Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

custom insoles, first boots, "burning balls"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have skiied for 3 or 4 weeks weeks now and after getting severe pain burning and pins and needles in my 2nd and 3rd toes last year in (oversized) hire boots - i think this was "burning balls syndrome?" I have decided to buy my first boots.
I am looking at the womens salomon divine RS8, after having tried on a few pairs and speaking to 2 boot fitters who both ended up recommending exactly the same boot. I would say I am advanced-intermediate skiier, I enjoy carving on blue and red runs, rather than doing black runs in an un-stylish fashion!
They seem to be comfy-ish walking around the shop (apart from feeling a bit short but I am told this will get better once they are broken in and I shouldn't go up a size - shell size seemed fine) but I can't say about toe pain until I start skiing on them.

My main decision at present is what type of foot bed to go for, off the shelf or cusom made.
My ankles pronate a bit and the instep flattens, when I tried the boots on with some off the shelf ones the boots were immediately much comfier. I noticed these had a wedge under the ball of the foot, presumably a metatarsal arch support, which I have read can help prevent "burning balls".
If I get custom made insoles, which I have been told are better as they support the exact shape of the foot, then will they not have this metatarsal arch support if my foot doesn't naturally have much of one? If not can one be added??
Does this make sense? I am confused how custom insoles are better as they can't support what is not there, if my arch flattens as soon as I step on it.

I am hoping this pain I had last year won't come back once I am in properly fitted boots ( I didn't have it 10 years ago when I last skiied) but want to do everything possible to prevent it re-occuring. It was such severe pain, and took hours to get better once I took my boots off.

Most grateful for any advice you can offer me

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blueberry, hello. I would strongly recommend going to a first class bootfitter, who will advise you on the boot, footbed and so on, rather than S&R or the like. No doubt one will be along in a minute. If you're in London, Profeet in King's Rd are pretty good. Better still (in my view) go to a top class fitter in your next resort, so that you can ski in them and get them tweaked while you're there. Again, someone will be along to name a few likely places. I have experience of Profeet, who have done a first class job, but it took (I think) three visits, well spaced apart, because I had to go skiing to find out that the fit wasn't perfect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if it's the balls of your feet burning, it is quite likely that your calves aren't flexible enough - i suffer from this quite badly sometimes. so get stretching

other than that, what richmond said
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This happens to me too if i take PI$$ after cutting up Chillis,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies

I have been to the EB shop at Tamworth snowdome. I don't know how people rate this one? I like the fact I can ski in the boots for a couple of hours then pop into the shop as needed. The advice they have given does seem to be compatable with everything I have read in getting boots fitted well. I haven't got about to asking about the insoles yet, that's the next trip.... As I said I haven't actually got the boots and tried skiing in them yet, so far all I have ever skied in is mens rental boots.

I'm sure it's not lack of ankle flexion though as I am generally quite hyper-flexible and I can do quite a deep squat without my heels coming up off the floor at all.

We are at Tamworth quite a bit at present (like almost every weekend!) as we are teaching the kids to ski so we can all be off once we get to the alps. I want to try and get all the footwear / boot problems sorted out in adance, and gets my boots bedded in here, so I don't spend half my holiday in the bootfitters, but can enjoy the skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're in the Midlands then in my view it has to be either Lockwoods in Leamington Spa or Solutions4Feet in Bicester. Our family has had pretty good service from Lockwoods, but I have difficult feet and more recently I have been to Solutions for Feet with some success.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blueberry, Go and see Colin, he'll nip it un the bud, bud.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin at Solutions4Feet in Bicester should be able to do a first class job for you Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I get burning soles and numb toes which came on after 3 days hill walking - various advice so far is instep support and my osteopath also said that the tendons in the top of my feet were very prominent and tight and he advised stretching these by bending my toes down and supportive footwear. If your toes are squashed together this can excaserbate the problem. I find that even a tight pair of socks can set of the numbness burning. The docs might call it mortons neuroma but I wouldn't go there until you've seen a good osteopath.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
an off the peg insert will work as well or better than a poorly made custom device...be very wary about people putting metatarsal pads onto footbeds, they should be used for specific medical foot problems not as a fix all...if you need to off load the met heads then a metatarsal bar is a much better option, burning in the ball of the foot can come from various different sources, the most common is either a lack of flexibility in the calf or a large calf muscle pushing you forward in the boot and transferring weight onto the ball of the foot, solutions include a well made footbed,a met bar, heel lifts, calf stretching, adjustment of the boot cuff, all, some or none of the above it depends on the individual
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM wrote:
an off the peg insert will work as well or better than a poorly made custom device...be very wary about people putting metatarsal pads onto footbeds, they should be used for specific medical foot problems not as a fix all...if you need to off load the met heads then a metatarsal bar is a much better option, burning in the ball of the foot can come from various different sources, the most common is either a lack of flexibility in the calf or a large calf muscle pushing you forward in the boot and transferring weight onto the ball of the foot, solutions include a well made footbed,a met bar, heel lifts, calf stretching, adjustment of the boot cuff, all, some or none of the above it depends on the individual

So true, and written by a man who knows you know Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blueberry, CEM is Colin from Solutions for Feet just in case you didn't realise (if I didn't already know I'd be unobservant enough not to notice the wee linky at the bottom of his post, no offence meant if you're far smarter and far more observant than I'd be tho Toofy Grin )

Anyway, follow the link for more info on Solutions for Feet and what Colin can offer - highly recommended by many of us here Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy