Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sierra nevada at xmas

Poster: A snowHead
Am possibly in the Granada area xmas time & thinking that I might be able to squeeze in a day or two skiing if it's available . I've not yet found a snow history for the area, so has anyone any idea of whether there's a reasonable chance of there being skiable snow at that time of year ? Am also interested in any do's/don'ts/not to be missed suggestions from any that do know the area.

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/historical/report.asp will show you last year's depths. I'm sure somebody with scgb membership will be along in a minute to give you a 15 year average Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
88cm higher/20cm lower, and generally has at least 50cm from the beginning of December onwards, with a season peak of about 170cm at the start of March... Top cover varies from 20cm to 200cm around Christmas, and bottom from zero to 50cm, so it looks highly possible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickH, They have an awful lot of snow cannons at SN and they wer'nt afraid to use them when we were there last march so I think you'll have a pretty good chance of skiing even if there is a lack of natural snowfall. here is a trip report I submitted to another forum its a bit of an epic almost war and peace, Embarassed but it will give you a flavour of the place http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6824
regards
Mark
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nickH, They have lots of snow making guns. I was there early Feb 2 years ago and on the first day there was only really the runs with snow making on open- It kept me happy still- It snowed 30cm overnight and all most all the runs were open the next day. It can be windy though as it's exposed (no trees up that high) photo of guns working Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all

paulio, ousekjarr, thanks for the ski depth info, pretty reassuring so now thinking pretty seriously about it !

Rookiemark
, really good & helpful posting, the info on accessing the slopes from grenada, & on the costs, really useful & has saved me a lot of browsing elsewhere.Sounds as though it'll be a great place to spend a few days, & it wouldn't be too much of a struggle resorting to the taps bars if there turns out to be no snow !!

II, good news that they're well equipped with cannon, though like every other snowhead I'll be keeping everything crossed for a record early start to the season !!

thanks again
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nickH, a comment from my pops:

Quote:
The major advantage if you have a mixed group of skiers and non skiers is that you can stay in the wonderful city of Granada and visit the sights while those who want to ski can take the 45 minute trip from the bus station (Line 714) at 8.00 am or 10.00 am, returning at 4.00 or 6.00 pm. You can even day hire all the kit from the cabin at the bus station to save time when you get to the resort! Fare in 2006 was a mere €4.20 each way.

In case that helps!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski-finder, thank your pops for the info - will be with a non skier so probably will stay in the city. I'm now getting really interested - just pray for early snow !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having spent a year in Granada you should definitely make sure you spend at least a couple of days in the city if you can. The tapas bars are one of the few areas in spain where the tapas are free. Order your drinks and wait for the tapas to come, then order another drink and you'll get something different to try! You should try to get to the Al Hambra palace in Granada but book your tickets in advance through their website as the queues can be hours long. Anyway as this is a ski site, my experience of the skiing in the Sierra Nevada was very limited due to the drought that occurred that year so can't really comment other than to say it gets lots of sun so I would agree that you have to go prepared to ski on snow cannon runs. Beautiful place though so any skiing will be a bonus.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cookie, I'll certainly not be going with any expectations on the ski front & hope to have a good chance to look around as, all going well, I should have four or five days there. The free tapas sounds very interesting - I rather like the idea of having to drink for ones food ! think I might start practising now
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickH, Agree with cookie, my mother now lives in Granada and we have had varied success with skiing but Granada has much to offer. Last year they were lacking in snow and temperatures were on the high side if I remember so tho there was skiing just after New Year they only issued a relatively small number of passes which sold out early and could only be bought in resort either late pm the day before or first thing in the morning- so you had to gamble on taking the bus up early and no certainty of a pass or going up the day before .....And we lost either one or two days due to high winds which over the periods we were in Grananda (1 Jan - 6 Jan and 11-14 April). They do post closures on the web as early each day as poss so well worth having internet access from 7.30am onwards if poss. It is possible to book passes for 3 days or more then you have more certainty.

The bus service we found great - allow enough time to buy a ticket and the bus station is a few km out of town (we got a taxi to it to save time which cost about 7 euro - not much less than the bus ticket cost I think!) but the buses have numbered seats and they seem to put on as many buses as necessary - there were 3 or 4 going up at 10am in April
April snow was more extensive than January (tho still limited) but may of course be very different this year. I have posted some pics in the snowzone if I remember correctly. Having said that I'm trying to find the best option to be there between Christmas and New Year and will hope to ski if they have enough snow and a reasonable amount open Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
been there a few times Laughing but only once around xmas time, the snow was fine but it was a few years ago, went last season in Jan there was limited cover but enough for a few days, it was icey in the morning and in the later afternoon it started to get slushy, when you go where are you stopping ? I stop in a hotel opposite the Alhambra palace its about 20 min walk into Granada and about 30 mins drive to the village, after skiing you can have a few beers sat on the terrace looking down the mountains with great views to be had. If you want will dig out the name of the hotel and pm you with directions form airport and to the village.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Late starter, Though not able to confirm anything for the next week or so the current plan is to be in Granada for 5 to 6 days over xmas itself. It does sound as though the chances of snow are rather slim, so I think it'll be a case of throwing minimal ski kit in the bag last minute if there's any likelyhood of some white stuff. Sounds as though there's plenty to entertain me if there isn't ! Let me know if you do end up heading there - it might have to be a slopeside beer !

jase2472, would be great if you could dig out the hotel name. I've been looking on the net & there does seem to a good choice of places over Xmas, but personal recommendations always welcome
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, I stayed here: http://www.hotelclub.net/hotel.reservations/Alhamar_Hotel_Granada.htm
booked it with travel republic. I would definatly recomend it.... Typical 4* hotel with no problems at all and helpfull staff. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nickH, the hotel is called Hotel Alixares, it easy to get to from Granada airport or the road in from malaga,its just off the mountain road as you enter granada and you can walk 20 mins in town walking past the Alhambra palace
latest report
jase2472, thanks for that, I'll look into it
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy