Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking new all mountain ski recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've lurked on snowHead for a while but this is my first post. I've done 6 weeks skiing and have reached mid-advanced level, certainly nowhere near being arrogant enough to think I am near expert yet. For the last season I have been on K2 Apache Recons (167cm) but I really love fast carving on piste and I'm wondering if there are options which will suit this better. There is nothing wrong with the Recons but I think they are just a bit too middle of the road. I still want an all mountain ski so I can go anywhere without feeling compromised but I spend 60% of my time on piste and most of the rest in the bumps or steeps with not much opportunity to have a go in powder even though I would like to.

To sum it up I am looking for a pair of skis that will allow me to really carve at speed on the piste but which is sufficiently versatile that I can have a go at anything. I'm wondering if something like the Salomon X-wing Tornado might be a better choice, or maybe even something more piste oriented like the Head Chip Supershape?

I am 6' but just 65-66kg which is quite light for my height so I would also welcome advice on the correct ski length as well. Some skis come in either 162cm or 170cm, I presume I should go for the 170cm but I worry that my natural ski length would be 165cm. Does this really make a difference and will it hamper me in the bumps?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salomon X-wing is a good place to start. As for the length you will get alot of advice I personally would say you are better off on the 170 but it is a personal choice at the end of the day if your technique is good it wont affect your skiing to much.

Elan Magfire
Atomic Nomads are also pretty good options
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I weigh the same as you (well got a few kg's on you but near as damn it) and roll in at the same height.

I'd be looking at the Nordica Hot Rod grouping, the Elan Magfires and Atomic Nomads are all similar ideas with slightly different concepts. I would go for something between 170 and 180.

Do you have a budget to stick to? If the Salomons still have that foam core I would avoid them. Infact I just wouldn't touch em
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like I am looking for the same ski.

Has anyone skied the Head Chip Supershape? Its in the S&R catalogue and looks pretty spot on, but I wonder if its too demanding. I am a once a year skier with 8 weeks under my belt, happy on blacks, moguls etc. Advanced intermediate? I want the scope to go off piste, but if I am honest most of my skiing will be on piste Reds and Blacks.

Rossi Zenith Z10 and Volkl Tigershark 10ft Powerswitch also being considered but I don't like the idea of gadgets.

David
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Do you have a budget to stick to? If the Salomons still have that foam core I would avoid them.

No particular budget, would think twice about shelling out too much money as I'd be worried about actually skiing them!

I believe the x-wing tornado has a full wood core now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
westrg, if you want a good solid ski (with wooden core) then have a look at Volkl. From what you've said then these sound like they would fit the bill.

http://www.volkl.com/ski/unlimited_ac30.html

For your height you need to be going for the 170 or 177 in the ski above. I'm a female 5 ft 6 and I ski a 168 so you should easily be able to cope with a 170-180 ski like Ordhan has said.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
westrg, In that case the X-Wing would probably fit the bill as much as I have grown to dislike Salomon. I would look at the Elan Magfire range, like these, or the Blackeyes.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 22-09-08 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Xwing Fury in 170/178 ish at the shop.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is the difference between the Tornado and the Fury? I can see the Fury is wider but the Salomon website seems to rate it better for on piste than the Tornado.

And can anyone enlighten me on Smartrak/Protrak? Some things I have read suggest that there are two options for mounting.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nordica Dobermann SL-Rs. Those puppies rock in anything. And you don't need to worry about size, it's either 165cms of you have the bits or 155cms if you don't.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied the Fury and it will take you all over. For my tastes it is a bit too wide in the shovel, but that isn't the fault of the ski, more how I ski.

I think it is Mission-like. 177 Fury for you, IMV. If you stay 60-70 on piste, get an XL/XXL Stormrider or a Movement Spark, the latter having a bit more off-piste bias. The Stockli will rail the piste, IMV.

Opps... just seen your skiing experience.....but if you can handle Recons, then the others I have mentioned should trip you up...too much!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy