Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to start - tele

Poster: A snowHead
fancy learning to tele this year. general question on kit (in anticipation of my letter to the North Pole):

currently love movement skis for both DH (gladiators, goliaths) and AT (gladiators) days, with stiff-ish crispi (diablo freeride) boots for AT. Anyone recommend a tele setup on that basis? (i'm 5'11 and lean mean rolling eyes 100kg)

ta
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few of us tried it out at the MSB in Wengen (and some did it again at the EoSB in Val T - I would have too, but I didn't feel too good that morning Little Angel ).

ronald and Masque both got quite interested in the equipment side of things, and I Masque was quite in the know about a particular set-up that was very versatile.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
barry, You have this all wrong...... you need to start by growing a beard then not wash for a few weeks.... Then you need to start to look for kit..... Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
II,
Quote:
Then you need to start to look for kit in the back of skips..... Wink

fixed it for ya.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Barry I just buy two pairs of skis at a time one pair gets DH bindings the other pair gets tele bindings. With regards to boots, same as for any boots target your level then buy the pair that fits better than any others. If you are a half decent alpine skier you will be carving tele turns in no time on the piste - may take a bit of work for the waist deep powder.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My friends loves his G3's.........tickets, I believe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
II wrote:
barry, You have this all wrong...... you need to start by growing a beard then not wash for a few weeks.... Then you need to start to look for kit..... Wink

there's still time before the season starts, i'm nothing if not committed to my hobbies Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry,

I've just got a set of movement climax from 07/08 sitting on the front room floor, that I picked up cheap from tele pyrenees - they are mounted with 7TM power bindings, cos I like the idea of a release. I'll be able to tell you what they are like once we get some snow, or in the New year after I've been to the dolomites.

My present skis are some Fischer Tstix with 7TM allmountain bindings, which I liked. These will now be relegated to scottish use and for touring on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nice one Dave, thanks. bindings are a whole other (unknown) story for me and there looks like there's endless possible combinations rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To learn on - find a pair of old alpine skis with a flat mount, not too long but as wide as you like. Buy some bindings : G3 Targa, Rottefella Cobra R8, Black Diamond O2, 7tm maybe to taste. Sounds like you want to go 4 clip on the boots so Scarpa T1, Garmont Energy , Crispi equivalent. then once you're into it buy whatever ski you fancy - movement may some very nice tele specific skis plus their regular range skis tele well for instance.

parlor will recommend 130mm + factions as do it all tele skis wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
barry, sorry for the side-track. how do you find Glads alpine all round at 100kg..?

I have them ( 183) mounted with Dukes and I think they are tosionally stiff enough but the TT worries me as I am 6'2 and 85kgs. I don't want them to totally suck on hardpack but of course, I will only really venture there going home of the 4 o'clock run..which is always glazed and icy.

Wondered how they differ from the 184 Goliath. I quite like the look of the Baggy's..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT,

find them perfect for me, needed something relatively stiff for my size. have always actually found them excellent on hardpack (relatively speaking of course). if i were only allowed 1 pair, glads would be it
The goliaths are a different kettle of fish in stiffness, i have the older 191 version and they're proper stiff, though a blast to ski
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to the club barry - you'll be wanting this thread, over here - do note the bruise wink

If I were you I'd hit the telemark packages page of Sport Conrad and see if anything grabs your fancy. For example, they have Atomic Nomad Crimsons reduced to 249 euros flat; or yours for between 279 and 309 with bindings.

Personally, I'd get some skis to learn on which aren't too fat or unforgiving - telemarking is hard enough without creating problems for yourself - note that bruise wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry, welcome to the mysterious world of the novice telemarker!

I am 5'8" about 85kg and a strong alpine skier with those stats I based my choice of tele ski and binding on what I could get on ebay for about £120.

Which were 180cm movement freeheels with cobra 6 bindings, got some harder springs for the bindings from Breamar for not much (the orange ones) and made up some leashes.

They are fine- but how do I know if I'd be better on something else?

Toying with the VIST plate system- to go on my 168 Folis- and possibly on the movement skis as well (also some Nomads or Shamans), that way 3 pairs of skis that me and Mrs Ed could use between us Alpine or tele depending on th econdidtions (will the movement freeheels ski ok on alpine bindings- I guess so)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the problem is that I have no idea where I could actually test different tele skis and binding.

If anybody does know then I would really appreciate teh tip- I know there is a bigish tele shop in Chamonix- do they test?- (but then it is a pain to get up the valley on to snow- easier to have a test centre ski in/ski out). I really can't see how testing on a dry slope or in a snow dome can tell anything. No powder, no steeps, no ice, not long enough to go fast etc etc etc.....

With my alpine skis I spent the best part of a week testing 5-6 pairs of skis, but I have a feeling that at least 1 pair woould have skied differently with diferent bindings.
With tele it is much more difficult, the skis, binding and boots all seem to make a difference. That is a lot of combinations. Also what are you looking for skis/binding/boots good as a novice or for when (hopefully not too far away) you are getting decent turns in and/or going off piste/steep?
latest report
edsilva - Au Vieux Campeur at Thonon run a telemark test day in Les Gets every year. It was 26 / 27 Jan last year.

I've sent Au Vieux Campeur an email to ask if they're running one this year and will post on this thread if I get a reply.
ski holidays
edsilva, if you enjoy your ski for alpine you most likely to enjoy it telemark too.

fatbob,FYI 130mm waisted telemark skis do NOT work on piste. I would not recommend them.
ski holidays
parlor, nah. 128mm waisted skis are the way to go eh mate.
snow report
edsilva, These guys in Courchevel hire some very obscure touring and tele gear and you may be able to demo a few different combinations. http://www.free-style-courchevel.com/location-ski-free-ride-courchevelUK.html

I know what you mean buying boots,bindings, skis are a lot to commit too when you havent done much telemarking and not been able to hire anything.
snow conditions
barry, no help from me really- I guess that the only point I can really make is that perhaps the best thing to do is; get some boots (that fit)- then just try some skis and bindings..... if you are stingy like me then try second hand!

parlor, I can't but think you are right that if I like a ski alpine then I will like to tele it too. Alpine skis that I really have liked are;

Foils (but I think that perhaps mine were/are a bit too short and that I have knackered them in not many weeks skiing- about 9 now- but quite floppy after 6- that said I can still go quite fast in them) because good on piste-great for me off piste - never fall over- I wonder if they would be good with tele bindings??? or maybe some new ones with the wood core rather than foam?

Movement flames (but when I tested these with movement bindings in about 2005/06 I kept coming out of them off piste or in bumps- which just never happens) I m guessing that the freeheels will be a bit like the flamas as a similar size and construction- I found the flames to be really very fast and grippy on piste - but needed to go fast all the time to get anything out of them- which means I really need to speed up on my freeheels I think.

Dynastar Legend 8000s- very smooth everywhere

Black Diamond kilowatts- for me quite a big ski which I found would go fairly fast off piste and was really a life saver in tricky/collapsing spring snow (Zermatt - bottom of Alphubeljoch -beginning of May)
ski holidays
edsilva, if you can I would avoid twin tips as a tele ski. I keep threatening but haven't got round to hacking the tails off a pair or two of my tele skis. I don't think I ski with my legs particularly close together but I have been known to catch my tails a fair bit.

I'm a big fan of the BD range, don't be shy of a little extra size. Once you drop your first knee in powder you'll keep going back, so cheat and get something with some good float.

Committing to telemark turns is hard to start with, but two or three faceplants later you'll start to pick it up. It's a beautiful sensation.
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
I don't think I ski with my legs particularly close together but I have been known to catch my tails a fair bit.

Happens when feet diverge. Shifting the binding back can help.
snow report
parlor, I know from where you speak, doesn't happen often but when you're standing on twin tip tails they wont pull through, and this doesn't happen with flat tails I can pull back out from under the other ski.

edsilva, I've been happy mounting all kinds of alpine skis tele, usually going on reviews and knowing what I like to ski, and even though I demo tele skis every year I still end up happier with my tele mounted alpine skis. I do like to ski somewhat agressively though.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
parlor wrote:
I don't think I ski with my legs particularly close together but I have been known to catch my tails a fair bit.

Happens when feet diverge. Shifting the binding back can help.

Hmm. I have in the past asked for my skis to be slightly forward mounted, even moving them back would put them in more of balance centre mark. I'll give this a try.
latest report
Quote:

not sure about a fair bit, but I've noticed I do it as well on TT's..... Sad
latest report
JT, before we start an adductor/abductor debate, check the taper of the next TTs you notice it on. Bet it's 12mm or less.
ski holidays
comprex, I am sure it is not a major issue, I guess I just lock the feet too close together when I stop, sometimes.
snow conditions
JT, agreed, probably not major. I merely wish to determine the distinction between "too close together" and "subconsciously slightly duck footed".

In fact, IMO we are at least partly culturally conditioned to have a duck footed stance when we stop, because pigeon toeing is too reminiscent of beginner wedges and ploughs, whereas dead parallel slides.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, I don't have a duck foot stance, for sure. I think it is laziness or lack of concentration and maybe not having used TT's I haven't picked up that I do this.
In a way, this accentuates something and now I get this gentle reminder. I'll see how this works and how the tail snag affects what I do...in more important places.
ski holidays
Interesting the Movements I've just bought are TTs have to see if I have any problems with them when I try them out.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, taper?
ski holidays
bit shell-shocked by all the possibilities - particularly bindings, but not to be put off - a pair of movement thunders are in the post (£275-ish from telemark pyrenees - seems to be almost half-off rrp). will get some shop-help locally for bindings, booties and any other doings

shhhweet
snow conditions
barry, T-P are probably your best help re bindings. But it's easy, just buy some Hammerheads Toofy Grin
ski holidays
There are some 7tms on ebay.de at the moment. I haven't skied them but they are DIN releasable, which may be of interest to you. I have had some very big spills telemarking but never felt the need for releasable bindings, including one fall that was so hard I ripped the whole binding out of the ski - happier to do that than rip a knee though. Just a thought.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy