Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine to Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm probably going go to Morzine and am definitely going to Saalbach this winter. Does anyone know if it is possible to get from Morzine to Saalbach without a car and without returning to UK? Or is it easiest to either return to UK inbetween or just take the car and have a little road trip?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sure, it's possible, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it...

Take a bus from Morzine to Cluses (30 minutes) or Thonon-les-Bains (1 hour?), and then switch to the train to get to Zurich (5.5 hours), via 3 changes. From either station, you end up at Bellegarde, and the routes (and trains) from then on are the same.

From Zurich, take the Vienna train to Wörgl (4.5 hours), and change for Zell am See (1.5 hours). From there, take the postbus to Saalbach - 30 minutes or so.

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp gives this:

Code:

Cluses(Haute-Savoie)     27.09.08  dep 07:50     RE 96574  RegionalExpress Direction: Annemasse

Annemasse       arr 08:39   
Annemasse       dep 08:44     RE 96572  RegionalExpress Direction: Lyon Part Dieu

Bellegarde(Ain)       arr 09:19   
Bellegarde(Ain)       dep 10:10     TGV 6561  TGV Genevois Direction: Geneve

Geneve       arr 10:35   
Geneve       dep 10:45 4   IC 723  InterCity Direction: St. Gallen(CH)

Zürich HB       arr 13:28   
Zürich HB       dep 13:40     OEC 161  ÖBB EuroCity Vorarlberg Direction: Wien Westbahnhof

Wörgl Hbf       arr 18:04 3 
Wörgl Hbf       dep 19:59 1   REX 1517  RegionalExpress Direction: Schwarzach-St.Veit

Zell am See        arr 21:25 1 
Duration: 13:35; runs daily

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or, Swiss (actually, Cirrus on a code share) fly Geneva-Zurich-Salzburg for SFR250-300 one way on most days - train to Zell am See from Salzburg is about 90 minutes, with 1 change...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hels_t,

Some good pointers there altho' I would baulk at going the Bellegarde route personally.........but it does get you to Geneva which would be a good starting point.

Other ways to consider... you might want to exit from the PDA on the Swiss side...but not so sure what it really gains you, but if you get down to the Rhone valley/Martigny, you will be on the Swiss main lines....train through to Brig and then beyond. It might be more scenic but may not be as fast or direct so once you have gotten over the pain of getting to Geneva, that route would be more simplistic.

If you choose to get to Geneva, then use that train timetable as your backup..but if you travel saturday, then get a TO coach to the airport and the Geneva main station is 10 mins down the line. That might give you a chance to get to Geneva pretty early and so a good start to the day's travel.
It will be long a trip and expect it to take all day ..!!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT wrote:
but if you travel saturday, then get a TO coach to the airport and the Geneva main station is 10 mins down the line.

Although almost all trains from Geneva to Zurich stop at GVA en route so you should be able to pick up a train directly from the airport
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, gives me a few options. One of my buddies in Morzine will have a truck and he likes chauffering peeps around so can probably get him to give me a lift within an hour or so. I think I'll dig my map out so I can check out where I can call in on the way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Neither of those places sound like they are in Whistler - are you sickening for something? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, yes, I'm very sick!

I'm swaying and could change my mind. I need at least a few months on the snow. I think I might do a crafty few trips over out winter (Europe and hopefully India or Japan), then am gettoing seriously tempted to go Southern hemisphere.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It might be more scenic

maybe TOO scenic if the Col de Montets is closed....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy