Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season 2008/2009 money saving tips

Poster: A snowHead
In response to the thread regarding the article in The Times (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42699) I thought it might be useful to offer money saving tips in a single place, particularly helpful to those on their first trip and especially those with an ever increasing number of children.......

1. Equipment Hire

After being stung in resort a couple of times we stumbled over a Sports shop about 7 km's from the slopes. Prices for a weeks hire were 40-45% cheaper. If you are paying for a family of four this is a significant saving, moreover if you are booking on-line in advance its even cheaper! True you need transport to get there but if you have the flexibility of a car then its a bargain.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lisach wrote:
Sports shop about 7 km's from the slopes

Take into account if anything goes wrong or need to change anything then you need to get back there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
daehwons wrote:
lisach wrote:
Sports shop about 7 km's from the slopes

Take into account if anything goes wrong or need to change anything then you need to get back there.

Granted, however we were fortunate that the shop we found had affiliate in resort and they were more than happy to swap a pair of boots on day 2. No harm in asking!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't bother going, that would save you loads. Your call. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had three trips last winter - and with the decline of the pound over the winter (mainly after I had booked them all!) it did get very expensive, so decided I couldn't afford that level of expenditure again.

It's now ending up with us starting to organise the 4th trip of the winter - so how am I saving?

Trip 1 is midweek in November with Mountainsun to Tignes - cheap accomodation including transfers, cheap EJ flights, and as demo skis are provided we don't need to transport skis.
Trip 2 is the week incorporating New Year - the most expensive week of the season. Four in a car, £60 ferry crossing, accomodation is £18 per night each in a Hostel at Nancroix, close to the Vanoise Express and the lifts of Les Arcs / Peisey.
Trip 3 is the "main" (most expensive!) one, at the end of January but £45 ferry crossing, and 5 in the car to Selva in the Dolomites helps keep costs down - unfortunately apartments there are not very cheap either.
Trip 4 is in the planning stage for March - but looking for 4 in the car, possibly skiing the 4 Valleys, staying in a very cheap apartment in Nendaz.

On the driving trips we get 8 days skiing on each trip, which reduces the "cost per day". Also by driving there is no appreciable additional cost for taking our skis, and with 3 trips per year having your own skis saves money. The main cost we can't do anything about is the lift pass - wanting to ski good sized areas is expensive for eight day passes.

Ski trips will never be cheap - but compared to how much it costs us, the Tour Operators brochure prices (which must be where lots of people get thier trips) look positively frightening!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 29-09-08 9:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cancel Gym subscription - its good intentions rather than practical usage anyway

= 4 x 1 week lift passes for the family. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Easter week flights to Zurich rather than GVA - another £400 saved
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go budget and leave the helicopter at home. Also, fly solo and pass on renting a ski bunny. wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Last year - 2 long weekends and 2 weeks
This year - 1 week and 1 fortnight

Economies of scale (I hope) ... and slightly greener, see other thread. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I started skiing I once hitch hiked to Bareges. I got down there in 24 hours in three trucks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

When I started skiing I once hitch hiked to Bareges. I got down there in 24 hours in three trucks

Yeah but you only started 40 miles down the road and the truckers couldnt put up wiht ya Razz NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Sorry way to easy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pah, save money on summer, go mad in the flakes!!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wear more clothes at home, switch off the heating and save loads
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go ski bulgaria
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Organise a group of 10, keep the free place for yourself. Volunteer to organise and hold the whip but don't put your bit in. That should save a fair bit of dosh.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Become a ski club rep....
snow conditions
Set up a phoney charity... justgiving.com/towardsmyskitripthanks
ski holidays
Or become a ski journalist? Bode Swiller ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy