Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendation for a VERY mixed group?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, we're looking for a resort for two couples, one of whom are taking their 18 month sprog, plus granny to look after her. We're pretty mixed ability, from a timid 3rd timer, to a confident black run monster. We'll also need somewhere with a fair bit for non skiing granny to do. I did think of Courmeyer (sp?), but it does seem a bit limited in terms of extent. Any other thoughts? We've never been to Austria, so some suggestions there would be helpful.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With a mixed group like that - a key question is how much you want to ski together? Will there be lessons involved (there should, IMO, but each to their own).

No ideas on Austria I'm afraid...anyway -

If the group will naturally separate during the day, you could do worse than Chamonix. While you'll almost certainly get the usual round of "but the buses are crap" later - they're not crap and the skiing is varied enough for a mixed group.

More importantly, the town has much more to do than usual ski resorts, hopefully keeping granny happy. Ski wise, depending on how timid the most timid is you can have "group together" days at Le Tour for example or days where the timid ones stay there and the more confident head to Grands Montets or Brevent-Flegere.

If you all want to ski together all the time (I'd be surprised) - you need somewhere really quite different. Megeve maybe? Cortina possibly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that David. We tend to ski together now and again, have lessons in the mornings, and it all seems to work well for us. We've been away together before, but not with the baby and granny in tow - hence a bit more thought than usual about stuff for non-skiers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajpaul, do you definitely want to head to Europe or is NA an option?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajpaul, Wengen might be worth considering. Non-skiers can get up the mountain by train to meet skiers for lunch, they can also get out of the resort easy by train. Plus there are plenty of gentle runs for timid skiers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rich.ll, not a bad idea although not a great deal of challenging stuff. Depends how active Granny wants to be...lots of pretty views..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to say Wengen too - it would be easier to get around that whole area, with a baby, than Chamonix would - the trains are so brilliant. I have been to both areas with a non-skier and the fun to be had around Chamonix (including meeting the skiers for lunch) required a lot more driving and strenuous walking. I don't know about off-piste in the Jungfrau region, though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, Yes. I was focusing my attention on the timid-skiers and non-skiers. It should be mentioned that the MSB has been in Wengen the last two years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich.ll, and in fairness, I would expect that you could find some good guided off-piste...certainly around Mürren it looks like there is?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what does grandma want to "do"? A lot of the "non skiing activity" vaunted in resort literature is stuff like dog sledding, ice-skating, sports centres etc. Is she that sort of granny? (in which case she should be out on skis.) When my mother came skiing with us what she wanted to do was gentle walks on prepared surfaces, looking at the mountains, meeting somewhere where we could all have a coffee together, and watch the skiers, and sit at home in a chalet with a nice mountain view, and read. She also liked a gentle swim in warm water as long as she didn't have to "go anywhere". Our first holiday together was in St Oswald, a satellite of Bad Kleinkircheim, in a lovely warm (and big) self catering apartment, with a heated spa pool in the garden. Very limited skiing, but was just right for first timers. Much later she joined us in Les Gets, where we rented an entire self catering chalet. We could drive her up to the bottom of the main lifts and she could sit in a cafe watching the activity and her grandchildren could show off their skiing. She also appreciated a trip up the Mont Chery gondola one day, to admire the views. Many resorts provide that sort of "activity". Of course, in very cold weather or poor vis, she would not have wanted to be out and about much - in which case she would have been happy enough reading. In no case would she have wanted to go shopping, for example - she was not a big fan of shopping in any case and it was the last thing she'd have wanted to do on a holiday in the mountains. But I have a sister in law for whom a week without shopping would be a sort of purgatory. That's why I was wondering what grandma would want to do?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,
Quote:

18 month sprog, plus granny to look after her

I'm not sure that what she 'wants' is relevant. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Schladming in Austria? Easy transfer from Salzurg airport and a friendly interesting place to stay. Should suit all the skiers and there is a train to Salzburg for Granny and littl'un.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, sounds perfect for what were after in a couple of years... in somewhere like Bad Kleinkircheim did you find there was enough for them to do to keep her/them amused in addition to the babysitting... my folks are up to a trip like this, but are quite active... any similar suggestions?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In reply to the 'Thread' title, how about a selection box or maybe a big box of Quality Streets?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pam W - I'm not really sure what she wants tbh! I think general pottering around with the little 'un in nice coffee shops, maybe a spa of an evening, that sort of thing.

Schaldming or Wengen seem popular suggestions for Austria - I'll get my research head on now - thanks to all.
latest report
ajpaul, Wengen is in Switzerland not Austria.
snow report
St Moritz.
Zermatt.
Davos.
Val d'Isere.
Lech.
Aspen.
ski holidays
Whitegold,

Davos? Are you mad?

Val d'Isere? Are you mad?
latest report
I don't know Davos but Val D,Isere is certainly mad, from more than one point of view. As a granny, I can't imagine many places I'd want to hang around in with a todder less.

It's odd the way sometimes people think that the question "is there much for a non skier to do" makes sense, without specifying what sort of non-skier they are. People specify what sort of skiing/skier (timid, aggressive, big mileage, likes trees, likes bumps, like the park, etc). I didn't like Bad Kleinkirchheim much, from what little we saw of it - though the swimming pool was fairly spectacular. We went there for 2 weeks and did BKK on the middle weekend changeover day. I liked St Oswald much better but from what I can remember it would only suit beginners - which we all were.

Some non skiers (me, for instance, if I couldn't ski) would want beautiful scenery, some accessible walking/snowshoeing, and a comfortable attractive place to sit and read half the day, with some gondola lift to take me up the mountain to sit in a restaurant when I wanted a change of scenery. A well equipped kitchen to do some nice cooking in would be good. Others would want shopping, spas, ice skating (nearly killed myself last time I did that) or TV.

It might be a good idea to ask grandma what she fancies, especially if ski-baby sitting is to be a regular event. It can work really well, and it's a great way for three generations to holiday together. But it needs thought.
snow report
<<<<non skiers (me, for instance, if I couldn't ski) would want beautiful scenery, some accessible walking/snowshoeing, and a comfortable attractive place to sit and read half the day, with some gondola lift to take me up the mountain to sit in a restaurant when I wanted a change of scenery. A well equipped kitchen to do some nice cooking in would be good. >>>>>

Couldn't agree with you more. You've described my perfect holiday - ski-ing just makes it even more perfect.
ski holidays
Quote:

You've described my perfect holiday - ski-ing just makes it even more perfect

Seconded.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I'm a bit puzzled... Whitegold is, of course, stark raving mad as any fule kno, and he demonstrates it by making one of his recommendations the cliched Tarantaise hell-hole that is VdI what is it about his selection of Davos that makes you remind us of the fact? Presuming she's not and Aesthete or an Architect there's loads for 'Granny' to do and the skiing range would suit the party well surely? (I'm presuming you've been there...)

Explain yourself Sir!
latest report
I also think Davos would be fine - lots of buses and trains to get around, buzzy town, beautiful scenery, extensive and varied skiing on and off piste for the skiers. What's not to like? Espace Killy, on the other hand...totally charmless and I shall not return, even though I recognize that the skiing is good.
snow report
red 27, haven't been there but the OH does an annual secret mission there and was decidedly unimpressed...it's not on our list of places to visit...but I remain very open to have my mind changed. Just not the needles, please, not the needles...
latest report
David Murdoch, I went there on a business related thing expecting it to be ghastly and was blown away by the skiing - so much variety and individually stunning runs. It's one of those places where the piste map doesn't do it justice.

Yes the town looks ugly on the webcams but at street level it's pleasant - never choccy box or really even alpine, but a nice, affluent Swiss town and perhaps that's it - it is very 'Swiss' and of course that's not to eveeryone's taste - possibly that's why your OH doesn't dig it...
ski holidays
Zell am See in Austria would fit your reqts, also consider Saalbach or Hinterglemm, though probably a bit less to do for the non skiers as they are a bit smaller, skiing is superb though for all grades of skier. I also skied for the day at Grossarl (Dorf Gastein) and Hochkoenig (Maria Alm), though I didn't stay at either place, again good skiing though limited for the 'monster'. Atmosphere, food and beer are all excellent in Austria as is the welcome from the locals who invariably speak good english.

Good luck with your holiday planning.
latest report
red 27, we live in Switzerland...
snow conditions
Depends on Granny - Austria is full of farts. My impression is that exercise - walking, skiing etc. is part of their way of life that offsets the time spent in cake shops. The less mobile seem to congregate in the spas & have unspeakable water treatments. I am bus pass age but found Bad Hofgastein was too boring for me but might suit you granny if she like soaking in warm water. The skiing was good enough.
Being on top of a mountain does it for me, I love skiing but when my knees finally give I can happily sit on the top of a mountain in a deck chair armed with sun cream, hot chocolate & a book. If this is your thing - Jungfrau has access to the top by train & good restaurants when you get there. Lauterbrun world cup run is exhilarating & the run down from the Schilthorn takes some beating.
Twisted Evil If she is a game old bird go to St Anton, get her tanked up at the Mooserwirt, strap some planks to he feet & give her push - she might like it ! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One vital requirement for that kind of holiday group is that the skiing needs to be close to the accommodation for liaison/handover/rendezvous etc. I don't know Zell am See (though I've always thought it sounds lovely) but don't you have to trek a bit to get to the skiing? Ideally you want a nice caff, with both an indoor and a terrace option, where any combination of the group and toddler can meet right by the lifts somewhere, within easy toddler walking distance of the accomodation. If it's snowy you can hire one of those little pavement sledges for the toddler. Make sure granny has 100% bombproof and non-slip boots.
snow conditions
Thanks again to all. As granny will be toddler sitting during the day, its more about pleasant shops and cafes to potter about in, maybe meet us for lunch, and then a bit of indulgence for her of an evening. We're not on a tight budget, but I suspect the likes of Davos may be beyond us. I don't think I mentioned, we'll be looking to rent a decent sized (i.e 4 'proper' bedrooms) apartment and self cater - unless a smaller chalet for the 5 of us is feasable.
snow conditions
Kitzbuhel. The town is nice, and has a train station, so you can do day trips to Innsbruck and Salzburg (both are worth a trip).

pam w, Zell is a town, so some of the accommodation is away from the lists, but there is a reasonable amount close. As there are 3 main access points to the skiing area, there are plenty of options close to lifts. The City Xpress lift is the best placed for access to town, and has a number of pensions and hotels within 2 mins walk.
ski holidays
ajpaul wrote:
Thanks again to all. As granny will be toddler sitting during the day, its more about pleasant shops and cafes to potter about in, maybe meet us for lunch, and then a bit of indulgence for her of an evening. We're not on a tight budget, but I suspect the likes of Davos may be beyond us. I don't think I mentioned, we'll be looking to rent a decent sized (i.e 4 'proper' bedrooms) apartment and self cater - unless a smaller chalet for the 5 of us is feasable.

In which case, St Moritz will be your best bet. The place is rammed with trophy wives and glamorous grannies shopping and coffeeing.

Easily affordable and not as expensive as the hype suggests, provided you shop around.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Whitegold,

Davos? Are you mad?

Val d'Isere? Are you mad?

Wasn't Murdoch the mad one off the A-Team? wink

Davos is a nice enough place to spend the day pottering around.

Ditto for Val d'Isere. Especially this year, as they will be pedestrianizing and gentrifying more of the high street, to prepare for the World Champs in Feb 2009.
snow report
If Granny likes shopping and eating out then your first thought of Courmayeur would be a good bet...although from what I recall there is a bit of traffic there.

From what I remember Courmayeur is good for intermediates and has a few lovely mountain restaurants. Depending on when you are going the expert skiers could do a day trip to Chamonix and could also do the vallee blanche run one day (somebody corrected me on another thread saying it is not open all season...I did the vallee blanche mid feb and it had good snow cover then).

I have only been to Austria once so I expect others can give better advice there.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
we live in Switzerland...

My condolances to you both...
latest report
Try Gressoney, Champoluc and Alagna, in the Italian Alps...

Ciao
snow report
skiwithmax, how do those resorts suit the particular group described?
snow report
I tend to believe that for baby-sitting the first requirement is a good apartment. Second, safe conditions underfoot with flat terrain and third a few things to do - like swimming pool or horse and cart rides. Megeve on all counts. Chamonix too, but it is more spread out.
snow conditions
ajpaul, We went to Les gets at Easter this year - a very mixed bag.

Family of 5 (3 kids aged 18 months - 8yrs). Parents were nervous 2nd week mum and more confident 2nd week father. Kids in ski school but not 18 month old
Family of 4 (2 kids aged 11 and 13). Mum confident on reds Dad confident on blacks. Kids 8 weeks or so skiers confident on blues and reds went to ski school, 13yr old on blacks with dad by end of weeek.
Family of 4 (2 kids aged 6 and Cool. Mum timid blue runner, Dad black run fiend.
Granny - no skiing looked after toddlers when not in ski school.
Me and daughter. Daughter first timer, me black run skier
Single guy. Black runs no problem and also a qualified instructor. Gave some informal instruction to 2nd week parents and kids (shh, don't tell ESF wink )

So lots of mixed abilities. Plenty to do in Les Gets for non-skiers or timid skiers who don't want to ski much e.g. shops, ice rink, tobogganing, gondola to first station for restaurants/sitting in the sunshine. Bus to Morzine for swimming pool and yet more shopping Shocked plenty of relaxed nightlife for families and livelier stuf if the adults want to go out and party.

For good skiers there is a lot of terrain to cover including several decent black pistes especially over towards Avoriaz (e.g. Swiss Wall).

Short transfer from GVA (1.5hrs max)

I would recommend this resort for mixed ability groups.
snow report
Whitegold, yes, Murdock was indeed the mad A-Team member.

Whitegold, & red 27, the OH thought the Davos uplift a little dated and the town didn't have that much to recommend it. I admit I haven't been myself. But I do trust her judgement... of course, as ever, I'm quite happy to be proven (or indicated) wrong Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy