Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Day Trips from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
A small group of friends who are very mixed ability skiers are staying in Geneva for the New Year.
We are going to pretend to be locals and hope to go skiing for a couple of days.

Any tips/ideas?
Ideas so far are teh Aravis Valley (la Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Contamines, Grand Massif, Chamonix, Portes Du Soleil................loads of day trip ideas and all within an hour(ish)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't bother with anywhere big on New Years day, you'll spend hours queuing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, ??? not anywhere in my experience, Chamonix too hungover for example. Luch reservations can be darn tricky though...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
might i suggest waiting until nearer the time to see how the snow is. I would agree with David though. As alternatives Sommand could be a good bet or even Gex. If you get up early queues will be ok.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got to say I agree with David Murdoch, New Years day is some of the emptiest days on teh slopes imo.....get up early, ski and book somewhere nice for a late lunch!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmm. Only time I ever queue in Verbier is after 10 on New Years day and half term.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, yeah, well, Verbier. Says it all really.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marcellus wrote:
Got to say I agree with David Murdoch, New Years day is some of the emptiest days on teh slopes imo.....get up early, ski and book somewhere nice for a late lunch!!

Flights booked - nice idea about lunch
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marcellus wrote:
Les Contamines, Grand Massif, Chamonix, Portes Du Soleil................loads of day trip ideas and all within an hour(ish)

Surely you want to avoid all the places us brits would have heard of and go to some smaller place you'd never bother with for a week. Somewhere like Thollon-les-Mémise, or Bernex Dent d'Oche for example (find them on J2ski.com)

But yes follow the snow! Enjoy, sounds like a fun few days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and how many Brits have heard of Les Contamines???

One of the quietest days last season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Only a fortnight to go.....

does anyone know what the conditions are like in La Clusaz? The webcam is looking a little dark at the moment, but I imagine it is not bad, given there was snow on the ground at Geneva on Sat
the Les Gets/Avoriaz thread suggest there is masses of snow there....

debating hiring skis in Geneva - any suggestions
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RandomSkier, I think there is masses of snow in all of the places mentioned. Yep the trick on New Year's Day is to get up very early and enjoy, it's bliss (but hopefully not too many people going to do this in Les Gets Little Angel )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou wrote:
RandomSkier, I think there is masses of snow in all of the places mentioned. Yep the trick on New Year's Day is to get up very early and enjoy, it's bliss (but hopefully not too many people going to do this in Les Gets Little Angel )

Thanks Lou, the getting the bus plan is looking tricky at the moment, may be reduced to hiring a car...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RandomSkier, that would give you much more flexibility when you want to get out there early Very Happy
ski holidays
Never driven abroad, might be about to start.... currently digging around for information NehNeh

do I need an overseas driving licence????
insurance????
aggghhh
latest report
RandomSkier, if you've a British licence you don't need anything else to drive in Switzerland or France - but make sure you take it, and take both parts if you've a new photocard licence. If you're hiring a car, it'll be insured but you'll have the option of extra payment to reduce the excess if you damage the car. For a day trip, hiring a car is going to give you loads more options, and probably more time on the slopes, than buses. If you hire in Switzerland you should get winter tyres, which will reduce the likelihood of having to use chains, should it be snowy (though you should always have them, just in case).

You'll be fine - just remember the look the other way on roundabouts. wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
RandomSkier- just remember the look the other way on roundabouts. wink

Shocked
snow conditions
ie, the other way from what you're used to - because you're giving way to the traffic coming from your left. Actually, I found the hardest thing to get used to was changing gear with my left hand.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
ie, the other way from what you're used to - because you're giving way to the traffic coming from your left. Actually, I found the hardest thing to get used to was changing gear with my left hand.
Me too Blush Make sure you don't have a hangover Laughing
ski holidays
Given the state of the pound versus euro - off to investigate swiss resorts too
snow conditions
bertie bassett,
Thanks for the tip - looks interesting
snow conditions
RandomSkier, Praz-de-Lys might be a bet; slightly dated uplift but mostly cross country skiers...stonking black run visible from Chery Nord as well. Or, given the snow, any of the Jura resorts.
snow conditions
on the new years topic - i think i will be heading back to mammoth - but here is a list of the festivities being held at a mountain near you can be found at: http://www.mountainyahoos.com/NewYearsSkiResorts.html they have everything listed! good luck finding the perfect destination and happy holidays Smile
latest report
Quote:

Given the state of the pound versus euro - off to investigate swiss resorts too

Sterling has (relatively) held up against the CH Franc. Hovering around the 1.70 mark (down from 2+) but much less of a fall than vs the euro. Hence, we're off to CH for 3 days ski on Boxing Day.

Here's an excellent site for Swiss resorts & maps - simply click on the area you want to visit. Geneva is at the left end of the big lake (ie Lake Geneva.... Toofy Grin ) The link starts off as snow reports but has links to piste maps as well:

http://snow.myswitzerland.com/requests/MySwitzerlandWinterSearchRequest.jsp?lang=fr&regionId=011&ski=true&banner=false

There are loads of "unheard of" resorts - all with great snow at the moment.
ski holidays
PS
Quote:

If you hire in Switzerland you should get winter tyres, which will reduce the likelihood of having to use chains, should it be snowy (though you should always have them, just in case).

NB 1: If you drive into France in a Swiss hire car you will not have a fluorescent jacket - now compulsory for all French motorways and required by all occupants of the car. My local £ shop has just got them in - though I'd already bought a couple for 2 or 3 quid apiece at Wickes. Geneva cars usually have snow tyres as a matter of course ('cos it gives them a chance to charge you extra - not that I'm cynical...).

NB 2: 3 weeks ago we struggled to find hire car availability for Boxing Day/New year (2 of the party are staying on after we come home... Sad ) - so I'd suggest you check that pretty sharpish...
snow conditions
Quick report back:
It was fab.
Went to Les Gets, La Clusaz and Megeve for a day each.
Les Gets and La Clusaz were getting bumpy, but Megeve was "groomed" (it was where the beautiful people where - not seen so many fur coats for ages)
Had coffee outside everyday in the blazing sun, the snow was fab and I didn't want to come home.
The car hire went Ok, the swiss resident sorted that bit out...
Plotting another trip.
snow report
RandomSkier, glad it went well. Weather and snow were great, weren't they? You're right about the fur coats in Megeve. Laughing But there are loads more in Cortina.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was when the ladies going out to lunch up the mountain, didn't want to travel in a gondola because it didn't have perch seats, that I started noticing them.
snow report
RandomSkier,

that can be the best thing about Megeve..the village can be full but the fur coats don't ski....
snow conditions
RandomSkier,
Quote:

but Megeve was "groomed" (it was where the beautiful people where - not seen so many fur coats for ages)

surely you saw at least one beautiful lady in Les Gets?? Possibly proudly wearing a newish black schoffel jacket minus fur? wink

Pleased you had a good time Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy