Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How ridiculous! (Winter Tyre discussion warning) Updated - reply from Churchill

Poster: A snowHead
landbeach, welcome snowHead and good find. (Used to go to a camping site in landbeach when I was little).

Boris, go for it. this is going to be interesting Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought it was the steel wheels, not the winter tyres they were bothered about. Still ridiculous but not contradictory to their advice about winter tyres.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
olster, it is indeed - but they didn't seem convinved that Winter Tyres added anything to safety
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bump
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would think the insurance policy just has a standard charge for running non standard wheels, and that the premium bump is based on the assumption that people going to the trouble of changing are fitting fancier wheels with all the associated theft risks.

In theory putting steel wheels on a car supplied with alloys changes the ratio of unsprung to sprung weight on the car, therefore handle less well over bumps, therefore is more dangerous. Seeing as you mess with this ratio everytime one or more passenger gets in or out of the car (not whilst moving obviously) then i can't see this being the reason for a premium hike
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bump!!!!

I bump this only as in looking for something else, there is a lot of useful info about Winter Tyres in general in here.

Someone with too much time on their hands should edit this down into a Sticky IMV
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've read in recent coverage that my insurance company swiftcover requires notification of the fitting of winter tyres. I'm between cars, ordered a new car a couple of weeks ago and it's been delayed - but when I get it, providing I can still find winter tyres for it, they will be getting fitted. I shall phone Swiftcover and ask the question, is this a notifiable change. If they say yes, I shall be telling them where they can go and cancelling the insurance forthwith.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I seem to remember an article by Continental suggesting that if you only have to have one set of tyres then it should be winters.The stopping distance between summer and winter tyres in warm conditions is not as great as you would think but in winter the winter tyres really have the advantage.Also the materials used in their construction now makes the difference in wear in the summer negligable.How you would stand with your insurance company if you had an accident in the summer with winter tyres on your car I do not know ,although I have a good idea............
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, SwiftCover are listed here as needing notification but do not charge extra
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Winter_Tyres__The_Motor_Insurance_Committment.aspx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
leedsunited,

Useful link snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
icyjock,
This was posted on here, originally by someone called the fatcontroller ?.

Not to me but genuine letter from MD of Vredestein this week. Better to speak to the manufacturers rather than be a d*ckhead and label people child killers without facts

11th February 2010

Dear XXXX

Following our discussions and investigations on the question of ‘cold weather’ tyres being used during the summer months, I am pleased to confirm the following, which has been qualified by our technical department.

Vredestein gives the safety aspects of our tyres top priority. We have developed a wide range of tyres to offer optimal grip in every conceivable circumstance. That is why our award winning cold weather tyres are an excellent choice for the colder months of the year (average temperature below 7 Celsius), as is our summer tyre during the summer period.

If a customer chooses to run cold weather tyres all year round, there are no dangers in doing so. In fact, we would prefer customers driving with cold weather tyres throughout the whole year versus driving with summer tyres throughout the whole year.

Cold weather tyres during colder months of the year provide improved traction and braking distances can be significantly shorter compared to a summer tyre in the same conditions. Dedicated summer tyres, in summer conditions, perform slightly better than cold weather tyres. However, the difference in winter will be much greater in favour of using a dedicated cold weather application.

This makes the situation clear for everyone concerned and should resolve any misunderstanding.

Yours sincerely
Vredestein (UK) Ltd

Stuart M Jackson
Managing Director

and this bit from me (skitow):-

Well done. I can add to that my personal experience of running 4 cars, 1 van, 1 4x4 and 2 trucks on winter tyres all year in the UK and France for the last 7 years. There is'nt a wear problem, there is a very slight noise increase in the cars, there is a slight handling difference in the cars (different but not necessarily worse in my opinion), wet weather performance is definetly better and if you ever go on a muddy field you can generally drive past all the rest of the wildly spinning masses without a problem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris wrote:
bump!!!!

Someone with too much time on their hands should edit this down into a Sticky IMV

You edit it, I'll sticky it
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt, but he can only edit his own posts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fitted a set of Nokian WRG2's to an AWD Subaru in December 2010. Best thing I have ever done to a car, excellent tyres.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well I could have a go at editing this into a Word Doc which I could then post somewhere for review?

Happy to do that as let's face it this is a topic which comes up a lot!
snow report
Hells Bells, I was assuming edit as in "redact" which ties in with Boris's suggestion

Boris, if you have the time then that would be brilliant, no need to use Word, just post it as a new thread and we can make that sticky.
snow conditions
nbt, sorry, misunderstood.
latest report
I just get mine switched by a local garage. £10 per wheel plus Vat - £48 twice a year. Not cheap, but even if I shelled out on new wheels, it would mean me having to change them... I have delicate hands Embarassed and my time is more valuable than that Very Happy
latest report
The latest Which? deals with winter tyres. Interestingly, though Veredestein, well rated by snoweads, did OK, they did not come first on test. Which? also addressed the question of insurance - but that was in a separate section, and frustratingly, I can't find it. IIRC, it said it felt that, provided wer of a size and rating approved by the car manufacturer, insurance should not be affected, but that it would be investigating further.
snow report
Namsbreh wrote:
Fitted a set of Nokian WRG2's to an AWD Subaru in December 2010. Best thing I have ever done to a car, excellent tyres.

I have those in the higher speed rating on my Forester, love 'em to bits, great on snow and mud and not much difference in the summer. Was on a shoot this afternoon and saw a Land Rover Defender get stuck in mud as it had road tyres on LOL
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy