Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how much will season improve skills?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
JT wrote:
davidof,

I liked the Stenmark video, less fussed about the Killy one but might be quite a few years between them so understandable, IMV.

Obviously killy's style is a bit ragged in places, but he is skiing in leather, ankle high boots, probably with the first safety bindings. What is interesting is that he doesn't ski with his legs locked together but has a stance that, given the 2m20 skis, probably isn't so different from Tomba 30 years later. People who ski "killy style" have almost certainly missed something.

Off piste, most days in Y'rupe, you have to be adaptive. While there are some ground rules to get you going like more even weighting don't get hung up on any particular tip. If you have good or better piste technique you just need to ski off piste a lot - the only place where you will want to do further lessons is when the slopes start to go over 40 degrees (saute pedale etc).

People who have trouble off piste are probably not skiing correctly on piste and need to work on their piste technique. Remember that off piste we fall back on some of our old skills like snowplow, stem christina, side slipping etc in some conditions. All skills anyone who skis on piste should be more than comfortable with.

Good mogul skiers are generally good off piste, I think that is because moguls are one of the few places on piste that don't pardon faults.

[Edit]: I should just add that I've done a season in resort where I could ski 9-5 every day but I didn't have any specific goals or do any lessons to improve my technique. I was a better skier at the end of the year but had really only moved along the intermediate plateau. So I can see that the advice given by people above is very pertinent.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-10-08 13:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

off piste we fall back on some of our old skills like snowplow, stem christina, side slipping etc in some conditions. All skills anyone who skis on piste should be more than comfortable with.

I don't know about that... I see a lot of piste-burners who slip way down the league once they encounter something different. I made that point earlier..seen it loads of times, so much so that it hardly registers now and I don't take a good ski style on-piste as any meaniful indication of what they can do off. And they may have come from a background where those skills were not taught. I don't get it either,

40 degrees is a bit different, but then a lot of carvers can't jump either..and once you have been there, you'll want to bag that one pretty quickly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT wrote:
I don't take a good ski style on-piste as any meaniful indication of what they can do off.

You may be right, but I wonder if they just look good and fast on piste without actually skiing very well. People I know who have the correct technique - I'm thinking about better piste skiers than me - usually don't have too much trouble in powder, crust.

But maybe I'm wrong thinking that?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you need to put the time into both environments.... in very good snow, any turn will do...in difficult snow, you need to be reactive to all sorts...

but I kind of like this challenge...makes us keep trying hard to crack it..but I do think you need to get in there...if people avoid bad snow, then that might make them less of a rounded skier
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Remember that off piste we fall back on some of our old skills like snowplow, stem christina, side slipping etc in some conditions. .

Not for too long I hope.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT wrote:
...if people avoid bad snow, then that might make them less of a rounded skier

That probably applies to me. Embarassed

Years of skiing decent snow in North America has spoilt me - and I find the transitions that you can get in odd-piste skiing in Europe a bit of a challenge.

Certainly there seem to be lots of piste skiers who don't seem remotely interested in learning off-piste techniques.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, and me probably, but I have never avoided it...even to the point when I probably should have.

It does give me the confidence to know I can cope. The next problem is getting fitness to a level that doesn't destroy your skiing. That is more a concern rather than the skiing itself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The better your technique the less tiring it is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
The better your technique the less tiring it is.

....and so the harder you ski, and the more tired you become, and the less skiing you do each day!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ice_pie, yup. And the slowest person is usually working hardest and the others generally go on again when that person catches up - so he/she gets the least rest.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy