Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a way i can check that my boots are not too big?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a set of Saloman X wave 8's about 6 years ago and to be fair they are generally pretty comfy. I had molded footbeds made and went through all the process of having the liners heated and then my feet in the boots with toe caps on whilst the liner cooled etc and apart from when i overtighten them they have never caused me any paid at all. Unfortunately i only get to ski 6 days or so a year so they're unlikely to be worn out.

However, i went on honeymoon last year with my wife to whistler and found myself skiing in conditions very different from the usual french groomers. There was a lot more loose powder on the pistes and i found that it felt like my foot was moving slightly in my boot. The boots have always felt fairly roomy and hence i have to do them up fairly tight and getting the balance between tight and too tight and getting pins and needles is a fine balance.

I'm not sure if this is paranoia and the problems were more down to my technique (or lack of) than my boots, but is there a simple way of checking to see if the shell is the right size for my foot?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shell check without liner in -get wife to look down back of boot with a torch while you stand with toes brushing the front of shell. How much space is there in cm- an expert will be able to tell you what it means - something like 1-1.5cm snug 2-2,5 comfort >2.5 loose
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simple...take the liner out the boot and put your foot into the empty shell, have your toes gently brushing the front of the shell ..how much space is there behind your heel?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you thought about taking the liner out, standing in the shell with your toes brushing the front of the boot and seeing how much room there is at the heel?

Just a thought.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Full house..!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lower, I seem to remember reading on here that Salomon liners tend to pack down fairly quickly; maybe you just need a new liner.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, the looser the initial fit, the faster the liner packs out. 36 days is about what I'd expect in a 2cm fit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the end of the day if you feel your feet are moving in your boots and affecting the speed that your skis are reacting to your foot movements then the boots may have become too roomy. I noticed the same thing last year having skied on my Salomans for about 6 years too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did a shell check this afternoon. Its quite difficult to tell because the heel pocket looks quite big, but on my smaller foot i'd say there's 20-25mm of space behind my heel.

The movement i feel tends to be a bit of side to side movement in my foot and some heel lift. The heel lift is only really noticeable when i'm skiing in conditions that i'm not used to and why weight is getting thrown around a bit, hence my comments about whether its my technique at fault rather the boot.

What do the experts think? Am i being paranoid and the boots are fine, can the liners be padded to make them a tighter fit, or should i be looking at new boots.

Just for perspective, i'm your usual reasonably competant 1 week per year skier who's skied since he was 10 and likes to think he's a better skier than he actually is. I'll ski any marked run on the mountain but find the harder blacks challenging.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lower wrote:
Did a shell check this afternoon.....I'd say there's 20-25mm of space behind my heel....

That's a bit big for a recreational fit but I'm sure that CEM could work his magic to take up some slack & reduce your heel lift. For a performance fit it's new boots time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, That's an interesting comment - I'd assumed that, short of a thicker liner, it would be very difficult to reduce the size of a tooo large boot. Is it done with packing, or can the shell be physically reduced in size?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I had the ankle area of my liners packed out with additional foam sheet to narrow the fit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All the liners i've seen that have been packed out had random bit of foam loosely glued on that didn't look like a permanent solution.

I'm sure there's a better way of doing it. What do proper boot fitters use to pack the liner that does allow you to actually remove the liner for drying?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lower, The sheets I had stuck on have stayed put though many liner removals. Next time though I may go for the custom liner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy