Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski season - work or ski bum?

Poster: A snowHead
So, related to an earlier post, I am thinking of doing a 4 month season in NZ.
What are people's opionions on whether to work or not? I could credit card it up and pay later when I get back to work in the UK - hopefully wouldn't be too bad as I can get decent contract work in my sector.
Alternative is to work while I'm out there, not necessarily for the money but for the lifestyle?

I imagie staying in backpacker places would be the most social but I'd like to get a decent amount of skiing sone and that rules out most jobs apart from bar jobs or chalet type help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you could get 4 nights a week bar work would that not be ideal? You get the social side of the working, minimal credit card impact and still have the days free to ski...

Or at least if you start off with a job you can later decide you don't like it and pack it in!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

If you could get 4 nights a week bar work

That would be ironic, a Londoner working in a bar in NZ, sort of job swap thing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, the other advantage of working is that you will meet lots of new people to ski with. And with reference to your other thread I think this is the best way to push yourself...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always work! It's a great way to meet people, it keeps the pocket-money coming in, plus working in a bar will get you cheap cheap cheap drinks in other bars. Furthermore, bar-work's one of life's fun jobs. You'll be in the bar 4 nights a week anyway, so why not get paid for the privilege!

Ski bums are the bottom of the food chain. Get a job!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ice_pie, Apart from ski bums who work their ar5es of in the summer to save money so they can just ski and don't need to work. They go straight to the top of the food chain. NehNeh Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, agree with m' learned colleagues - a bit of a job will give you lots of pluses and may also mean it's a bit easier to settle back in to real life Very Happy at the end of your sabbatical
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how you fund it is a credit question and I think we have another thread on this, but if you have the funds I say don't work. the only positive of working is meeting people, which you can do in other ways.

the downsides are that it gets in the way of skiing and removes flexibility - eg say you want to do a road trip to a few other ski fields in NZ, it suddenly gets a lot more difficult if you have to fit it around work. when i did my season one of the many things i really enjoyed were the weeks away in other parts of the Alps

ski bums bottom of the food chain? maybe on the apres side of things, but they are the ones getting first tracks while the workers are clearing up their guests breakfasts
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:

ski bums bottom of the food chain? maybe on the apres side of things, but they are the ones getting first tracks while the workers are clearing up their guests breakfasts

Ahhh, but he's talking bar-work, so he'll be up there getting fresh tracks with the best of them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree that getting some kind of work has to be the best way to meet people.

I'm in my late forties (male) and looking to do the coming season in the Alps. Alas I don't have much bar-tending experience and probably wouldn't draw in the younger punters:(.

Does anyone have other suggestions for more suitable jobs?

I fancy myself as a ski host for the more mature and discerning clients. You know the sort of thing, a raconteur for those slow chairs and long lunches. I'm thinking of approaching ScottDunn and SkiBeat directly (I live in Chichester) but would be grateful for any other suggestions. A couple of days a week driving to and from the airport would suit too.

Any offers?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
People are always after more 'mature' people for driving. I'll PM you. If you don't get it, it's cos my comp's rubbish so let me know.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
warrell, Hmmmm, I can't seem to PM. I might have a lead for a bit of driving in the Portes du soliel. I can recieve private messages, but can't seem to send them. Drop me a line with an email address i can get you on, and i'll see what i can do.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks ice_pie, I have sent you a PM but it seems to be stuck in the OutBox. Could not see how to get it sent there and then. You can send an email addressed to anybody at warrell.co.uk

Thanks again

Warrell
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you can afford to not work then don't. More so in NZ too. There are not as many jobs that give you the same mountain time as in europe. Most jobs are just normal jobs that happen to be in a ski town. You have to travel for 30mins or more to each field from town so you can't just nip out for a few turns. As Arno said work gets in the way of traveling to other fields and the ski fields are quite small too so you'll want to visit a few. Just don't miss out on the club fields.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ice_pie, warrell, PMs stay in the Outbox until they are read by the recipient
snow report
my advice does assume that you want to ski as much as possible. if you want to spend time in a ski town doing a bit of skiing and a bit of partying etc working might be a good way forward
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, my advice is not to work if you can possibly help it. I've done a 4 month stint in NZ myself, and I can say without doubt that working will make it really tough. There's so much competition for jobs (well there was in Wanaka and TC), that most people end up either laying tile or putting up drywall on some building site in the freezing cold. The on mountain staff aren't treated very well, and nearly all the ones I knew ended up quitting before long.

If you've only got 4 months, I'd agree with Arno that you should max your skiing time.
snow report
I've never skied NZ, so probably best to ignore my advice onthis one! Completely different scene, by all acounts. But good luck!
latest report
GordonFreeman, I fall on the side of don't work. Why go all that way to do some bum job, maximise the skiing. I did 2 months in NZ skiing some years ago. Had no problem meeting up with people, stayed in hostels most the time. Also I enjoyed moving around betwene the resorts, a job will not doubt tie you to one location. Either way, have fun.
latest report
Arno wrote:
the only positive of working is meeting people, which you can do in other ways.

Arno <3s meeting people from the internet. Just ask me.
ski holidays
ice_pie, any joy on the driving contacts?

Cheers

W
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy