar equipment, very friendly (anyone else who teles will talk to you...anyone who has ever teled will talk to you- and be friendly) no new problems with lifts, no sitting around like a knob in th emiddle of the piste, no scraping down on heels....can carve turns, not many people do it...garceful...great feeling, makes you stop because it is so knackering, probably not as afast a learning curve as boarding, can still revert to alpine turns if you need to.....

tele!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boarding can be painful to learn but worth it.

I was in a slightly different situation, a couple of seasons ago i kept breaking skis and the shop that had lent me the skis for the whole season started to get annoyed and stopped giving me them, so i borrowed a board from a mate and learnt in about 1 week now can hit anything the mountain has to offer.

It's a nice thing to do both.

Never tried telemark so perhaps if i brake some skis this season i will try that Blush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had this dilemma so I decided to get snowboard lessons at Castleford. Problem is, I've had 6 hours of lessons now and I'm better at snowboarding than Mrs olster is at skiing. Back to the drawing board!

You could try monoskiing if you can still find one. One particularly sadistic ESF instructor decided to give us two days of monoski lessons back in the 80s. I still couldn't turn properly by the end of it. Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
olster, hey, I said I wanted the mrs to have a laugh at me, not the whole resort! Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Telemark.

Snowboard and skis tend to prefer different kind of terrain. Telemark is more compatible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

telemark!!

certainly slows me down.......

great fun, good feeling, less risk of injury than any other snow sport (unlike learning to snowboard- why not just go and break both wrists/ thumbs/ ankles now), similar equipment, very friendly (anyone else who teles will talk to you...anyone who has ever teled will talk to you- and be friendly) no new problems with lifts, no sitting around like a knob in th emiddle of the piste, no scraping down on heels....can carve turns, not many people do it...garceful...great feeling, makes you stop because it is so knackering, probably not as afast a learning curve as boarding, can still revert to alpine turns if you need to.....

tele!

That says it all really. I wouldn't go back now.

I tried boarding first and quite liked it but quickly got fed up with the lack of versatility then broke my arm Sad .

Monoskiing is great fun and hugely underated.

Is it me or has snowboarding now plateaued out and possibly even started to decline ? Its noticeable how few snowboarders there seem to be in the alps these days Puzzled Presumeably that is because of the emergence of fatter skis ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I'm more tempted by telemarking because it's an allied discipline and I think more people are getting interested in it these days. This is from the perspective of doing a second discipline for BASI though so perhaps slightly different reasons than yours horizon.

I'd like to try boarding at some point though and will probably make up my mind once I've had a go - the broken wrist and bruised bum thing doesn't make me overly look forward to it though! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go for telemarking, but you'd have to do teleturn only.

I ski on telekit with friends who are normal skiers. If I'm doing mainly tele turns I'm a fair bit slower than them (probably because I'm crap Toofy Grin ), but if I do parallel turns I can ski at speed as if I was on fixed heel kit and keep up easily.

I find tele skiing more fun though, so I'd say go for tele.
snow report
roga, I'm not sure that broken wrists and a bruised bum are inevitable when learning to board. I haven't actually fallen over yet and it took me about 30 minutes to be able to balance well enough to not have to sit down every time I stopped. I have only done it at Castleford so far though so if I tried it on a red run it would probably be a different story. Smile
snow report
[quote="Peter S"]
Quote:

Is it me or has snowboarding now plateaued out and possibly even started to decline ? Its noticeable how few snowboarders there seem to be in the alps these days Puzzled Presumeably that is because of the emergence of fatter skis ?

I think there is a trend toward multifunctioning or perhaps now that snowboarding has become the domain of middle aged bankers & lawyers its not necessarily the cool thing for kids to aspire to so there is a fair chance they will be coming in as skiers (not least because they can huck themselves harder and faster on skis).

Personally haven't snowboarded in the alps in a few years as the snow is rarely reliably deep enough to give it the decision over skis & the traversing issues you get with more interesting terrain mitigate against it.
ski holidays
olster wrote:
roga, I'm not sure that broken wrists and a bruised bum are inevitable when learning to board. I haven't actually fallen over yet and it took me about 30 minutes to be able to balance well enough to not have to sit down every time I stopped. I have only done it at Castleford so far though so if I tried it on a red run it would probably be a different story. Smile

Very true, probably me being a bit overly cautious 'coz I don't want to injure myself doing something other than skiing and then spoil my ski season - crazy really lol! I think the wrist thing is more of a danger on a dry slope or at Tamworth where the 'snow' is often rock hard, I'd guess on softer stuff it'd be a bit safer.

I may also be a bit put off by the idea of being a beginner again too! Embarassed Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy