Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how young can you start skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

To be honest I'm quite happy to ski around with him for a big part of the day

That's the secret if you want them to start really young, 'cos kids love doing things with attentive and loving parents, especially 1 to 1. Time, patience, warm weather, knowing when to stop etc. When people ask a question which really means "When can I put them in the ski school and leave them whilst I shoot round the mountains being a hero" the answer is very different.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, that will be true for some but not all kids.

To attempt to generalise from one's own and one's friends' experience is all one can do, but it doesn't help an individual parent and child much; it all depends on the kid and if the parents are to be involved in teaching, on them. Some kids will thrive on skiing around with their parents, some won't. Some will cope with lessons (from someone) at 2, some will find it hard going at 4, some will never take to it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Luckily for us, we've got a couple of very very good skiers in our group of friends. One, ex-instructor, said he would teach our kid if it was a boy, the other, ex ski racer, said she would teach if it was a girl or a boy! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
one very important question...

How often do the kids lose their sunglasses?

Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine started at 4. Elder child loved first lessons in Selva and never looked back. Younger one had 3 sets of lessons with ESF, first two were waste of time, combination of really cold weather and unsympathetic instructors. 3 set of lessons were fine and she really got into it at St Anton the following year. Sweeping generalisation but I would avoid ESF until kids are a bit older. Of the 8 or 9 ski schools I've used I would rate St ANton as by far the best with young children. And fairly flexible about when you pick them up (not that they will tell you that) but they will herd any stray children into their dining room/child captivity centre and let them watch DVDs until you turn up for them. Not even a slap on the wrist for those BAD parents Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ghost Dog wrote:
Sweeping generalisation but I would avoid ESF until kids are a bit older.

to sweeping. Very Happy the ESF kid clubs in Mottaret and Meribel are excellent, mine went through the ESF system and always enjoyed it. The instructors were tops and keen to teach the little ones. They have clubhouses right next to the cordoned off area so they can warm up and play indoors and offer hot lunches as well. Only downside i can remember was Lapin stew didnt go down particularily well once she found out what Lapin was. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly wrote:

Hourly at first, changing to daily at age 10 or 11, then weekly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

one very important question...

They don't . You put them in goggles.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab wrote:
anybody who makes their children ski will be getting a call to esther rantzem from me, plain and simply put it's child abuse.

Indeed - keep them at home and never let them enjoy sport of any description. Far better they die an early death due to being unfit lard-asses.

Terrible forcing kids to do anything they don't want to - that's why mine don't go to school. wash or eat fruit rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, I suspect Stab may be suggesting that the way-of-the-tray would be less abusive...

shoogly, I would avoid dry slopes with very young kids. Dendix at least hurts like hell when you fall on it and it is very easy to break an arm or hand on it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother, that thought did occur to me - but I'm in a "lets have a moan about it" mood today Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know it's years away, but i'll soak all this knowledge up like a sponge for future reference, and it may help anyone else who have young kids interested in getting them started in skiing.

I know there's indoor ski slopes like Braehead and the new one in Manchester. Anyone ever taken their kids there for a lesson?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, I think many kids would enjoy one of the toboganning sessions they have at those slopes. I'd be inclined to see if they liked that first. We had lessons as a family (minus the youngest, who was only 3) on a very primitive dry slope in Scotland, but my younger son (now by orders of magnitude the best skier in the family) couldn't cope because of the nature of the instruction. He was about 7, and verbal instructions (weight on the outside ski etc) just didn't work with him. The 9 year old listened carefully, did what he was told, and was fine. The first time he went on snow (in Cairngorm) he went happily down the slope, nice curvy snowplough turns, and at the bottom he turned round to me, face shining, and said "it's much better on snow, Mum". Little kids seem to learn best by following their instructor down nice long green gentle slopes but for older kids, if they're keen and you can only have a week a year on the real thing, good quality instruction on a dry slope or snowdome might be well worth it. Depends on the kids. The kind of kids who regularly crash off their skateboards or bikes would not have a problem with falling on dendix. My daughter would not have liked it, so we didn't ever try it with her.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Xscape in MK used to do a parent and toddler session - this was a 30-min session where you could take little ones onto the snow yourself. Not a bad idea for getting them used to skis etc - but parents are the worst people to actually teach kids.

Most of the snowslopes now offer some form of intro lessons.

When ours were young (3) we bought some of those plastic strap on skis and just let them shuffle around on them if they wanted to - along with snowball fights, sledging etc it got them used to the environment.

The key has to be not to force them to do it - put them off it and that's screwed your skiing for a while Shocked Hence the comment about don't teach them - have seen (and done Embarassed ) so many arguments between parents and stroppy kids - all of course are little angels for instructors
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris wrote:
stab wrote:
anybody who makes their children ski will be getting a call to esther rantzem from me, plain and simply put it's child abuse.

Indeed - keep them at home and never let them enjoy sport of any description. Far better they die an early death due to being unfit lard-asses.

Terrible forcing kids to do anything they don't want to - that's why mine don't go to school. wash or eat fruit rolling eyes

Laughing
I've given kids some hassle in the shop about why aren't they snowboarding, the parents agree to a lesson for them, they love it, they almost cry when the parents make them ski after that, the parents answer is always "we don't want to wait for them all day" so the kid ends up having to ski all day just because the parents don't like them boarding slowly, that's wrong IMO, plus they like the baggy trousers Smile
snow report
Boris, MK has changed a bit this summer and no longer allow parents to be on the hill during any form of group lesson Parents and toddlers has been scrubbed. (your right they dont do the kids many favours and have been known to run over other children when chasing theirs rolling eyes ). Now there are three types of group lessons offered for 3-6 year olds.

taster session 4 kids max per instructor
snow cubs 4 x 1 hr sessions 4 max per instructor £79 (total beginners up to being able to snow plough stop from a straight glide)
snow bears 4 x 1 hr sessions 4 max per instructor £79 (snow plough to sp turns and turning with control of speed and line, use of poma)
should a child not complete the "levels" within cubs or bears private lessons are £40 per 1/2 hour

after this there is a sunday breakfast club which is coached sessions
after BC is race training for 6 and overs.

If a parent wants to be with the child they must book a half hour private lesson.

boarding starts at 7 - 10
snow report
stab, how young would you advise someone to start boarding? we are talking about <6 's here...
snow conditions
skimottaret, dunno, it's a tough one because they will fall so much and it puts them off. With sk***g they can just stand upright and head for the giant bunny and not fail. I've certainly seen under 6's boarding, and pretty well I might add. I guess if they understand that this will involve a lot of falling over but they can wear baggy trousers and a gangsta lean then let them go for it. Smile I don't know how old the kids I've taught have been, I guess around 10, some are good skiers already, others have just seen snow for the 1st time.
As hard as it is for me to accept, sk***g is probably a safer bet for kids from 3-5 yrs. Sad
snow conditions
just to add, obviously if I ever have kids then the midwife will have trouble getting the board and bindings out of the womb.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
just to add, obviously if I ever have kids then the midwife will have trouble getting the board and bindings out of the womb.

If you have kids that'd be the least of your worries Shocked
latest report
skimottaret, when I enquired about boarding lessons for my son, then aged about 6, in Canada, everyone I spoke to (who might be expected to know what they were talking about) said 7 or 8 minimum.
latest report
richmond, stab, yeah 7 is about min as kids arnt strong enough to manage a board much younger...
latest report
stab wrote:
Boris wrote:
stab wrote:

Laughing
I've given kids some hassle in the shop about why aren't they snowboarding, the parents agree to a lesson for them, they love it, they almost cry when the parents make them ski after that, the parents answer is always "we don't want to wait for them all day" so the kid ends up having to ski all day just because the parents don't like them boarding slowly, that's wrong IMO, plus they like the baggy trousers Smile

I'm keeping my options open with my kids - at the moment I can ski better than them (just). Another year, when the boys will be 9, I'll let them have a go at boardin'. Luckily I have, in the past, been a boarder so will then get a few more years when I'm better than them.

When they are better at boarding and skiing than me - I'm starting on telemarking and paragliding.

Hopefully when they've caught up again, I'll have grandkids and can go back to skiing again wink
snow report
Back to my whingeing about ESF, I was being slightly unfair, in Tignes one year it was Ski Evo (I think) who weren't too great. ESF in Tignes Easter same year weren't any better. I concede that ESF in Morzine seemed better generally with kids, and I have seen some frindly (and very pretty) instructors at Montgenevre who seemed to have a rapport with the kids. I haven't found an ESF school that will take kids all day (I rather hope they do in La Plagne, will find out at NY) was pleasantly surprised to find that St Anton and Selva schools did. FREEDOM! (in Mel Gibson Jock accent).

Oh, and kids lose goggles too, we were down 3 sunnies and a pair of goggles at St Anton, one goggles and one sunnies at Alpe D and a pair of sunnies at Selva last year. Thank god for Skiwear4less. Roadshows must be starting (or started) soon.
snow conditions
Quote:

I haven't found an ESF school that will take kids all day

ESF in meribel and mottaret do and will start them at 18 months http://www.meribel.net/home.asp?id=340&saison=20091&langue=en
snow conditions
My son had his first lesson in Heavenly this year at the age of 4 years and 2 weeks. He had been on two previous ski holidays with us (and was dying to try at 2 years 10 months but I thought that a little young). He had done lots of snowplay at Tamworth as well. He is now having lessons at Tamworth but I'm taking it slowly as I don't want to pressure him. We are also still doing snow play so it's not all hard work! He says he wants to board instead of ski but I don't think Tamworth let them board until 12.

Obviously it depends on the child but I think not pressurising them is the key.
ski holidays
dbaskls wrote:
He says he wants to board instead of ski but I don't think Tamworth let them board until 12.

boycott tamworth. Mad

/runs off to start petition and internet slur campaign.
latest report
Quote:

I don't think Tamworth let them board until 12

can't think why not, when you see the fantastic things 8-10 year olds get up to on their skateboards.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooops correction - you can board from 10 at Tamworth!
latest report
pam w, Admitadly I was older but your experience about dryslopes intitially then onto snow rings a bell.

I didn't progress quickly at the dry slope, but I was parrall turning 2 days into my holiday in the real snow.
snow report
on the topic, check this out; made me chuckle

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/skiing/23321/wanaka-two-year-old-warms-nationals
snow conditions
pam w, ummm snowboards are 3 times the size and weight and strapped on... kinda hard for a kid to manuever them.
snow report
skimottaret, I've been struck by the very rapid rise in young kids snowboarding - they have dear little tiny boards and seem to manage just fine. It's obviously not for all kids - but falling on snow, strapped to a snowboard (something I've done a lot of....) has to be less painful than falling off a skateboard onto a pavement. And are they 3 times the size? Why is weight an issue? I would bet that a pair of snowboard boots and a snowboard weigh less than a pair of ski boots, skis and rental bindings. Certainly kids could be injured snowboarding, but they can be injured skiing, too.
snow conditions
pam w, I meant comparing a snowboard to a skate board... most little kids lack the strength to muscle around a board
ski holidays
obviously it depends on the kid, but there are certainly some youngsters in ski school classes, just the last few years. Not 4 year olds, but certainly under 10s. I think it's probably the "cool image" which does it. Why does a board require more "muscling" than a pair of skis? It's certainl 100% easier to get up onto a board than onto skis.
snow report
At least with a board you only have one of them and not 2 to split and fall everywhere.
snow conditions
arv, yes. I have more than once stopped to pick up little kids who have done the splits on their skis and are silently weeping in that "giraffe drinking at a water hole" position. I saw a 6 year old little lad boarding with his dad. It was a joy to behold. He fell a lot, and just rolled over and straight back onto his feet, laughing. Dad was super. Effortless boarder, very encouraging, made it all fun, didn't look he was even remotely bored spending hours on the nursery slope.
ski holidays
ghost dog there are good instructors and bad instructors everywhere. unfortunatly the bad/average outweigh the good most times.

i skied as a child on school trips with EFS in la plagne and had a wicked fun time both years but i think it was the luck of the draw. The instructor seemed to enjoy teaching us which made a huge difference. Hopefully you'll have a good experience this time.

There must be a way of making or compiling a list of good instructors that are out there in the different resorts to make it less like russian roulette.

as for the snowbaording thing i saw a couple of kids that must have only been about 4 decked out in burton stuff and they were tearing it up able to turn both ways. ( the parents were japanese racers, dunno if that helped!! who'd take turns to guide the kids down inbetween there training.)

alot of the age thing with snowboarding can come from equipment rentals, ie places don't rent small boards and boots.

The rental shop i worked at in new zealand had boards down to 97cm and 20 mondo boots whereas no one else really did anything less than a 120cm. We were a bit like if the stuff fits and the kids keen, it'll be fine. Which makes sense in NZ/Australia where kids are skating, surfing and wakeboarding at the same age if not younger. Plus parents are abit more relaxed about their kids falling over.
ski holidays
Don't think boarding is recommended for the under 5s whereas 3+ seems to be a good age to "get" skiing from my limited (ski by) observations. Think the difference is dowm to muscle coordination and balance. Kids sit back on skis in a snowplough - no big deal, sit back on a board - rapid acceleration and fall.
snow report
Hi all,

Just come home from my daughter's FIRST successful ski lesson. She is 4 in November and has been for three lessons on dry slope.

Lesson 1 - didn't want to join in because too many other kids flapping around on skis alongside her. Stood with glum face until end of lesson. As soon as others left, she wanted a turn. Then spent 10 minutes on the gentle end of slope before next class arrived and we had to go home.

Lesson 2 - even more didn't want to join in and stood with even glummer face waiting for everyone else to leave. Another 10 minute "private" lesson with dad at end of session.

Lesson 3 - missed because we were on hols.

Lesson 4 - now the group was on steep (and more open) part of slope and learning to use tow. All of sudden - WHOOSH - off she went. By end of lesson she could snowplough top to bottom by herself, controlling her speed, and can almost use the tow unaided.

So the answer to the question is - they are capable of doing it at 3/4 if they decide they want to do it. If not, forget it. Try to find the cheapest possible way of testing the water with them before committing to a ski holiday!

Despite this advice we booked our "winter" holiday to Zell am See for end of February. We dared not call it a "ski hol" incase ski-ing was taken off the agenda but it looks like we will all get to ski after all. I don't think we will risk ski school for my daugher though. My wife can go to ski school in morning, and I will spend that time practicing with my daughter before heading off in the afternoon.

Nice site and group! Hope this is first post of many.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy