Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet Geneva check in

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying to Geneva tomorrow with Easyjet & flying back on Monday, I've just printed off my boarding pass & noticed that it says check-in in French Sector.

Is this right? I've never checked in in the French Sector before.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, easyjet often use it. Turn right as you get through the doors and you'll see the entrance, it's not super easy to find. Allow an extra 10 mins if you're prone to cutting it fine....

http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/publications_informative/secteur-france-gva.pdf
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
firebug, thanks. I've flown with Easyjet lots of times, but not in or out of the French Sector.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ssnowman, I have never had to use the French sector either with EJ.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eerrm if you've got yoru baording pass you just go straight through to the gate don't you??

So upstairs, through passport control and then onto the gate??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think marcellus must be right. Otherwise, what is the point of checking in early (presumably you don't have carry on luggage?). I've never known it be required to check in in the French sector (though I have checked in there when using French sector car park)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have, a couple of times, both into and out of GVA - but maybe it is possible to check in on the Swiss side for a French side flight? Maybe, now that they have the kiosks. But you'd still have to go through the French controls, surely?

Let us know!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You certainly don't go through French controls going either in or out of the international side of Geneva airport. I don't know how the luggage would work if you arrived into the French sector from a foreign departure point. The times I've had to meet passengers who had to come through the French sector (because of not having the papers required to enter Switzerland) it was a faff getting hold of their luggage. I've flown in from Nice, and you just pick up your bags and walk out, like flying from, say, Glasgow to Southampton. Presumably they do have facilities to clear baggage and passengers through French customs and immigration if you can fly in there on an international flight. It's a funny old place, Geneva airport. And such expensive underwear. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last time went went to/from GVA with EJ our preprinted boarding passes also said French sector, but in practice everything was as usual and we didn't need to go near the French sector.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssnowman, you want the Orange sector, french or swiss both equally (un)cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought the Dutch had cornered the colour Orange.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Derek Jackson, that's exactly what happened. If the boarding pass hadn't said French sector, I wouldn't have known anything was different. We didn't need to check in as we were carrying hand luggage, but the check in for the flight was at the normal Swiss side desks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There used to be a few check in desks at the right hand end (as you look at them) of the row which claimed to be French in some way, I've no idea how. A bit less smug than the Swiss desks, and not quite as surprised that anyone can bring themselves to leave Switzerland, but shut for 2.5 hours over lunch?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssnowman, Something wrong .. I only ever fly to France out of the 'French sector' anywhere else out of the International sector. Worth a phone call ( unless you're flying to France of course!)

pam w, Not quite ( if Im reading you correctly) .... when you leave Nice you take a 'domestic' departure but when you arrive in Geneva ( from any French destination) you go through French immigration ( one bloke looking at the floor) . You then either go through a French exit or enter Switzerland via normal 'Immigration' Clearance' same as UK - folks. You then pick up any checked bags on a special French-flights-only 'conveyor belt' ( so that they can have a special nose at it) and go through Customs like anyone else.

Reverse is go through French/Swiss Immigration and Customs in Geneva and arrive in Nice ( or any other French destination) as a domestic passenger.

All because ????????
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have 2 EJ flights for GVA in Nov and Dec 08. Both have French Sector written on them.
snow conditions
Agenterre, is it perhaps something to do with the fact that (I think) France gave up a bit of land for the airport to be built on, so they get to pretend in some circs that it's a French airport? Does that make any sense?
snow report
richmond, Sorry yes .. it is because part of the airport ( including the Freight sheds ) are technically still in France... and why you can still exit France directly. Not sure about how the actual 'boundaries work .. but incoming flights from France actually arrive at a central 'satellite' and you are bussed to the terminal ( still all together) ... a lot of pfaffing just to maintain the status quo.
latest report
Changes at Geneva are planned as the extension to the main terminal is being built, this may be the reason...
http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-380/
ski holidays
If they'd built a nice big new airport for Basle, they could have it in three countries, which would be great.
latest report
Wife and Kids in France, luggage in Germany and Hire Car in Switzerland Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre wrote:
Not sure about how the actual 'boundaries work ..

The whole of the airport is in Switzerland (France gave up a parcel of land to allow extension of the runway) .... except a strip just wide enough to send a road from the border (at Ferney) under the runway and into the terminal buildings, one corner of the terminal building and the car park.
snow report
dz4d1v wrote:
Wife and Kids in France, luggage in Germany and Hire Car in Switzerland Very Happy

Has potential to be the perfect holiday, depending on where you are. Jackson Hole, perhaps?
latest report
ssnowman wrote:
I'm flying to Geneva tomorrow with Easyjet & flying back on Monday, I've just printed off my boarding pass & noticed that it says check-in in French Sector.

Is this right? I've never checked in in the French Sector before.

No, it's probably an error, it's been happening a lot recently although they don't seem to be able explain why. AFAIK it's only on the boarding cards from online check-in. Ask at the info' desk and they'll confirm.
ski holidays
ssnowman, Be sure to report back on this thread when you get back, thanks. snowHead
ski holidays
In Basle the airport is actually in France on a similar land bridge IIRC.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Boredsurfing, he is back ! rolling eyes

ssnowman wrote:
Derek Jackson, that's exactly what happened. If the boarding pass hadn't said French sector, I wouldn't have known anything was different. We didn't need to check in as we were carrying hand luggage, but the check in for the flight was at the normal Swiss side desks.
snow report
dz4d1v wrote:

Skis in Manchester Sad
snow report
I have just done Easyjet Gatwick to Geneva and return. My boarding passes said French sector. I emailed Easyjet prior to going to query this and they told me I could check in on either the French side or the Swiss side
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Villz wrote:
........they told me I could check in on either the French side or the Swiss side

I have no idea what 'works' are going on in Geneva airport currently but last time I flew 'To France' from Geneva ( June??) this would have been total nonsense ( or bollox if you prefer!) as a reply from them .. once you check in on the 'French side' you are in France .. to get to the Swiss departure gates you have to go back into Switzerland ... what did you do ? ... were there new 'works' going on in the terminal ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Agenterre wrote:
Villz wrote:
........they told me I could check in on either the French side or the Swiss side

I have no idea what 'works' are going on in Geneva airport currently but last time I flew 'To France' from Geneva ( June??) this would have been total nonsense ( or bollox if you prefer!) as a reply from them .. once you check in on the 'French side' you are in France .. to get to the Swiss departure gates you have to go back into Switzerland ... what did you do ? ... were there new 'works' going on in the terminal ?

It's not nonsense, there's a route from the French side check in to international airside. Easyjet are happy for you to check in for an international sector flight from their French side desks if you're returning a French side car, for example.
latest report
brian, Have you done it with baggage?

I know the route 'up the escalator/stairs' but that was 'closed' after one of the last security alerts ( I dont know why) and people were being redirected back into Switzerland ( via Immigration etc) for International flights .. obviously not your experience as you must have done it this year.

I still cant see why Easyjet are suggesting the route for Switz-originating passengers ( even if it is possible again), more security / immigration check points less of their staff / desks / machines , unless something has changed; which is why Id be interested (curiosity) if a UK-bound passenger has done it in the last few months.
snow report
 brian
brian
Agenterre, actually I don't think we did a French side rental last year. So if it's changed I'll slink off (corrected) .... Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy