Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many resorts in 4 days?

Poster: A snowHead
I do an annual trip, I get 3 nights/4 days to get my fill... for those of you who haven't looked i've got a ski website i build as a hobby and would like to get some more photos on there... where could I go to get the most resort visits in during a 3 night/4 day visit and is it practical/possible to stay in a different resort each night? I did Avoriaz last season and got to take in a few of the PDS resorts.... another obvious option to rack up resorts would be the 3 valleys... but any other suggestions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amade in Austria, or Innsbruck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay in Bourg St Maurice and take your pick of Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere (and La Thuile), St Foy, Tignes, Val d'Isere all of which are less than 45 minutes drive, as well as all the Trois Vallees resorts which are no more than 75 minutes away.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

another obvious option to rack up resorts would be the 3 valleys... but any other suggestions?

far too obvious. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. How about Les Contamines, Combloux, Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Areches Beaufort?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're not going to see any of them though !! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com/eng/, postbus/train/taxi for transport between resorts and bob's yer uncle.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Innsbruck.

Has a number of ski areas covered on one large area pass, with buses from central Innsbruck to all of them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here.

Alpe d'Huez, 2Alpes, Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never a fan of cramming in things like this for the sake of it... I'd prefer to get to know somewhere and wouldn't sacrifice my ski days for this reason.

Why don't you ask for 'donated pictures' from snowHead to grace your site. Some of them can take a good pic and you may credit them or something.

As long as it has no commercial angle, you might get a response
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski-finder,
I basically agree with JT,
But if I was trying to see a lot of resorts and ski between them I would like to try the Dolomites. Huge area with many resorts all on one pass some interlinking, some you need transport. Never been but meant to be stunningly beautiful as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[b]ski-finder[?Why don't you advertise on this forum?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
Never a fan of cramming in things like this for the sake of it...

Agreed. Much better to get to know a ski domain well so you can find the hidden gems than it is to tick as many resorts off a list as you can.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd never want to do 4 resorts in a week but it is good to explore new places rather than always return to the same area. Lift passes, as in the Mont Blanc Evasion area, which permit this are a good idea. If I'd never gone somewhere new I'd have spent 20 years in La Rosiere!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A few ideas:
Stay in Innsbruck. Ski Stubai, Axamer Lizum, Kuhtai and one other. All are pretty good, none really require more than a day.

Stay in Chur (fly to Zurich). Ski four of Lenzerheide, Arosa, Laax, Vals, Klosters, Davos, Obersaxen. Some I suppose a day will be enough, others are obviously larger.

Stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (fly to Munich). Ski four of Garmisch Classic, Zugspitze, Lermoos, Mittenwald-Dammkar, Seefeld. All are good for a day.

Doing Innsbruck or Garmisch allows you to use a multiday lift ticket that covers all those areas. That means savings on lift tickets. Innsbruck has free buses. The Garmisch option would require some (cheap) train rides.

For the record, I see nothing at all wrong with what you want to do here. I love checking out small areas. You can find some real hidden gems that might not be appropriate for a full week (or half week) of skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I reckon you shoudl set a target....................5 resorts per day minumum for 5 days and to qualify as doing a resort you must use more than 50% of the available lifts or go to the highest point.....could even be a snowheads challenge :thinkingmode:
snow conditions
Up the Maurienne Valley (thats what I plan to do anyway)
snow conditions
JT wrote:
Never a fan of cramming in things like this for the sake of it... I'd prefer to get to know somewhere and wouldn't sacrifice my ski days for this reason.

I just thought why not? Be a bit different and would only plan on travel between resorts outside ski times... if i used the public transport option i wouldn't even need to miss apres ski Laughing

JT wrote:
Why don't you ask for 'donated pictures' from snowHead to grace your site. Some of them can take a good pic and you may credit them or something.

Always thought it would be too cheeky as we have the snowmediazone for that. Didn't want to be seen "pimping" once i'd decided to stick around! Smile

JT wrote:
As long as it has no commercial angle, you might get a response

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want make some money from the site... but i'd be happy for it pay for itself (hosting, advertising) and maybe one day the lovely snow data Smile

I know what i'm planning isn't for everyone, and i respect that... just wondered what my options were if I did... I think there would be something personally satisfying to visit say 4 resorts in four days... i'm guessing in the Ski Amade it could all be done on one ski pass too?
latest report
marcellus, 25 resorts in 5 days????
latest report
skid & slide wrote:
[b]ski-finder[?Why don't you advertise on this forum?

when my site has an advertising budget i might just do that... Laughing
snow conditions
ski-finder wrote:
marcellus, 25 resorts in 5 days????

Why not??

Got to set yourself a challenge.......

Thinking;
> day 1 - PDS - must be able to ski Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Get, Chatel, champery etc etc in a day (I've done it in the summer on a mountain bike so why not in the winter on skis)
> day 2 - Grand Massif - Sameons, Morrillon, Les Carroz, Flaine
> day 3 - Chamonix - les Houches (if it's open and however it's pronounced), Sevros, Les Praz, Argentiere, Le Tour
> day 4 - St Gervais, Megeve, Les Contamines, Hautleuce

so that's 18 resorts in 4 days...must be better areas to go for the record and doable!!
latest report
marcellus, because i thought 4 in 4 days was a little bit mental lol, that would be 6ish hours skiing in each resort... it's not for a challenge, just to experience a bit more in one trip... but 18 resorts in 4 days might be limiting the skiing a little too much for me!

Anyone attempted anything similar?
snow conditions
ski-finder, I've not done it but thought about it and might get a group together this season to try!!

You've got to have these ideas of challenges!!

I once thought taking a trip from London to Paris and back in less than 12 hours with 50 cars would be tough.......................................as it was 150 joined me....now that was mental!!
ski holidays
I did a different resort each day for 8 days on a road-trip in Canada. Rode all day each day then drove for a few hours to the next one, dinner, crash out, ride the mountain. Covered over 2000 milles, had some rubbish driving conditions and a completely unsuitable car, was absolutely exhausted afterwards but had an awesome time.
latest report
hels_t wrote:
I did a different resort each day for 8 days on a road-trip in Canada. Rode all day each day then drove for a few hours to the next one, dinner, crash out, ride the mountain. Covered over 2000 milles, had some rubbish driving conditions and a completely unsuitable car, was absolutely exhausted afterwards but had an awesome time.

If you drive from to the Alps you'll cover 2000 albeit motorway miles getting there and back. But most people will do no more than a trip to the Super U whilst they are there.
snow report
Kel wrote:

If you drive from to the Alps you'll cover 2000 albeit motorway miles getting there and back.

which route??

Via Monaco???
latest report
We always seem to do that sort of mileage by the time we've got down there and swanned around for a few weeks. It's amazing how it mounts up.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
Kel wrote:

If you drive from to the Alps you'll cover 2000 albeit motorway miles getting there and back.

which route??

Via Monaco???

Excuse my grammar why I put "from to" I don't know. But if you drive from my house in the North West of England to Tignes it is 944 miles one way, I know I've done it, if I went via Monaco it would be 1361 Miles or 2722 miles round trip Puzzled
ski holidays
ah ok, that explains it......I forgot some might have a 400mile drive in the UK...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salzburger Superpass - fly to salzburg - hire a car and enjoy more resorts than you could possibly visit in 4 days

http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_2200-km-of-slopes_129446/direktlink.html
latest report
waynos, that looks awesome... would envisage flying over then hiring a car? Will I have accomm choices in those resorts, or will I struggle for single night stops?
snow conditions
waynos wrote:
Salzburger Superpass - fly to salzburg - hire a car and enjoy more resorts than you could possibly visit in 4 days

http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_2200-km-of-slopes_129446/direktlink.html

497 Euro's for a season pass, that's cheaper than the green fees at most golf clubs Confused
snow conditions
ski-finder, I doubt you'd have much trouble finding accomm for single nights as short stays are quite common in the area. The road network is very good with major roads in the valleys staying pretty clear during bad weather. You could opt just for the ski amade pass, possible itinerary includes a night at schladming, flachau, gastein and maria alm. That would cover all the major areas of ski amade with no more than 40 mins drive between each area.
snow conditions
waynos, sounds perfect actually for what I had in mind. Do you think it would be hotel accomm that would be most suitable for this?
ski holidays
Can't get the Salzburger Superpass out of my head. Anyone who has 2 seperate weeks away in one of the major Alpine resorts will pay as much as that for there lift passes.

If you are lucky enough to live in this area you can ski all these destinations every weekend all season and still have you're 2 weeks as well. Property isn't expensive either (relatively speaking)

I have never skied this region and have already got 2009 sorted, but I think a 2 week trip stopping at those little hotels would be great for 2010
ski holidays
ski-finder, Hotels or guesthouses / b&bs, depends on budget I guess. I'm sure most resort websites have list of accommodation, just email a bunch now to get an idea on cost and availability. For schladming area try http://www.schladming-appartements.at/ I used them before we got our own apartment there. If you PM me I can provide contact details for a few b&bs in the area run by people I know.

Kel, The price of the salzburg super pass is very impressive, I think I worked out if you buy 12days or more ski passes you may as well get a season pass.
latest report
waynos,

It's not just the price of the pass, it is the massive variety of resorts that are available. If you lived there you could ski every resort in the season.

My son spends more than this going to Chill factore alone over 12 months

A couple of years ago I was contemplating buying a place in France, but it was way more than what I could possibly afford (pre credit crunch !!) , seeing this has re-ignited the seed in the back of my mind. Suppose I should visit first.

People I know keep telling me "Have you not been to Austria"
latest report
Kel, I purchased in the area last year, very happy so far. I've previously spent a lot of time in france, val d'isere in particular. Did think of buying there but prices out of my reach. The property market in Austria is pretty stable and not influenced by masses of brits so hopefully a little insulated from credit crunch times.
snow conditions
Kel, I went out to Radstadt last season for a few days with my family and a few snowHead

We stayed with a snowhead, Flangesax, who runs a guest house http://www.austrian-adventures.com/ Great value and very helpful.
Despite only stopping for 3 nights and despite spending a day and a half on Radstadt's delightful but small area we also skied: Altenmarkt (part of the same hill), Zauchensee, Flachauwinkl, Kleinarl, Flachau, Wagrain. IMHO Zauchensee was the pick with some challenging skiing available.

We had the most excellent time and are in the process of planning a return trip. Big beer on the hill €2.50-3.00 Shocked Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy