Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski ares around Salzburg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been following the post "How many resorts in 4 days?" and to my ignorance, as I am the typical 3V, Espace killy, Paradiski type of skier and have never really considered anything else. The afformentioned post has aroused my curiosity especially as the Salzburger Superpass costs less than 500 euro for a season pass and covers 23 resorts.

This is where I come clean I have skied extensively the above resorts over the last 10 years and have paid through the nose for the experience and I don't regret a penny of it.

A couple of years ago I considered buying a shoe box, but even this was probably out of my comfort zone. People have always said to me " Try Austria" but to date I have not.

The post "How many resorts in 4 days" got me thinking and with internet research only I cannot believe how affordable properties are around Bad Gastein & Zell am see.

This is an area I have never visited, but I intend to next summer.

Your Views please
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, I'm a convert to Austria and last year I was looking into properties around Zell am See / Kaprun area. Yes, even with the Euro where it is, the VFM is pretty unbeatable although your typical french rabbit hutch might attract more rental income. Personally I'm not hung up on rental, ski in/out or even on buying in resort. I looked at Saalfelden and Mittersil, both tidy working towns with access to tons of skiing just a short drive away. Being working towns they don't die in summer and there's loads to do for the time you spend not skiing.

Skiing wise you can't ask for much more than having the likes of Saalbach Hinterglemm, Kitzbuhel (linked to Mittersil), Kaprun (for almost 365 days sliding), Zell am See, Gastein Valley, Maria Alm etc.

Property example... large villa in Saalfelden split into 3 apartments - stay in one and rent the other two... about £200k. Austrians know how to build, do plumbing etc - quality is tops.

Worth a trip to go see for yourself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, you have 3 ski resorts in one ski pass: Zell am See, Kaprun and Kitzsteinhorn Glacier. Lots of possibilities for very good skiers as well for begginers. Slope comes directly to Zell am See village and most of the hotels are on walking distance. Zell am See also has as well lots of bars, discotheques and restaurants. Party guaranteed.
Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kel, I've visited Zell am See summer and winter, and also skied a number of the other resorts on the Super Salzburger pass. Like you, I htink it's amazing value, for a wide variety of skiing and some pretty resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Re rental income in Austria, I am not familiar with likely yields in France, so am not comparing, but when you consider the very reasonable initial investment, you can get very good rental income. As an example, in our first year of ownership, we paid our mortgage and bills, and made about 6% of our initial investment on top of that as pure profit. That year, we had about 12 weeks of winter rentals and 8 weeks of summer rentals. Whilst we may not be able to charge as much per night as some of the big french resorts, there is a trade off as places like Zell are rammed in the summer.

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel, I bought in Bad Gastein 2 years ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. We paid 103k Euros for our place. We do rent the apartment out but I didn't buy to rent, I bought it as a base for my own purposes. snowHead I think the day someone damages the place will be the day I stop renting and just keep it for myself.

That said, the renting makes a good return. I expect to rent pretty much every week this ski season even though everyone seams to be tightening their belts.

If you want some advice about buying in Austria, PM me and i'll put you in the direction of some estate agents.

Cheers
Kersh
snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy