Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair, GB's no.1 Ski Airline

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else seen adverts to this effect Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
arv,

Really..???? Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, big ad in the Independent yesterday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's top class BS, even by the standards of the nasty little leprechaun that runs them. I could understand if they really advertisedwith a slogan on the lines of: "Fly with us for a crap experience but it will be cheap" but they seem to think they actually offer a service similar to the more established airlines. Yes, I use them, quite frequently too, but only down to cost or the fact they fly to somewhere no-one else does. I mean, how can they justify £16 debit card charges for two flights for two people ? I work in banking and I know they are not getting charged this back from the banking system.

Anyhow, rant over.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw the ad. I presume that they are doing the maths based on they have more flights to destinations within 1000 miles of snow than anyone else rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I work in banking and I know they are not getting charged this back from the banking system.

and it was really costing the banks £35 to bounce a cheque? wink

You said it - they're cheap, even with the credit card surcharge. It doesn't matter a fig how the cost of flying is constituted. They remain cheap, and that is, as you said, why you use them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dsoutar wrote:
That's top class BS, even by the standards of the nasty little leprechaun that runs them.

In what way might it be BS?

Do you know of any other airline that carries more UK skiers?

Quote:

I could understand if they really advertisedwith a slogan on the lines of: "Fly with us for a crap experience but it will be cheap" but they seem to think they actually offer a service similar to the more established airlines.

Do they?

Any indication of that anywhere?

Quote:

Yes, I use them, quite frequently too, but only down to cost or the fact they fly to somewhere no-one else does. I mean, how can they justify £16 debit card charges for two flights for two people ? I work in banking and I know they are not getting charged this back from the banking system.

Anyhow, rant over.

It doesn'tmatter how te charges are made up.

The point is that (like many others) you use them, because the total cost is low.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd argue that Thomsonfly carry more skiers throughout the winter... Thomson, Crystal and the other TUI brands account for 25% of the market, mostly by air, mostly on their own planes. Anyway, it's only an adverising slogan... Carlsberg probably isn't the best lager, Red Bull doesn't give you wings, Tampax doesn't make you a fine horsewoman.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Anyway, it's only an adverising slogan... Red Bull doesn't give you wings, Tampax doesn't make you a fine horsewoman.

......but beer does all this - and more!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Tampax doesn't make you a fine horsewoman.

Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, Ha! He takes cynicism to a new level - love it...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alex_heney, would've thought that easyjet carry more skiers, i know i'd choose them over Ryanair any day (certainly when a holiday and baggage was involved anyway).

gotta love ryanair though for their "in your face" attitude Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ryanair does seem to be trying to discourage skiers. Since the imposition of the £50 charge to take a pair of skis to the mountains I only use them now if their flights are genuinely more convenient than the cheaper alternatives. For example this winter BA would have been cheaper for me to go to Venice, but Ryanair allowed me to leave later in the evening, which gave me the whole last day to ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, How did you get on with the weight limit for Ryanair luggage? By the time you add in all the bits a serious skier like yourself needs to take with him, I would have thought Ryaniar baggae limits made using the airline impractical.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
snowball, How did you get on with the weight limit for Ryanair luggage? By the time you add in all the bits a serious skier like yourself needs to take with him, I would have thought Ryaniar baggae limits made using the airline impractical.
I suppose it depends how serious a skier you are, I use Ryan Air most of the time for my trips as they are the cheaper evil after Aer Lingus - on the weight limit the hand baggage on Ryan Air is quite good so pack the boot bag with as much as you can get in and never let them see it for check in ................. and get 2 pairs of ski's in a single bag and again sneek as much as you can in the ski bag .............. worked everytime so far ...................... never lost a thing and nothing damaged .
snow conditions
fraserpreston, Hmm. I pack boots with the main bag. Add shovel and probe, maybe a helmet, ski clothing, and the weight is ticking up, before i include non-ski stuff. Wouldn't like less than 20 Kg and skis.
ski holidays
I only take one pair of skis (Missions with touring bindings) and put my boots in a double bag with my skis. I try to put any non-threatening heavy items in my rucksack as hand luggage since the hand luggage weight limit is very large (presumably to encourage people to not take hold-baggage). If I decide to take ropes etc at any time in the future I may have to rethink.
ski holidays
dsoutar, He is actually a big Leprechaun!! I like you thought he was about average height, but no he is quite a big bloke!
latest report
I really can't bring myself to use them anymore after one too many rip off experiences with them flying out of Rome this summer... they had the bare faced cheek to charge us for "priority boarding" which basically meant we got on the the bus first... and then were crushed by 300 "non-priority" cattle (oops... I meant customers) and ended up not even getting to sit together as a group on the plane.... I thought I'd give them one more try and had a look at some flights to Salzburg for Feb half term... the robbing potato scoffing B%&Stards wanted to charge me £199.99 PER PERSON... EACH WAY... PLUS TAXES... PLUS SKI CARRIAGE... PLUS CREDIT CARD FEES....AND JUST 15KG OF HOLD LUGGAGE AND A 5 HOUR QUEUE TO CHECK IN WHILE EVERYBODY REPACKS COS "THEY THOUGHT THEY'D GET AWAY WITH IT".... so.... over £500 each return to be treated like a piece of meat by an organisation who doesn't know the first thing about customer care... erm... no thanks... cheaper to fly business class with BA (not that they're usually much better... arrogant t055ers)... I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'm even considering going back to the dreaded package tours for peak weeks which I have to do with the missus cos she's a teacher.... don't have to go to the welcome meeting and drink cheap pomagne I suppose... 'nuff said... rant over... voting with my feet... I will NEVER fly Ryan Air again.... ever... ever....ever...
snow conditions
snowball, interesting, thanks.
snow report
alex_heney, Not quite sure who or how you count 'skiers' , and Im sure Mo'L has his own definition of 'No.1' and 'GB' !!

.. but in terms of gateways and scheduled capacity ( no idea about charter) I believe Ryanair are third 'biggest' amongst UK/Irish airlines .
snow conditions
SnowGod, top rant Very Happy
snow report
Well you can't accuse Mo'L/Ryanair of inconsistency: as they are affected by the economical downturn, they have to "park" 20 aircraft for the winter. This means they have too many pilots for the next few months.
Apparently without any form of consultation, Mo'L and his team decided gardening leave was teh best solution and if pilots don't volunteerm it will be made compulsory and if they don't like it they can lump it... Mo'L reminding them that the demise of other airlines has left many pilots already on the job market...

So employees aren't treated with more respect than customers... Nice man....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/09/29/316563/ryanair-pilots-set-for-some-unpaid-winter-leave.html
latest report
Kruisler, What makes that any different to any other airline or any other business for that matter?

Many other companies wouldnt even offer 'gardening leave' for what, it is hoped, is a temporary abberation. Better off than 'Zoom' and 'XL' staff by far ... Confused
latest report
Must say..I wouldn't mind gardening leave and then my job back in 3-6 months... What is his definition of gardening leave tho..?
snow report
JT, 'One to Three weeks' unpaid leave evenly shared across the whole pilot community. The actual length of time ie 1-3 weeks being based upon the number of volunteers ... continuity of service seniority not to be affected ( what an outdated concept ' service seniority'!!) .

No volunteers and he 'll do it compulsorily .. seems quite fair to me.
ski holidays
Agenterre, ahhh, not the same as mine..which is full pay in order to see out a contract.... oh well.. Laughing
latest report
Agenterre,

I have to admit that I am not familiar with HR practices/policies in the airline industry..
So I don't know whether it is different, but it is the 1st time I hear of such measures being taken without consulting the employees, which is seems to be the case here judging by what is reported by a usually serious source.

I am not even discussing the validity of the solution. It's just the "usual" aggressive attitude... When your boss tells one day "this is what we've decided to do, if you don't like it, tough sh*t, there are plenty more to take your job.." it does not exactly tell you that your employer cares for you..

It may make the share holders happy (which is always the main goal to the detriment of everybody/everything else) and it may be legal...does not make it right though..

See, my current employer pays me a decent wage but also pays for treats and managers do make sure to show appreciation on a regular basis....

My previous employer did not bother..funnily enough I'd be willing to make a lot more effort for my current employer than for my previous one.. everybody wins..

In Mo'L's defense, he has apparently also taken a pay cut...

JT, gardening leave in this case means an unpaid "holiday"....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, To be fair, I think it was Kruisler, who introduced the term 'Gardening Leave' ... what I wrote above is what I believe Mo'L is really offering Confused wink
ski holidays
Kruisler, Fair Enough .. and I garee with your sentiment and personal motivation

Airline Management's Definition of 'Consultation' ......' This is what you're going to do'
'*'ALPA's Definition of Consultation ........................ ' Whatever you want us to do the answer is NO'

Been like that ever since that great 'Left' Wing Airline Union Leader Norman Tebbitt afaics
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
... continuity of service seniority not to be affected ( what an outdated concept ' service seniority'!!) .

Why is that outdated?

Almost all employers I have come across have things like increased leave allowances for people who have been employed longer.

It also, in jobs requiring rostering, usualy gives first choice of roster.
latest report
alex_heney, Aviation 'seniority' is outdated in that it not only gives first choice of roster but routes flown, aircraft type ( subject to type approval obviously) but also seniority in terms of fleet choice and promotion in many( most?) cases ... has nothing to do with 'most able' and 'most suitable' , purely 'time served'.

You'll find crew who change 'type' because its the quickest way to a command .. Deadmen's shoes if you like.

I cant think of another 'profession' or job where 'time served' is more important than ability although there must be some ... judges, junior doctors ?
ski holidays
Agenterre, OK, so what you are saying is that some aspects of seniority of service are wrong within the airline industry specifically. And from what you say, I would agree.

But that is nothing to do with it being "outdated", just wrong.
latest report
Agenterre, Postmen I believe!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy