Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which resort???

Poster: A snowHead
hi, I'm currently trying to decide where to go for my annual trip in January.

Went to Les Deux Alpes last year (mainly because of the altitude) and was very impressed. A couple of resorts that have took my fancy so far are Solden and Saalbach, but I also looked at Mayrhofen last year so that's not out of the question for this year.

Has anybody got any information on the Resorts mentioned above? Or any other resorts I have overlooked? The trip will be for 4 lad's all mid 20's all strong intermediate skiers, after lively nightlife as well as the skiing!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42623#1024434

lots of info on Mayrhofen.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjb wrote:
The trip will be for 4 lad's all mid 20's all strong intermediate skiers, after lively nightlife as well as the skiing!

Nightlife = Austria

- therefore suggestions would include St. Anton, Mayrhofen and Ischgl. Of those resorts I've only personally been to St. Anton but heard good things about the others, and they are on my todo list. St. Anton has a 'rep' for being a 'hard-core' skiers place and you'll probably see more people wearing beepers there than most other resorts. Certainly if you hire a guide and go off-piste off the back of rendl or similar than you're up for a great day - most of the close to resort lift served off-piste or intineraires get tracked out very quickly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Saalbach the week before Christmas last year and enjoyed it so much that we are returning next January.

The slopes were empty when we went and I'm hoping it will be the same next time. There is plenty of skiing and you can do a full circuit of the Saalbach/Hinterglem valley in a day (I calculated it at about 35km of skiing in total). There are plenty of blue and red runs. We stuck to the blues and didn't get bored.

There are plenty of mountain restaurants to choose from and we didn't have a bad meal the whole week we were there. Prices were reasonable (6-8 euros for a pizza or pasta). I'd also like to point out that the toilets were absolutely spotless wherever we went.

I can't really comment on the Apres ski as we stayed just outside of Saalbach so usually just went straight back to our apartment at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjb, i'd recommend saalbach or st anton... both seem to fit the bill. with st anton having a better snow record but most on here say it's more expensive
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton €161 to hire premium skis Shocked

rjb, I have stayed in both Saalbach and Solden. They are both very lively and suitable for your group and level of skiing. Saalbach is probably dearer than Solden, but I really liked it. Saalbach tends to have early Apres 5.00 - 7.00 pm and I didn't see much happeinng after that, though I dare say there was if you knew where to look. Solden had loads of nightclubs and the partying was definitely going on into the morning. New Years Eve the club under our Hotel, was still playing music until 9.30 am New Years day. Not many TO's go to Solden, we went with Neilsons.

I hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the replys. Very helpfull infomation!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been to Les Deux Aes, skiing good but nightlife sucks as does it does in the rest of France. If you want good apres ski Austria is the country. Not been to Saalbach but hear good reports. Have been to Solden and Mayerhofen and liked both but if you can afford it go to Ischgl - snowsure, great lift system, lovely village and apres ski that has been transported from another planet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
Saalbach-Hinterglemm, like Ischgl, is one of the biggest lift-linked resorts in Austria, with 200km of runs.There is skiing/boarding for all abilities, particularly better intermediates. There is an excellent ski school and good nursery slopes for beginners.Saalbach-Hinterglemm has top apres-ski and nightlife, although it can get rather rowdy with hordes of young Dutch, Brits, Scandinavians and Germans flooding the villages' bars and clubs.http://www.saalbach.at/620.0.html?L=1&id=620
You can also read my post at Mayerhofen. But maybe you should take a look at Ischgl or St.Anton.
St.Anton- The town itself is mostly bars, hotels and sports shops. Those seeking upscale shopping will be better served 20 minutes away at upscale Lech. In St. Anton, people don't go exclusively for the partying but, in the words of one local, it is "great added value after the skiing".The lift pass covers not just St Anton, but Lech-Zürs too. If you are looking for the more advanced terrain, then you won't be disappointed. And visit The Mooserwirt - the world's wildest ski bar. I like going out in St Anton because the Germans and Austrians are so nice and friendly when they've had a few drinks. Seriously!

Ischgl has it all—40 lifts, more than 230 km. of wide trails, cross-border skiing runs into Switzerland, off-trail areas, cross-country, Alpine village atmosphere, inviting local cuisine, both luxury and affordable lodging options, and some of the wildest après-ski and nightlife in Austria. There is so much fun to be had in Ischgl I recommend resting up before you go. Be forewarned, nearly 50 percent of Ischgl’s skiers are from Germany, so if you want to meet people, it helps to speak some German.. If that’s not an option, you’ll fit in if you just practice dancing in your ski boots.
snowHead snowHead www.ischgl.com/en-ski-vacation-tyrol.htm
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjb,
If you are going in January there will always be last minute availability. This will mean that you can wait andsee hwere has the best snowand if going for a place popular with Brit chalets you may get a very cheap deal as well.

Ischgl has a good snow record and a really lively apres scene, by Austrian standards it is not cheapand not being a package destination you probably won't get last minute deals.
St Anton has a livley apre ski scene and often has last minute chalet deals.
Val d'Isere and Verbier are other pricy destinations with Brit apres ski that are pricey but otften have last minute deals.

Saalbach, Solden and Mayrhofen have lively reputations but Ive never been.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Went to Les Deux Alpes last year (mainly because of the altitude) and was very impressed.

If L2A impresses you St. Anton will blow your mind ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjb wrote:
Went to Les Deux Alpes last year (mainly because of the altitude) and was very impressed.

yeah... like, with what, dude?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
rjb wrote:

yeah... like, with what, dude?

Some of the most advanced and best off piste skiing in Europe, would that impress someone? Having said that probably one of the busier resorts in Austria, so you may have to fight for your powder...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bart_bdv, hang on - so you were with rjb?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjb, Agree with the others. St Anton should be added to your list. Have been going there for the last 6 years with the boys and it pretty much ticks every box you would want for a boys trip, unless you want strip bars, in which case Ischgl would be better. I've not been to Ischgl but have been wanting to go for a couple of years now but was put off by reports that the Russians are taking over - ie quite literally...paying bar staff thousands of Euros to clear the place and leave to the mafia types. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but this is coming from my neighbours boss, who goes about 4 trips a year, so don't think he's bullshi**ing. Saalbach would be good too but snow probably not as good as St Anton
snow conditions
I'd agree... StAnton or Ischgl excellent... Solden pretty good but smaller ski area... Saalbach great apres but sometimes rsiky for snow as v low and half is south facing... All great for apres though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy