Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways to charge for carriage of sporting goods

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/3079855/British-Airways-to-charge-extra-for-carrying-sporting-goods.html

BA were not a bad option if you fly midweek. Far better than the budget carriers in many instances.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only a matter of time after they banned surf boards IMO.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its their business but seems like suicide to do away with one of the key competitive advantages (assuming you don't don't count the free bag of gravel onboard) they have over the locos for the ski market having proudly trumpeted in their advertsing for so long.

My personal experiences in short haul in the past year or so have come out heavily in favour of easyjet over ba in terms of cancellations and delays particularly as thiefrow is no more convenient for where I work and live than any other London airport. Can't see this driving more of my leisure spend to them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
well it hasn't happened yet, but if it does i see me using city airport for Swiss all the more Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno wrote:
well it hasn't happened yet, but if it does i see me using city airport for Swiss all the more Evil or Very Mad
Me 2.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swiss was another reason I liked Kuoni.

National carriers seemed to meet the challenge of budget carriers in many instances.

For example, Aer Lingus was competitive with Ryanair - but handier for a lot of Irish destinations until they got into difficulties.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the charges for taking own equipment will continue to rise as well by the looks of things, because it's a bit of extra money here and there without actually increasing the fares, although it seems like everyone's fares are likely to rise too in the next few months, what does everyone else think? Also do you think more people will take the train to the Alps as the Ski Club person in the article above briefly mentions?

I might give it a try sometime next season, the latest flight (to Geneva) and transfer costing (by alpskibus) I got for a potential DIY trip (obviously depends on whether it's high season etc I know) came out to be about £250 ish quid so in that instance it would be cheaper to go by train by a smidgen. I'd have to get down to St Pancras and back which is probably another £50 return but then I guess you can take as much luggage as you want, and once you're on the train that's it (assuming a direct train that is with no change in Paris).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Hurtle, but that's a good thing right - why the angry face? I defy anyone who has flown from City to ever willingly choose another LDN airport, and the Swiss schedule is better for ski breaks than BA's

Sod BA, let them enter the gutter if they choose to. Walsh is a follower.... BA survive only on their roster which itself survives from the days of nationalisation
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hang on a minute, further to my post above does the Snow Train run by Rail Europe still stop in Paris? I'm confused. Is the only direct train the Eurostar direct ski train? Why wouldn't everyone go for that option instead of changing train in Paris? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, cos it costs 100€ more I think is the answer... you have so may trips planned you could get a season ticket though...

P.s. just booked L2A at New Year - and i HATE L2A... I need help
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27, I agree (re LDN City) - going to Tignes tomorrow on Swiss for the boot camp, and again in December.

VolklAttivaS5, If you get the train you might well be able to take more luggage, but how do you carry it all Puzzled I can only just manage skis, boots and a bag
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27, well, no because the trips I have planned are booked with flights. Season ticket indeed.

That was a bit dumb booking L2A if you don't even like it there. You must be on 4 trips booked now so mine aren't that many really.

Quote:

cos it costs 100€ more I think is the answer

Not from the 2 quotes I got, one for Snow Train which appears to stop in Paris but whether that is to change trains or not, I don't know. The Eurostar direct price is the same price as Snow Train is. Perhaps the Eurostar to Paris and then a ski train to resort is a cheaper option then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
barstewards - just e mailed them to say goodbye...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, true but what I mean is it won't matter if your bag is over 20 kg say and if you've got 2 pairs of skis in your ski bag (I say this because I was just looking into doing my BASI L2 and I thought I'd like to take both my piste skis and off piste skis that fortnight so the train sprang to mind), things like that.

I don't mean take more than 1 main bag, ski bag and boot bag. I have carried all that ok, hand luggage/rucksack on back, roller bag as main bag wheeling with one hand, boot bag diagonally over shoulder so it doesn't fall off and ski bag in other hand. Laughing Many a time have I been at an airport carrying all that lot, but I couldn't walk miles and miles carrying it mind. That's if I take a boot bag, usually I've put them in the boot compartment in my main bag.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, Ok, that I understand.
snow conditions
red 27, it's good to have the choice and it's easier to get from my office to LHR with ski kit than it is to get to LCY
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, it's a while since I did it, but I changed in Paris to get a sleeper. Sitting up all night is OK if you're saving a fortune going on a coach. But to sit up all night to spend a lot of money on a train?

I don't see what the thing is about luggage, really, for a week's skiing. If you only have 1 pair of skis everything you need will go in a decent size ski bag and a boot bag, plus a small backpack. Why lug more?

Of course BA are going to charge for "sporting equipment" though it's illogical to use a different tariff for different items. Passengers should just be charged per kilo for whatever they want to take, be it skis, clothes, or anything else. It's only a matter of time. If we hadn't become so used to the idea that a 17 stone man with a damn big bag is charged the same as a skinny 4 year old with a Barbie knapsack it wouldn't seem so odd.
snow report
pam w, no it wasn't for a week this time, normally I'd fly everytime for 1 week or 2 weeks and have no probs keeping to under the luggage allowance for either (or drive if I get on ok with that in Dec but that's only because it's for 3 weeks not 1 week-oh and fancied driving to give it a try Very Happy ) but for my BASI L2 course it's for 2 weeks as I said to holidayloverxx above, and I thought I'd have a look at train since it worked out same price as the flight and transfer DIY. Normally the train works out far more expensive than flying for me so I wouldn't normally bother with it and just fly, but then the train means I could take both my piste and off piste skis no problem for the course because I might need both potentially. I'm not bothering now anyway-it's worked out too expensive for everything. I will choose another resort to do it in later in the season and just fly out. Summer flights to Salzburg, Munich or Innsbruck are far more sensibly priced.
ski holidays
With lots of stuff it's nice to have a car, and gives you a chance to get about and see other places, en route and when you're there. Maybe you could find someone to share a lift, and contribute to petrol? Friends who come down to the Alps from Belgium use a sort of "lift share" website, but I don't know anything about it.
snow report
pam w, yes, I'm taking enough clothes for 3 weeks this time because I can! At least no launderette bills then or washing thermals in sink blah blah. Will be nice that.

I don't mind the extra cost this time (quite lot more than flying what with fuel, tolls, etc) as it's a one off and a bit of a novelty this time, and my car's only small so it will be a bit of a squeeze with the board, 2 pairs of skis, bag etc etc. For the first time I drive down there I'd rather do it by myself so I can concentrate and not speak to someone else in the car.

Flying again after that though, unless I'm going for all season or more than 2 weeks I reckon.
snow report
red 27,
Quote:

but that's a good thing right

Yes.
ski holidays
Fly Niki / Air Berlin has imposed a EUR25 charge for skis, commencing Nov 2008.
latest report
One 80ltr trolley bag, inc boots, and skis over the shoulder. You don't want to be struggling with anymore than that on a train.

The snow train runs once a week and will bypass Paris...I am sure...all other connects go via Paris, unless you go to Lille which picks up the Brussels and Dutch trains, so mostly you will still have a change of train...and will probably have to hoon across town to change stations. This is no fun if you have to be quick between stations to make your connections.
ski holidays
If you go by train to Bourg St Maurice it is only a relatively short transfer to La Rosiere, I can reccomend
www.mountainheaven.co.uk

'Our stunning Penthouse in La Rosiere'
latest report
Quote:

will probably have to hoon across town to change stations.

yes, I had to do that, and kill a few hours (last minute DIY booking) but went to tea with the British Ambassador. The sleeper was comfortable and quiet (not one of those tour operator booze fests) but you wouldn't want to have a lot of luggage in there.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Laughing Laughing your pimping is going well today! Hope it's not counter-productive wink
snow report
cathy, I'm sure it will achieve the desired result wink
This one was a bit pro-active but does highlight the genre!
I shall only follow you know who's posts in future Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing,

I can see you are spoliing your guests..."Duvets with matching plain bed linen"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, Laughing Laughing
latest report
More reason to go by train.
ski holidays
also more reason to re-consider the advantages of owning your own skis.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
also more reason to re-consider the advantages of owning your own skis.

Own skis v hire shop crap is a no brainer if you care about your skiing. Quality skis are usually in the demo fleet and don't come cheap so even at £50 return vs euro30 a day hire charge you are ahead provided you don't change your skis that often.

More reason to look at long term storage though - anyone want to invest in a consortium to buy a garage near GVA airport etc?
snow report
fatbob, i always thought that a service which would pick your skis up from you when you finish skiing, service them, then deposit them wherever you will be next time would be great. never worked out how to do this in practice though
snow report
fatbob wrote:
More reason to look at long term storage though - anyone want to invest in a consortium to buy a garage near GVA airport etc?

LOL, not much use if you happen to be going anywhere further east like Austria for example or way out west to North America either Toofy Grin

Actually also problematic having your kit in Geneva if heading to Scotland where, believe me, you do not want to use hire gear! Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
cathy, I'm sure it will achieve the desired result wink
This one was a bit pro-active but does highlight the genre!
I shall only follow you know who's posts in future Laughing

Cathy must be working the other thread I pimped in seems to have had the chainsaw treatment Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes..I have always wanted to travel light and paid for premium hire skis... however, this Premium/VIP ski angle has been somewhat eroded in some places I have been to recently. So, my view now is that your choices of skis is limited and the quality questionable. In fact, the only place I have been to in recent seasons that put out very decent kit time and time again has been the Stockli test centre in Engleberg and the price was very good as well..cheaper than normal hire, ISTR..and the purpose of this loss-leader type service would have been to promote the brand.

So, that was reason one that I bought skis. Reason 2 was choice..it was becoming increasing difficult to get what I wanted...ie, ski and binding config,
Reason 3..every hol-start was a learning curve on new skis, and Reason 4 was that most of all this hassle was such that it just did not make sense not to have your own skis, own tune, own kit to go with it etc etc

When you pay 100eu plus a week...get some questionable kit ..if you can find what you want..and then times that by the numbe of times you go skiing per season... well,.....????????????????????????????????????

I used to put up with quote a bit to travel light but it just isn't worth it anymore, IMV
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
..... Passengers should just be charged per kilo for whatever they want to take, be it skis, clothes, or anything else. ..........

Skis are an awkward shape for efficient use of hold space - and need special handling. So they cost more per kilo to handle than ordinary baggage.
snow report
roga wrote:
fatbob wrote:

LOL, not much use if you happen to be going anywhere further east like Austria for example or way out west to North America either Toofy Grin

Actually also problematic having your kit in Geneva if heading to Scotland where, believe me, you do not want to use hire gear! Shocked Laughing

Just decide where you're going most frequently (and surely you have a different pair in your quiver for Western NA/Jockosnowfenceheathertussockwindburnland anyway wink)
snow report
achilles, I will take that seriously when they start charging passengers by passenger weight. I don't believe £25 is the marginal cost of carrying skis for one second.
latest report
stoatsbrother, I don't suppose that marginal costing came into it. The marginal cost of the nth 1st Class passenger on a half empty flight to Chicago is not great either, but you wouldn't expect to be charged the marginal cost, would you? Indeed, if people who fly to ski destinations are very wedded to taking their own skis then the inelastic demand would suggest that shoving up the cost of ski carriage makes good business sense.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy