Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking a baby car seat on Ryaniar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Has anyone taken a baby car seat on a Ryanair flight? It looks like it will cost £16.

Ryanair's FAQ's say:

There is no checked or cabin baggage allowance for infants. However, one fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge. Additional infant equipment is charged at separate fee per item/per one way flight. Additional infant equipment such as car/booster seats and travel cots may be carried in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance.

I'm reading this assuming I have to pay for the car seat. When I go to book the tickets it gives me the option to pay for additional baby equipment at £16 a flight so I'm assuming I do that.

If anyone has done this before and can advise that would be great. I don't fancy turning up at the airport and falling foul to Ryanair's system because i've not booked the car seat in properly. rolling eyes

My little boy's only 8 days old so i'm pretty new to all this Dad malarky! snowHead

Thanks
Kersh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kersh, Sorry, don't know, but congratulations! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, it's not very clear, is it? But it does look like it would be an extra £16. That's peanuts compared to what he's going to cost you for the next 35 years. wink Congratulations.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose if it's a very cheap flight cost, buy him a seat then he'll get a baggage allowance, presumably? And one tip from a former traveller-with-babies. If they're breastfed it's 500% easier. You would never believe how much clutter and faff modern bottle feed babies need.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have No Idea, but as you say better to be safe than sorry...

Oh and Congratulations Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kersh, congratulations, and welcome to the daddy club... wink

You've interpreted the Ryanair details correctly, from my experience - you can take a buggy free, which has to be collapsed and put in the hold (you can usually take it as far as the steps on your own), but every other item has to be paid for at the baby equipment rate, so if you also need a travel cot, car seat, etc it soon adds up. Watch out for liquids in your hand luggage - if you have milk for your son, one of you will have to taste it at security...

Also, the payment for your baby to travel is just that - it doesn't get you a seat for them, so think carefully about how you will manage with a baby on your lap for the duration of the flight, including any requirements to feed him. A good tip is to ensure that baby is awake and hungry as you get on the plane - that way, you're likely to get a row of 3 seats between you, as no-one will want to sit with you. As you get on, ask whether the flight is full - even on Ryanair, its not unusual to have 2-3 free seats on the plane, so ensuring that you have one of them in your row is a big win.

Also expect your baby to cry on takeoff and landing unless you are fairly lucky and they can adjust the pressure in their ears easily - my son can, but many others feel the pressure change, and crying actually helps to equalise the pressure.

For now, relax and enjoy it - its easy when they are that age. From about 9 months onwards, they won't want to be held all of the time, will need constant entertainment, will refuse to sleep when there's all of the excitement of a plane and new people, and will object loudly if they are being constrained... Sad My son is almost 2 now, and has been on about 8 trips, of varying length and pain, and those in the first 6 months were by far the easiest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I saw someone on a recent Ryan air flight take a baby seat with carseat in situ. I think they got the whole thing on as a "carseat" - Congrats from me too!! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the tips and congrats everyone. It looks like it'll cost me £16. My better half is breast feeding so hopefully it should be fine on the flight (no bottles etc.).

pam w, you make a good point about buying him a seat. It's crazy but for me, the cost of the flight is £5 each way plus taxes. For Nico, it's £16. It will be cheaper if I buy him an adult seat. Do you reckon i'd get away with that? I can see Ryanair getting in a right grump. wink

Thanks again.
Kersh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kersh, good that Nico is being breast fed as this may well help with any discomfort during take off and descent. Our eldest son flew at 7 weeks and although he screamed the place down until the engines started, he was then lulled to sleep almost immediately. I fed him during the the descent and landing (you will be given an add-on to your seat belt for when he is on your lap) and we didn't have any problems with ear discomfort - good luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

if you have milk for your son, one of you will have to taste it at security...

As he's breastfed, Kersh, that'll be you who has to taste it, unless your OH is either very supple or has very large boobs.... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kersh, congrats, we have a new arrival too!

As for Ryanair - the buggy is free. I buy a bag allowance for myself, then put the child or baby seat in a big bag which I bought from Kiddiecare. You can have 15kg - the Kiddicare bag is massive so you can fit other small bags/rucksacs in there too to get to 15kg. Also, the check-in clerks have never weighed the bag - they just look at it then send me to 'bulky items'.

Then I take a drag-a-long case as hand luggage - its the perfect required dimensions and you can take 10kg.

Im about to make a family trip to the uk - toddler and baby, so 2 car seats needed and loads of luggage. ummm. Very Happy

PS - we must meet up this season snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Laughing Laughing

flangesax, congrats to you too!!! and thanks for the tips. I've got 4 weeks before the off so i'll check out the bags on Kiddiecare.

... and yes we should meet up this season. I'll let you know when i'm out. snowHead snowHead

Cheers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

then put the child or baby seat in a big bag which I bought from Kiddiecare

Of course the Health and Safety Exec / Social Services always prefer you to only put the baby seat in the bag and the child on the aircraft...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Kersh.I congratulate you ,I am also planning for the trip with my family.I have a baby boy so I want to take Mickey bungee deluxe along with us.Your tips would help me to carry it by the flight.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
icoobaby2 wrote:
Hey Kersh.I congratulate you ,I am also planning for the trip with my family.I have a baby boy so I want to take Mickey bungee deluxe along with us.Your tips would help me to carry it by the flight.

Will you be feeding your baby Spam during the flight?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy