Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Gervais at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My first post, so please be gentle.

I have booked a long weekend in St Gervais between 27th and 31st December.

Its the first time we will have been skiing over Christmas/New Year so I'm expecting it to be busy but can anyone let me know what to expect regarding queues, restaurants and the skiing in general around that area.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCollier1, I've been to Megève (linked to St Gervais - the other side of Mt d'Arbois) several times at that time of year. I'm going the week after in the coming season. There's usually plenty of snow at that time, though it may not be deep. There certainly won't be a problem on the upper slopes e.g. Mt Joux and Mt Joly. Like anywhere at that time, it can be quite cold.

The area doesn't attract huge numbers from the big operators, so significant queues don't really happen. There's a huge choice of mountain restaurants, but they're quite expensive.

Any more specific questions, let me know.

And welcome to snowHeads!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCollier1, welcome to snowHead s In my limited experience of being in France for Christmas the "big Christmas meal" tends to happen on Christmas Eve and Christmas day itself is a bit of a non-event. Worth booking restaurants well in advance for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve - we ended up eating sausages in the street one New Year's eve in Le Carroz rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCollier1, welcome to Snow Heads - it may be worth sending a pm (personal message) to beequin as he has an apartment in St G (we were there in the summer, but that doesn't help your queue/skiing questions Very Happy) As for restaurants, we like Etenerle or something similar, in the village. Varied menu, good service, food was very good for the price, which was very reasonable. There was another restaurant just opposite the Evasion office (can't miss it) - we went twice before discovering Etenerle, and they got the order wrong both times (only 4 people!), and is was comparatively expensive. Lovely place though. There are several Spar type supermarkets in the village too, as well as boulangeries and a sausage shop!

To send a pm, go to send/read messages above, then post a message to the person using their Snowheads name. Depending on how often they come on the site, it may take a day or two to get a reply.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SCollier1, Welcome

Where in St Gervais..? Car or local transport..?

I have spent quite a time in Le Feyette but have always had a car to get upto Les Contamines, or Chamonix

I don't think the St G or Megeve slopes will be busy, or Le Houche, but Chamonix will be IMV.

I've always used the village as a base to go to PDS ( Les Gets ) or Flaine as well as the more obvious and nearer areas.

The big dinner will likely be on Xmas eve and the lifts may close early on the 24th, IIRC..but I may be confuasing it with an Austrian hol.
Xmas day is a normal day ski-wise
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SCollier1, welcome to Snowheads. I see you're not going till 27 Dec, so all this advice about Christmas Eve won't be too useful. wink Have a good holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I've rented a private apartment through the owners direct website and will be driving from Geneva. Am I best skiing in the St Gervais/Megeve area or would it be worth my while tying other areas. We will have 4 days skiing in total and I would describe myself and my wife as improving intermediates.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, darn, didn't read that bit Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SCollier1, Welcome to snowHeads!

If you're only there for four days then you will find more than enough to keep you amused without having to get the car out and travel elsewhere.

That said there are some lovely smaller resorts withn very easy driving distance which are worth a visit....Praz sur Arly which is just above Megeve is very nice and is quiet as most of the skiers stop at Megeve and don't bother to go on up the hill that little bit further. For an interesting day out you can get the tram up to Les Houches which is a nice area to ski. Plus if you really want to go for it you can reach Les Carroz, Flaine or Chamonix in an easy drive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SCollier1, Welcome.

This time next year I hope to be able to spout with some authority on St Gervais as we'll be spending this winter there. In the meantime my tuppence worth is that you should be fine for 4 days in St Gervais/Megeve though as homphomp, says there are plenty of alternatives 'on your doorstep' if you feel the need to venture further afield.

We were there in both half term and Easter weeks this year and despite the local view being that it was packed at half term we found it anything but, comparing favorably to a number better known resorts in mid March with the only significant ( 15 minutes or so at 9am) queue being to the main gondola. Easter was amazing with whole slopes completely to ourselves! On that basis, I'm hoping that the Xmas/new Year period isn't going to be carnage!

Restaurant wise, we liked The Royal in the village centre. Varied menu with plenty of alternatives to the usual 'pig and cheese' fayre at about 15 euros for a very generous and tasty main course in friendly, rustic surroundings.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is plenty of skiing in St Gervais /Megeve for four days and I can see no reason to ski further out, but the shortest additional trip is to Les Contamines. I would suggest Les Communailles for lunch, Eterle as per Anniepen for eating out in the evening (but book). My sister-in-law has done several New Years in SG and has never had serious queuing problems.
February half-term this year was the quietest of the last ten.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the shortest additional trip is to Les Contamines.

Les Contamines (at least above the top of the gondola) is likely to have better snow at Christmas than Praz sur Arly. But I agree St Gervais/Megeve has heaps for 4 days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy