Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salzburg - Bad Gastein transer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'm in a bit of a pickle and could use some advice.

I've booked for Bad Gastein from 19 Dec to 28 Dec. Our flight arrives in Salzburg at 20:00. Now when I booked, there was a scheduled coach transfer departing Salzburg airport at 21:30. That schedule was from last year, of course, and also of course the schedule for this winter has the last departure at 19:30. So that won't work. The last bus-train connection departs at 20:47, which is cutting things a little close. It's doable so long as the flight's not delayed ... .

So I'm looking for ideas. Renting a car is obvious but expensive. It is also considerably more expensive if I leave that as an option of last resort (if we miss the train).

Staying the night in Salzburg is also an option, but means eating the cost of our flat in Bad Gastein for one night. It also is more expensive if only done if we miss the train.

So, I'm asking for Snowheads collective knowledge to help me out here. Do any of you have any other ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ami in berlin, the OEBB timetable doesn't go any further than 13/12/08 yet, but looking at the times for a week earlier, the train leaves Salzburg Hauptbahnhof at 21:04. There's another at 01:38, but it arrives at 05:00 after a 2 hour stopover at Schwarzach from 02:30, so that's not advised.

From the airport to the station is about 30 minutes by bus, or about 15 by taxi - I'd book the taxi in advance, and have them waiting for you to assist with luggage. Book your train tickets in advance, and get a plan of the station so you know where you are going. The OEBB timetable includes the departure platform, and is always right, so that will help. Being in Berlin, you'll not be surprised to hear that the train will be on time... One-way ticket is €16.90

Car hire for 9 days will likely be €330-380 depending on size, so only an option if you are in a group of 3-4 people and don't have a lot of luggage.

An alternative is to book a private taxi if you have 4+ people, or use one of the semi-regular taxi buses which run every couple of hours during the season, such as http://www.salzburgerland.com/eng/tid_gastein-valley_47997/direktlink.html at €58 per person.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks ousekjarr. I've already looked on the oebb site and seen those connections. The problem with planning on that, especially if it means booking a taxi to be waiting for us and buying train tickets in advance, is that if the plane is delayed we're screwed. As you say, this is all assuming the train schedule is the same in the winter as it is now. My experience in Germany is that those schedules do not tend to change much, though.

We're only two people, so as you say I'm not very keen to rent an expensive car that will then sit next to our holiday flat for a week.

The taxi bus option is interesting. I'll try giving them a call to see how late they run. That might be the best option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed in a hotel near the airport in Jan before getting train the next day. It was'nt that expensive, €150 for 5 of us with breakfast. Nice hotel, swimming pool and all, will look up the name of it for you if you're interested.
Ian
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ami in berlin, I suggest you contact www.gasteintaxi.at. Some friends of mine used them a few years ago when they flew in and out of Salzburg at pretty unsocialable hours. I don't remember how much it cost but maybe worth contacting them to compare prices.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ousekjarr, Kersh, thanks for your help. I had not noticed that company on the Bad Gastein website before. Before I had only seen the Rainer Reisen company that dropped its late transfer. The one you mention seems to have a 22:00 minibus from Salzburg airport(although they are still posting last winter's schedule). I'll contact them to confirm, but that looks like the way to go.

Thanks again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy