Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which village in the Zillertal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have been looking at all the various options for Feb half-term ski holiday and have narrowed it down to somewhere in the Zillertal in Austria - Maryhofen, Hintertux etc. But the question is: where is the best spot to base ourselves?

We are two couples each with (by then) a 12/13 month old baby and we're going for self-catered. We'll be taking it in turns to look after the nippers so local swimming pool, shops etc are desired. Obviously Maryhofen seems to be the biggest town but am put off by stories of mega-queues and would be prefer to be further up the valley in case lack of snow makes the glacier the place to be.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're worried about queues then Finkenburg might be a better option. Same ski area but not so popular a place to stay as the apres ski is not as good. I believe that the transport in the area is very good, so if you need to get to Hintertux then you can get there from anywhere in the valley. At that time of the year, though, you would be unlucky to have to rely on the glacier. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I stayed in Finkenberg in march. Pretty much everywhere in the village is within walking distance of the lift which links into the Mayrhofen ski area and there was frequent buses to Hintertux. There wasn't really much else in the village though, a few restaurants and pubs, some ski hire places, a spar, some hotels, that was about it so don't know if it would have enough there for you. It was easy enough to get a bus to Mayrhofen though which had a lot more shops etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tirol, just wondering why you've chosen half term when your sprogs are so young. Teachers?

Anyway, Zillertal... aside from Mayrhofen look at Zell am Ziller and Gerlos as it is all linked up - nice big area and less crowded.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tirol, I'm a big fan of Finkenberg, but with a baby its not the best choice as the road through the village is on a slope of about 20 degrees with narrow pavements on one side or the other, and you'll spend some time each day trying to get up and down the hill with a buggy or carrying the baby, as the bars, shop and accommodation are likely to be at opposite ends of the village.

Mayrhofen has everything you need, and is at low level and flat, so its easy to get around with a buggy, but as you've noted, it has a reputation for terrible queues. However, the skiers can get the bus out to Finkenberg or Mühlbach to use the lifts from there, or if you are early starters, be at the Penken lift as it opens and you'll avoid the worst of the queues. On the way down, stay on the hill as long as possible - the queues are bad from 3pm until 4pm, but it thins out quickly after that. Or take the bus/train and explore the valley - Ahorn, Eggalm and the further out slopes are all worth a trip.

Or, as Bode Swiller suggests, go for one of the other villages further down the valley, which have skiing which is as good or better in places, and which are quieter. In February, I'd be amazed if you needed to go to the glacier - the whole valley usually has at least a metre of cover on the top, and even in 2006-2007 when everywhere was low on snow, Zell am Ziller had 50-60cm of cover on top, which is adequate for Austria. Hintertux is a bit bleak both on and off the mountain, and on the bus it is 40 minutes or so from Mayrhofen, so its not worth trekking out to it every day. If you've never been on a glacier, do it once, but then avoid it if the cover is OK elsewhere, as it is open, featureless, and about 10 degrees colder than anywhere else in the valley.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The lifts at Zell am Ziller are a short way out of the main town, but I guess there's pretty regular shuttle bus between the two? Saying that, even though the Penken and Ahorn lifts are right in the centre of Mayrhofen, you'd stand a pretty good chance of wanting/needing a short bus ride there too, depending where your accommodation is. In which case, it almost makes sense to consider bus to Finkenberg or the other lift to the Mayrhofen area of the mountain (if you don't need to meet up with ski-school).

Not stayed in or been to Finkenberg, so can't comment there.

Zell am Ziller is very convenient if you're turning up by car. 4 or 5 large carparks and at least 2 rental shops right by the lifts. If the new lift that I heard a rumour about is opening this season, and they keep the runs open down to that and the existing midstation, then the queues getting off the mountain should be eased. Funny thing is, I've not had any queue getting up the mountain, but horrendous ones coming down.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tirol, I'm sure you are teachers, because you don't sound as if you're mad. wink If you had to go to the glacier in February you'd be better off going swimming.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we stayed between Mayrhofen and Hintertux this year, see:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!1824.entry

It was very pleasant indeed. Buses are pretty good if you want to explore the valley too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Both "other halves" are teachers - which means we get the joys of high priced holidays without working "part-time" snowHead

Thanks for the help so far, also wondered if anybody had stayed in Vorderlanersbach or Lanersbach?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gortonator,

Just clicked on your link - thanks. Useful background for Zillertal but also enjoyed reading your account of Mt Bachelor. Spent a few weeks in Bend with work a couple of winters ago so managed some skiing on Bachelor. Awesome stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lynseyf wrote:
I stayed in Finkenberg in march. Pretty much everywhere in the village is within walking distance of the lift which links into the Mayrhofen ski area and there was frequent buses to Hintertux. There wasn't really much else in the village though, a few restaurants and pubs, some ski hire places, a spar, some hotels, that was about it so don't know if it would have enough there for you. It was easy enough to get a bus to Mayrhofen though which had a lot more shops etc.

oops sorry , just remembered it was Lannersbach I stayed in not Finkenberg so all above comments apply to Lannersbach.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tirol, yep - had some wonderful days at Mt Bachelor, especially last year. Insanely deep pow! Hopefully be skiing there in less than 8 weeks Smile

I really enjoyed the Zillertal. Skiing was pretty good everywhere and with the resorts down the valley accessible on one pass, it's great fun to explore. Especially enjoyed a day at HochZillertal. There was some great terrain there, and much more potential than we explored in one day.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy