Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Met Office winter prediction- released today 25th Sept

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Met Office's latest weather prediction for upcoming winter released today- 25th September 2008.

Predictably vague, though temperatures and rainfall "likely" to be lower than last winter. Neutral tropical Pacific and near-neutral NAO are invoked as reasons for forecast.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't wait for the start of the "weather outlook" thread. i think i trust brian and carleds predictions more than the met Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

i think i trust brian and carleds predictions more than the met Very Happy

I suspect that brian and carled could explain better than I could why you would be wrong!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
so... last winter was warmer and wetter than average. the met office tells us that this winter is likely to be cooler and dryer than last year (ie closer to the average.) how much do we pay these people Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They can't actually go wrong with such a vague forecast can they!!

So it'll maybe warmer than normal, or colder than last year!

Quote:
Winter temperatures are more likely to be above normal over much of the European region. However, this winter is likely to be less mild than last winter, when above-average temperatures were widespread.

and maybe not as wet as last year, but maybe wetter than normal!

Quote:
For much of northern Europe, including the UK, rainfall is likely to be lower than observed in last year's relatively wet winter. However, this signal is not sufficient to indicate whether winter precipitation totals are more likely to be above or below the 1971-2000 average.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

how much do we pay these people

It doesn't matter how much we pay them, they're scientists, not soothsayers and that, folk, is the way weather works. Evil or Very Mad They would probably prefer not to have to publish such long range forecasts or that, if they do, the people who read them would take the trouble to find out what a long range forecast is, and why they are necessarily vague. There's plenty of information on their website. Of course you could always just put a question on Snowheads. "Will there be snow at Christmas in my chosen cosy picturesque resort" You'll get plenty of much less vague answers then and you can choose the one you like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Beeb's take on it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7635513.stm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, the point is that someone has to waste their time putting that useless info up and that costs money. i am quite happy with the fact that weather is difficult to predict
snow report
 brian
brian
LRFs are a complete mug's game.

eg.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2007/pr20070411.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it's going to snow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there will be weather this winter. it will snow somewhere
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am not bothering with forecasts this winter, I will just look out of the window in the morning as usual and see what the day brings. I never check the forecast in the summer. However, when I get that powder alert, and the webcams start up, I may change my mind.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will certainly be bothering with forecasts, but not for months ahead, which is just pointless. I find the weather is so changeable that even looking out of the window in the morning is not necessarily a guide guide as to what will happen, especially overnight. Looking at a surface pressure chart, however, gives a good "feel" for the likely evolution of events, if not their speed. I also find that friends and relations who visit our apartment expect (and usually get!) a reasonably accurate forecast for what their week holds in store. When I tell them, and they still ignore it, and still don't get snowchains organised, and miss their flight and have to spend an extra night in Geneva at vast expense, tough!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, sorry, I did mean long term ones, not immediate ones.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It will be dry till it starts to rain, sunny until it gets cloudy and wet until the rain stops rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy