Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"We will train an Olympic downhill champion": China's top skiing official

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Report filed by DavidS 21 December:
China's top skiing official has declared his life's ambition - for the country to secure a downhill gold medal at the Winter Olympics. Shan Zhaojian, General Secretary of the Chinese Ski Association is overseeing the development of ski resorts and racing for a nation which is destined to become the world's dominant economic power.

"We will teach as many of the masses to ski as possible," he says "From the masses we will pick the future stars"...

"We will have a strong national team. We will train. And then the champion of the Olympic downhill race will be Chinese. It is the dream of my entire life."

Shan Zhaojian was talking to Michael Finkel of the US magazine Skiing. Finkel writes:

"In a manner that struck me as typically Chinese, the country had decided to start out not with a series of modest local hills that would foster a native ski culture, but with a sprawling "firstly-selected skiing and vacationing resort" (this from the brochure), and thus to leapfrog the usual ski-nation progression. This not only depleted the national ski budget but, in combination with a Chinese predilection to ignore all foreign advice, also resulted in a place with an ill-thought-out lift system, with trails cut counter to the fall line, in a province that often receives very little snow. Now, in an attempt to amend Yabuli's most pressing problem, the government was spending its remaining ski-allocated funds to manufacture powerful, jet-engine-type snow guns."

For access to this great article, click here.

Photo: The Fifth China Heilongjiang International Skiing Festival / Visit China 2004
-------------------------------------------------------------------
marc gledhill writes:
DavidS, very good link. If you've got a few minutes you must read that article snowHead
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit: due to a coding error, the above report (which should have been filed under DavidS's original credit) is re-formatted.]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellant article. I wander if ther were any pics?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really good article. It made me wish I could have been there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy