Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Work in New Zealand?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of doing a ski season in NZ, maybe Wanaka or Christchurch.
Anyone know any sites to research work there?
Maybe as a technician in a ski shop or something.
Would have to get a working holiday visa I assume.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, If you want to get a job as a tech in Wanaka or Chch, you're best getting there early like end of April as the best jobs go fast. Research the shops in town so you hit the ground running. Most can be found on www.snow.co.nz

Yes you will need a working holiday visa which are not hard to get but arrange it at least a couple of months before you leave the UK. All the details for the visa can be found here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workingholiday/unitedkingdomworkingholidayscheme.htm
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no experience as a tech - still ok?
What are some decent sociable jobs to do?
Will work start in April or June, when ski season starts?
Can you say the date you want the visa to start from?

The alternative is not work and credit card it up for the few months but I might get bored Smile
Hopefully being 30 won't be too much of an issue.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, this might not be a whole lot of use to you but some first hand advice from someone who knows. A friend of a friends who has spent many seasons out there..

"Have you any preference of ski fields in nz? where ever you go be prepared for low pay, cold accommodation (new zealanders are not so keen on central heating) and changeable hours. skiing in nz is a little like skiing in scotland though we have more altitude the weather can be apalling and ski fields can be closed for days on end. on the up side you will meet loads of great people and have lots of laughs, and the skiing can be so so good!!! being a ski instructor in nz is all about the lifestyle, its not considered a career and the pay reflects this unfortunately.

When I was last home we did a season at Whakapapa, mt Ruapehu in the north island. its great fun but if you're just looking at doing one season you are better off going to the sth island, treble cone is a wicked ski field (not many lifts but great terrain) and the town wanaka is really laid back and sweet, not as touristy and full on as the neighbouring queenstown. Mt Hutt is alright, better for intermediates and the same goes for Cardrona, Coronet Peak can be wicked but it means living in queenstown which is very expensive. its important to live somewhere where theres something to do on your days off and/or if the mountains closed.

check out the ski fields online - most of them have great website and jobs posted, ski schools will answer any questions you might have or fire some back to me if needs be. ask about living quarters, transport to the ski field ( not many ski fields have staff accomodation on the mt), rates of pay and minimum weekly hours, length of contract (down sth the season is shorter, and you may have either a late start or early finish if the snows not there!). ok hope i haven't put you off, just want you to be aware its not quite as easy as canada! make sure you have time to travel round nz when you finish too! "
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman wrote:
I have no experience as a tech - still ok?
What are some decent sociable jobs to do?
Will work start in April or June, when ski season starts?
Can you say the date you want the visa to start from?

The alternative is not work and credit card it up for the few months but I might get bored Smile
Hopefully being 30 won't be too much of an issue.

Most likely Wanaka but think I would prefer South.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, the ski tech course doesn't take long in Canada anyways, just show you how to adjust rental binders and read the chart. Work in a bar for the social side. You would easily be able to find the answer to your season start Q on google. Not sure about the VIsas or who supplies them you would need to find out and ring them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My niece and BF did a season, in Queenstown. They had freezing cold and rather smelly accommodation (she slept in several layers and a beanie). She worked in a pizza place, he in a bar. They had a great time. But she's quite tough and adventurous; e.g. worked in a hospital in Shanghai in high summer with no air conditioning (except in the operating suite!), just come back from a bed-bug ridden homestay in Guatemala, learning Spanish. So comfort is not vital for her! Shortly going back to med. school for another year. As the quote above suggests, working and skiing a season in New Zealand is challenging, but seems well worthwhile.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So I'd have to do a qualification in NZ to be a tech?
Bar work would be social but likely evenings- though you could ski all day. Suppose I could stay in a backpacker place or work in a hostel?
Why's the accommodation so cold?
I heard last year NZ had a great season-not many off days.
I'm travelling at the moment so it might be a logical place to do a ski season on my way round
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman, Work in civil engineering... all theirs have p'ed off to Oz Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You might be able to get a job in ski hire type places without experience but I'd be surprised if you got any proper ski tech work without experience or some form of qualification. You can do ski tech courses with anything technical but they are not cheap. I wouldn't set your mind on one particular job. I spent the season in Wanaka and most people who didn't work on mountain were doing cleaning, chambermaiding etc. Best thing to do is just to turn up and see what jobs are going.

Would add that Christchurch isn't exactly close to skiing. Its an 1-1.5hr drive to the nearest ski fields so not an option for a season. Methven is the closest thing to a ski town in Canterbury but its pretty sleepy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seriously... see who the road maintenance firm for the region is and approach them with regard to a winter maintenance position. I was out there last year and there is a fair bit of work available.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa wrote:
Seriously... see who the road maintenance firm for the region is and approach them with regard to a winter maintenance position. I was out there last year and there is a fair bit of work available.

What exactly does road maintenance cover in winter?
Honestly, bar work by the sounds of it is best but that'll be late nights early starts skiing Smile
Maybe a rental shop then I could try out some skis all season Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GordonFreeman, On the road gangs it would be hard physical work. They have a lot of landslides that need clearing. But they still do the whole gritting, patching, flood contol etc work that goes on in the UK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, Consider Ruapehu also. There would be nothing stopping you getting work as a liftie or on mountain rental. Means you might be able to get more ski time in. http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/employment/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, how close is Queenstown to all its ski fields?
Wanaka sounds cool as long as not too quiet and skiing is top notch.

And...what the hell do you put on your CV? The last time I worked in a bar was when I was 20! All the career stuff since then is gonna look a bit out of place Smile
snow report
GordonFreeman, about 30 mins drive. Not to far but winding mountain roads. I prefer Wanaka to Qs town. I find Queenstown a bit touristy but if you're going for a party season then it'd be the place to go.
Just be honest on your CV but highlight your bar work and put it at the top of your work experiance. It's all about door knocking and showing that you're keen to work.

Personally my favourite winter job back home is a lifty. (apart from deiceing. that sucks)
snow report
I did a season in NZ a few years back. I stayed in queenstown, worked at some holiday apartments. Was a great job - work in the mornings then head up the hill. Be warned - if you work on the hill the wages are shockingly low. Socially pretty much any job will be good, as most people are in the same situation, just there for the season. Whichever town you go for, i'd advise getting there early, before the season really gets underway otherwise most of the good jobs will be snapped up. I wouldn't stress too much about the CV, like kiwi1 said, it's about showing face and being keen.

Queenstown can be a bit manic (especially when the tour buses arrive....), wanaka is definitley more laid back, but both are fun.
snow report
Hey mate,
Try www.snowseasoncentral.com/new-zealand which is a site which has a heap of info on working at ski resorts in New Zealand and around the world written up by people who've done seasons at these places.

Wanaka is not a bad place to go, with the Treble Cone and Cardrona resorts nearby. Queenstown is bigger than Wanaka if you're looking for a bigger party scene. Also, don't just forget about Australia, you can have an awesome time there too at places like Mt Hotham and Thredbo. www.snowseasoncentral.com/australia

Doing rentals is not a bad job, but the wages working for the mountain are low compared to in town in New Zealand. If you can get a job in the repairs shop you'll be set for a pretty great season too as they often work at night giving you the day to ride or ski. I enjoyed being a liftie for a season as you got to know the mountain pretty well and there's usually a good crew who take up the liftie jobs.

Enjoy mate
ski holidays
If you are looking at the differences between Wanaka & Queenstown for a season keep these points in mind. Both are about the same distance from the snow. One season pass will cover both Coronet Peak & Remarkables (Queenstown) but Cardrona & Treble Cone (Wanaka) have separate passes. Queenstown has about four times the permanent population compared to Wanaka and about ten times the number of bars and restaurants so has way more off snow job opportunities. Both are relatively expensive to live in and having lived in both I would say that Wanaka has the higher costs. Wanaka is more relaxed and due to the smaller population of both locals and seasonaires it is easier to get to know people. You need to be here now if you want work. Give it a go you will have a great time.
latest report
Just to point out, this thread is 5 years old. Unless I've missed something obvious, which is highly likely, being Northern and all.
snow conditions
N0rthernMonkey, It takes a long time to paddle out there in a canoe Laughing
ski holidays
Hey. It seems to me that you are not the only one. Yes, initially, we need to find a suitable job that can help resolve the issue of obtaining a visa. In this case, you need to write to employers and ask them if this option is possible or not. I have encountered such a problem, but I was able to solve it with the help of https://nz.jobsora.com, where I was able to find the employer I needed. The main thing does not give up!
latest report
I would like to think they are sorted by now :: Did you not notice that the last post in this thread was SIX years old ??

snow conditions
Spam
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy