Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to save on the ski slopes

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/article4830675.ece?token=null&offset=24&page=3

I am surprised nobody has posted this link yet. Goldsmith would have this and half a dozen other items posted before breakfast in the old days of Snowheads.

Nothing much different from the usual article of this type, though he does suggest a full car as being the cheapeast way to the Alps. I do not remember cars being recommended for cost previously.

Station de ski feature heavily. I am sure lesser known places are cheaper.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latchigo wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/winter_sports/article4830675.ece?token=null&offset=24&page=3

, though he does suggest a full car as being the cheapeast way to the Alps.

Add to the quote overnight stops en route, for me it is over 900 miles door to door, comprehensive euro cover for the car, some snow chains you may only use for the one journey and if your looking at the true cost 2000 miles of depreciation on your car.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its been posted multiple times today but brian has an auto hack into all the links to eliminate references to Resort Y wink
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't mount a DNS attack on the times website and was up early arsoning newsagent deliveries.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was an annoying article... do we need to be told that it's cheaper to make your own sarnies and carry them around all bloody day? Do we need to be told that January is cheaper than peak times? Being spoken down to by a hack that doesn't have to pay for anything is a bit rich. He got a few things wrong... I'd agree that going by car isn't always cheaper and relying on last minute deals is folly this season as the tour ops are known to have massively cut capacity.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the subject of shoddy journalism I saw a copy of Active Snow in Tesco yesterday - I thought this used to be a freebie giveaway in ski shops worth 10 mins flick through but charging £2.50 for the shiny bog paper and risible lightweight articles seemed beyond a joke.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone else read this stuff and think, yawn, I've heard it all before ......

I used to love reading ski pieces in the papers but now it's all same old, same old .....

Or perhaps that's just me rolling eyes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi, no you are right it is same old same old
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Total rubbish rolling eyes , with the exception of renting your equipment online in advance (ps. directly with the shop to get the lowest price), this is poorly researched. Does anyone know what qualifications you need to be a 'travel writer'?

Unless you insist on 5* Hotel Food there are hundreds of decent hotels in and around the alps that do not need to cost a small fortune. Self-catering is more and more expensive with the poor exchange rate and after a day on the slopes the last thing you fancy is cooking and then washing up!

And January? Unless you want to push up the blood pressure worring about the weather, avoid.

As for lunch, choose a hotel with a decent breakfast buffet, eat well and take extra with you and some fruit for lunch, easy.

Taking kids in term time is not cheap but with just a little thought big savings can be made.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Missed the obvious one - pay for your Eurotunnel crossing with Tesco Vouchers Cool

Some other simple things if you're driving and have the time:

1. Buy booze and non-perishables in Calais - much, much cheaper
2. Fresh stuff buy in big supermarkets in Albertville - again much cheaper
3. Self-catering IMHO is a lot cheaper overall
4. Take the kids late JAn Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

And January? Unless you want to push up the blood pressure worring about the weather, avoid.

nonsense, what's wrong with January ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masmith wrote:
Quote:

nonsense, what's wrong with January ?

Two very poor trips in January to low resorts have prompted this comment. Even last year in Feb it was a dump on the days leading up the saved further frustration. The weather be summer or winter is simply not reliable and by leaving it later at least the accumulation will help.

Recall here that we are talking about saving money and while going high is fine in January its often more expensive and lift passes are far more expensive.

To save the most money try the lower resorts (1000-1200ft), driving in each day if necessary.

As for Self Catering, for a summer holiday its a no-brainer (in France specifically) but my experience of Winter rentals are cramped boxes with no real benefits save being closest to the lifts, which granted is good, however a week living like that can soon end up with frayed tempers.

Please bear in mind the food in France is even more expensive that it is in the UK now, and the supermarkets in resort are very expensive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I go away with a large group in January every year and the conditions can be variable, however, we've always been able to ski, irrespective of where we've been Toofy Grin

last year in January the 3 valleys were excellent the week we were there, stayed in Meribel and skied all over, dumped with snow during the week, so even the beginners were skiing in powder on the easy pistes snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi wrote:
Does anyone else read this stuff and think, yawn, I've heard it all before ......

I used to love reading ski pieces in the papers but now it's all same old, same old .....

Or perhaps that's just me rolling eyes

I share the same thoughts; but people still do come to Snowheads asking about skiing on the cheap. I think cost will be a big topic this season.

My point is that it is a ski article in Sunday newspaper and nobody even bothered to mention it; whereas we can easily do 40 page threads on non-ski stuff.

I may be suspicious of journalism but would not ignore stuff that may be relevant.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do people really spend time reading websites like that?

Somewhere in amongst all the adverts sits a 2" wide column of text, talk about style over substance. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surely if you want cheap there are the small resorts linked into the bigger ones, in my limited experience such places as, Orelle for Val Thorens, Brides le bain for Meribel, Tignes for Val de Isere, La rosiere for Italy. I'm sure fellow snowHads will come up wih many more Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FenlandSkier wrote:
Do people really spend time reading websites like that?

I read it in the actual physical newspaper today.

But would have given the link if I had been making the first post about it.
snow conditions
Latchigo wrote:

I am surprised nobody has posted this link yet. Goldsmith would have this and half a dozen other items posted before breakfast in the old days of Snowheads.

Nothing much different from the usual article of this type, though he does suggest a full car as being the cheapeast way to the Alps. I do not remember cars being recommended for cost previously.

And of course, he quoted a cost of £87 per person going by car, while you can get Easyjet flights for about £60 return, so it isn't actually the cheapest.
ski holidays
lisach wrote:
Total rubbish .

While most of it is things that we all know, that doesn't make it rubbish.

The rest of your post basically suggested that you are not willing to do any of those things in order to save - which is fine if you can afford it,, but then you are not looking at trying to get as cheap a ski trip as you can reasonably manage.
ski holidays
Quote:

And of course, he quoted a cost of £87 per person going by car, while you can get Easyjet flights for about £60 return, so it isn't actually the cheapest.

plus transfers, more often that not at least £27. Then aiport parking and 3 pints of Guiness at the airport Very Happy
ski holidays
Sure....but....factor in your transfer/car hire then add airport parking or travel to/fro the UK airport and most would struggle to keep under the £87 referred to.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
lisach wrote:
Total rubbish .

While most of it is things that we all know, that doesn't make it rubbish.

The rest of your post basically suggested that you are not willing to do any of those things in order to save - which is fine if you can afford it,, but then you are not looking at trying to get as cheap a ski trip as you can reasonably manage.

Trust me we do many things to save money each year as the kids get older and everything gets more expensive.

The article could have been so much more usefull for newcomers to the sport who are likely put off by cost.

I am very tempted to submit an article myself.

First however I will create a new thread on this forum along these lines.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy