Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short trip in February

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to arrange a ski trip during February half-term (I know it's not the best time but as teachers we're stuck with it). Problem is, one of my mates is getting married on the 1st Sunday - so we can't go until Monday. I was thinking of looking at a Swiss/Italien?Austrian resorts as they may be quieter (I don't think those countries have half-terms when we do). Specific resorts I've looked at are Cortina, Davos, Films-Laxx, Schladming, Maria Alm. Anyone got any ideas whether or not these resorts would be very crowded at this time of year? Or got any better suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Half term week is busy over the whole of the Alps, even though the local holiday periods will vary. Cortina and Davos, being the bigger of the 5 you pointed out, will probably be the busiest. Schladming wont be quiet either. Flims/Laax and Maria Alm are probably gonna be the least busy, but having never been to either i cant say for certain!

Resort choice all depends on your abilities really, beginners will be fine at a much smaller resort obviously which be far less busy. Advanced skiers will want more terrain, thus bigger resort, thus busier! Good luck in choosing Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnseymour, my daughter and SIL, both teachers, are coming out at Christmas and, if they're feeling rich enough, will come again at Easter (we have an apartment and so their costs are kept low). Half term can be avoided! It's my daughter's first proper year teaching, last year she was doing a PGCE, and she reckons she's going to need half term in February to (a) be ill for a few days and then (b) catch up with sleep and (c) do some lesson preparation.

Easter could be a better bet. Far quieter, great weather if you're lucky, still plenty of snow about. and you could do a full week!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
...Easter could be a better bet...

I would agree with that.

Alternatively again, this academic year isn't it possible to get a full week in over New Year?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll be interesting to see what Easter is like this year, as for the 1st time in quite a while, all the schools have holy week as their 1st week of the hols, so it isn't staggered like usual. I suspect it will be quieter than Feb though!

johnseymour, your main issue will be what to do over accomodation. You may find it hard to get a place from the Monday, so may end up paying for a full week anyway. Flights should be cheaper on the Monday, so you'll probably win there.

Austrian resorts will probably be busy with UK, Dutch and Scandinavian schools, but my experience is that if you can avoid a few key pinchpoints at certain times, then you should be okay - as long as you don't want to ski blues all day!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All

Easter's very late this year - April 12th... while conditions may be fine then only a brave man would commit to that more than a couple of weeks in advance.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
All

Easter's very late this year - April 12th... while conditions may be fine then only a brave man would commit to that more than a couple of weeks in advance.

Oops! That's me stuffed then wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, Not so - anywhere with summer skiing will be fine! Mid April really isn't all that late either as far as many of the resorts are concerned. After the end of April is another matter though! Most are closed! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Isn't a full week at New Year always possible? Our kids have never returned to School at New Year other than on a Monday (or occasionally on a Tuesday)?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27 wrote:
All

I remember committing to a week in Mayrhofen around that date, 06/07 season, a couple of months in advance Smile

It was absolutely fine, except for the fact that they shut the resort whilst we were there (we went midweek to midweek and the intervening weekend was the season end - OOPS!) and we had to keep getting the bus to Hintertux instead.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the intervening weekend was the season end

yes, the lower resorts will be shutting from mid April - need to check that. But there are plenty of places which shut later in the month - L2A, Val Thorens, Tignes and other high places there should be masses of skiing. Our apartment is at 1550 and we have been able to ski out till mid April for the last six seasons. Snow at that stage of the year is a lot more reliable than it is at Christmas/New Year, and the weather incomparably nicer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies. Forgot to mention - already booked for a week over new year Laughing (like to spend Christmas with the folks) and am going at Easter Laughing (although we are taking a party of 42 kids Evil or Very Mad ! Bearing that in mind - am I being greedy trying to get a few days at half term as well? Might actually go back to Scotland if the snow is good. Here's hoping. Thanks again for all your advice - now bring on the snow!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnseymour wrote:
am going at Easter Laughing (although we are taking a party of 42 kids Evil or Very Mad !

Sucker!! Laughing

Where are you taking them?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Oops! That's me stuffed then wink

What a lovely image Betty... Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Sucker!!

Where are you taking them?

Schladming. Never been there before. We went to a great place last year called Mautendorf and were able to ski at another resort called Fanningberg. Snow was great (fresh powder everyday), runs were quiet and we left the kiddy winkles with the instructors for a couple of hours to do a bit of off piste Laughing We've also taken parties to Kitzbuhl, Saalbach and Radstadt. It's great for me - I usually go to the larger French reorts (and have also been to the Sella Ronda) as we like to cover a lot of milage - so it's nice to see some smaller resorts for free (the only cost being you have responsibilty for the kids morning, lunchtime and evening!).
snow conditions
Quote:

the only cost being you have responsibilty for the kids morning, lunchtime and evening!

sounds like you earn your free hours. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy