Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schools Bursary from the Ski Club

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps because the Ski Club site is not exactly structured brilliantly, and things tend to get hidden, people have not - apparently - been rushing to take advantage of this offer.

Anybody in contact with schools who might want to take advantage of this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds very good - but an odd procedure! The six winners will be picked at random from all those who have entered - and then they will be asked to submit a report detailing how they intend to use their bursary Confused Confused Sounds back to front to me. So there's no assessment of the merits of any of the entrants? How bizarre.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I shall let a headmaster (sorry, head teacher) I know about this.

cathy, where does it say selection is random?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, here: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/questionnaires/questionnaire.asp?intQuestionnaireID=12&strQuestionnaire=Thomas+Lang+School%27s+Bursary

It's an easy way to give out money, not the proper way. With my grants hat on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, thanks. I agree with you (though I don't have a grants hat!) but will still let my headmaster mate know about it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, I might be naive but I really don't think the SCGB has the number of staff that would be required to check all the schools and pupils to decide who was the most sutable candidate. It might also be that Thomas Lang himself specified the method. Perhaps with your grants hat on you could write with your suggestion or even offer to do it better, in your opinion.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dypcdiver, well it really wouldn't involve too much time to ask applicants to submit a report with their application on how they're going to spend the money and then to assess those applications rather than a totally random lottery. Wouldn't it better for the money to go a school where opportunites are lacking rather than a well-funded school?

They state:

Quote:
There are a number of ways the Ski Club’s Thomas Lang Schools Bursary can help, from funding an assisted place for a deserving child on a school ski trip, to a class outing to a local UK artificial ski slope or even helping children to buy clothing and ski accessories if they need financial support.

but there's no assessment by the Ski Club of the proposals.

This is not a bash by me at the Ski Club - I just don't like the way they're doing it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, so who reads the applications and judges who is best suited, I doubt that the bursary could afford that persons wage for the time it would take. I agree it is not perfect, nor is the world we live in.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I disagree. If the Ski Club has agreed that the money very generously left by Thomas Lang should be spent on such a bursary scheme, then they have a duty to ensure that the funds are administered correctly and due processes are followed. And this will entail operational costs. Will there be no reporting on how the money was spent either at the end of each bursary?

As I said, I'm not 'having a go' at the Ski Club. I think its a great idea, just not being carried out correctly. This is purely my opinion.

It's not for me to say how the scheme should be administered - an admin person already employed by the Ski Club taking on some additional duties or a panel of volunteers drawn from the membership? The applications could be assessed remotely by the panel through a scoring system? The time involved by an employee would really really not be very much. I don't know what resources the Ski Club has available but I'm just saying, I don't like the way the scheme is currently being run.

I'm glad you agree it's not perfect.

Not being a member of the Ski Club though, of course its up to them how they run it Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy wrote:
....Not being a member of the Ski Club though, of course its up to them how they run it Toofy Grin

As from tomorrow, I will have to agree with you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

As from tomorrow, I will have to agree with you

achilles, are you missing the Club yet Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy