Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First blast of 'winter' to UK mountains

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like the Cairngorms are going to get their first snowfall this afternoon and then possibly some snow showers over the Lake district by tomorrow.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/forecast.php?area=3

Lets see if we can get some webcam shots up here in the next 24hrs.

We always used to reckon on the first dusting in the Lakes by the second weekend of October, so things could be slightly early this year !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been watching the cairngorm webcams this morning and as of 2:30pm, the last time I looked, no sign of snow. Should have been cold enough though as the new CML AWS at the tunnel was reading +0.9C but giving a dew point of -3.2C so any precipitation should have been falling as snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
*excited* snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave, the summit station was giving -0.3 at 15:00 so it must at least be sleety rain at the ptarmigan Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had heavy hail showers in the mountains today, temps plus 7c in Llanberis this morning but now hevering around plus 9c. Winter is slowly knocking on the door.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As of 5:30pm the ptamigan cam is not showing any sign of snow, though it looks to be raining and the camera is in cloud so the vis is poor. The vewing terrace cams picture is from 3pm and it is also not showing any snow. Lets hope they turn white overnight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From http://www.winterhighland.info/general/ Very Happy

"October is set to make quite an entrance on Wednesday with the first real taste of winter for the mountains on its way as a cold plunge dives Southwards over the next couple of days.

Snow will initially fall only on the highest summits, but the the snow level will drop as the freezing level lowers to around 3000ft on Thursday and possibly 2500ft on Friday. Thus snow looks set to settle and drift on the higher slopes over the next few days in a strong to gale force North wind; which will give a bitter wind-chill.

Showers could be heavy at times on Wed and Thurs, possibly merging together for some longer spells of snow on the higher ground. Thunder is also quite possible. Indeed some of the model data is suggesting some Western tops could see a few inches of snow late tomorrow into Thursday...."

I skied full winter cover at the Lecht late one October about 15 years ago - fingers crossed for this year eh?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm looking at Banana Gully on Y Garn this year... kicked steps up the booger too many times to miss taking the easy way down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bloody cold here tonight. Currently 6 degrees. Heating on for first time since March
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, Tart!!! I'm still sticking with a fleece jumper. Have scrounged 2 tons of oak, birch and sycamore logs to put aside till next year, all I have to do is get a wood burning stove installed next summer and I'll be supplimenting my central heating for free Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Down to 6 in Northants - unless I win the lottery tonight heating ain't going on.................ever
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, Boris,

Just put it on for an hour this evening and have set programme for an hour in morning. Wood burner is a great job
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do have a duvet jacket that would keep me warm down to approx -15. Although I don't fancy scraping ice off the windows in the morning as I did as a kid leaving the warm and balmy North Island of NZ and going to live on a hill farm in Wales. Still remember playing in the snow (never seen the stuff bvfore) in bare feet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy, I can't wait till I get mine sorted. Have Swedish mates and they have lovely burners... *basks in warm cracking glow*
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa,

Normal routine is to have the wood burner on all evening. Before going to bed, I fill it with logs, then turn the air inlet down as low as it will go. At 8.00 am, the room is still lovely and warm, and the burner is still going.
snow report
johnboy, That sounds good... I have free wood but don't want to replace my gas central heating set-up as it is brand new and has a very efficient boiler. My stove will be for supplimentary heating during the evenings. There are some very attractive stoves on the market so I'll look for a 5kw model.
snow report
1st snow Very Happy
snow report
II,

Excellent
latest report
II, this is fine news - for my part, I put a coat on for the first time this morning. It must be on its way Smile
snow report
II, great news
ski holidays
We are all now wearing coats to go out in the morning (NW Coast - chilly!) but I saw a woman walking with a toddler today - mother was wearing a strappy vest top (and some tattoos) and the child had sandals and a summer dress. What's wrong with people? We don't even live in Newcastle! wink No offence to Geordies - you see the same in Liverpool on a Friday night!
latest report
Coldish and wet in Newcastle. No one wearing a coat though, but they never do
snow conditions
Another wet and wild night. Currently 5 degrees. Low last night of 4C
snow conditions
II, Is that the view from your front room Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Looking at the cairngorm webcams there is more snow this morning, plus the freezing level is down below midsation. The winterhighland cameras are showing patchy snow at the SSC hut and the snow gun is amber.

http://www.winterhighland.info/testcam/
ski holidays
Pics being posted up at winterhighland snowHead

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=4061 on winterhgland
snow report
Wicked news, webcams looking marvellous this morning - I love the first snows of the winter and here we are! snowHead

Lovely!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy