Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyjet cancellations

Poster: A snowHead
Easyjet have just cancelled our flights to Basle for February 09. They quote EC Regulation No 261/2004. Money back, that's it. No flights now showing for Basle. Anyone else affected? Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spotted a while back that they had stopped selling flights from Liverpool to Basel, which is annoying as the Basel route is usually far cheaper than the Geneva one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No snow for us in 2009 then
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that was my banker for a weekend in Engelberg, fortunately for me Thomsonfly were doing decent deals to Geneva from Doncaster so I booked with them!

Where abouts in Formby are you? I was bought up in Beechwood Drive....

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alt Road.... recently moved here from Scarisbrick.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paddy's daddy wrote:

is there no where else you can fly to
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paddy's daddy - which resort are you aiming for then? Surely there will be loads of different ways to get there (some more convenient or cheap than others).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gatwick to Basel is still showing on the EJ site.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apparently there have been wranglings regarding the landing fees at Basel, so it looks like Easyjet have pulled the plug on their flights into there.
I enquired a while ago regarding LPL to Basel but EJ said they were holding the seats back.
Just as well we booked into Geneva
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Booked a Thomsonfly flight (Doncaster - Geneva) for a March ski weekend as soon as the flights came out in June. It's now been cancelled. Same story - money back only.

*******s eh?!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Booked a Thomsonfly flight (Doncaster - Geneva) for a March ski weekend as soon as the flights came out in June. It's now been cancelled. Same story - money back only.

*******s eh?!

Woa, I've booked same flight but for Jan, have they just cancelled certain flights???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swissair have a some good offer for some dates + your bag & skis go for free !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob, Yep, I've got 2 trips booked - fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paddy's daddy wrote:

Posted this ages back : Gatwick - Grenoble with BA.

They pulled the route offered me Heathrwow to Lyon as an alternative, but wanted an extra £800 off me for 4 of us.

Paddy's Daddy, why no snow !!, Manchester, Blackpool, Leeds, Doncaster, E-Midlands, Birmingham all within 2 hours of you. You are not trying hard enough Mad Mad .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
Where abouts in Formby are you? I was bought up in Beechwood Drive....

another member of the ex-Formby massive checking in Cool
snow report
A shout for the "Shorrocks Hill posse" Toofy Grin
latest report
PsychoBabble wrote:
A shout for the "Shorrocks Hill posse" Toofy Grin

Scary memories of very drunken nights there.....
snow conditions
i remember being turned away for not wearing "dress pants". happy memories...
ski holidays
nuff respeck for da squirrelz wink
latest report
flippin 'eck, when did you guys live in Formby? I was there until about 85 when I went to Leeds Poly, then back for hols etc for another 4 years or so....
latest report
Nah I'm just a plazzy squirrel - no far down the road though.
snow report
i went off to uni in 91

fatbob is an imposter from Ormskirk (IIRC)
snow report
Recent incomer as a Birkdaleian(?) 1993 but that place sticks in my mind for various reasons.
ski holidays
PsychoBabble, be careful with the " birk" bit someone may not understand the differences between Birkdale and Birkenvegas .
snow report
kitenski wrote:
another member of the ex-Formby massive checking in Cool
... and another! Very Happy Many a happy Friday night at Shorrocks! Not so happy Saturday morning though Laughing
latest report
Arno, what on earth are "dress pants"? Some very strange pictures come to mind!
latest report
Suit pants/trousers
snow conditions
'Not tried hard enough'

Have actually: but cost - more expensive flights plus travel to Gatwick and poss over night, and timings - getting to Basle or Geneva too late for last train to Interlaken and or return flight too early in morning - means it starts to be a chore not a holiday (same for channel tunnel and driving really) Have looked at other airlines too - costs typically 400 pp compared to £85 we had paid. For a family of 4 this makes flight only increase from £370 to £1600.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why not drive, get a tunnel crossing for about £150 return ?
snow report
Thanks for the suggestion - sounds good but apart from diesel etc it's the driving – 1700 mile round trip (with kids) - especially in UK, took us most of the day (7 hours driving plus stops, on a Sunday) to get back from Ashford after a trip to Belgium/Netherlands and France last month. It would a chore not a holiday
snow report
I don't really get why everyone mentions the tunnel crossing when ferries cost pennies compared to the tunnel crossing.... Oh paddy... diesel is generally only more expensive in UK.
snow report
er... exchange rate...... slightly cheaper diesel plus tunnel plus poss tolls plus european breakdown cover plus poss accommodation en toute = not a cheap as you think - just got back from 2 week tour so speak from recent experience
snow conditions
paddy's daddy agreed. Folks never allow for the full cost of mileage when doing a journey. And from oop north the kids would go ballistic in a car.
ski holidays
all depends how much you want your week in the snow, I guess.
ski holidays
Paddy, why do you even take the tunnel if you're complaining about money? The ferry costs 25 quid if you go at the right time. And possible accomodation? I guess if you're 50+...
latest report
paddy's daddy wrote:
'Not tried hard enough'

Have actually: but cost - more expensive flights plus travel to Gatwick and poss over night, and timings - getting to Basle or Geneva too late for last train to Interlaken and or return flight too early in morning - means it starts to be a chore not a holiday (same for channel tunnel and driving really) Have looked at other airlines too - costs typically 400 pp compared to £85 we had paid. For a family of 4 this makes flight only increase from £370 to £1600.

That's right Not tried hard enough or don't really want it that much. I do however agree that the driving option is more expensive when you factor everything in.

I was in exactly the same position as you, I had booked ridiculously cheap flights from Gatwick with BA (as that is where the cheap flight was going from) not exactly regional from where I live, when they pulled the route. So after having a good old rant on here about it I changed a Negative into a Positive and decided to drive and have a full 10 days on the snow instead of 6.

This is how it is planned.
Fri 26/12 : 07.30 Wife finishes night shift comes home gets changed, off we go at 07.35 and she sleeps all the way to Ashford.
12.50 Catch Euro tunnel paid for with Tesco vouchers (it doesn't take 7 hours to drive to Ashford)
19.00ish stop overnight in Langres after driving 300+ miles into France
20.00 Have a nice meal and a few beers, make this part of your Hols

Sat 27/12 07.00 Drive the other 300 miles to resort, missing all the traffic which will be about 2 hours behind you.
12.00ish Take skis off roof of car and ski for the afternoon

Sat 03/01 Pack up and move onto another resort for a further 3 days

Weds 07/01 Drive up through France overnight in Calais

Thurs 08/01 Do the Hypermarket then take the 11.50 Eurotunnel, again paid for with Tesco vouchers to arrive back home for about 18.00.

If you want it bad enough you will find a way, agree though that when everything is factored in Diesel, Crossings (if you pay for them), Tolls, Hotels both ways, Comprehensive European cover, Snow chains etc it ads up, however you have not got the cost of hiring a car when you get there. I would say it is only really a viable option cost wise if 4 are travelling.

I will probably drive all the way but my wife and son can also take over if need be.

What is the legislation in France with regards to young drivers, will my 18 year old son who is insured in the UK be able to drive my 2.0 TDCI Mondeo Puzzled

This also reminds me, when I booked for Gatwick I also booked one of those cheap none refundable travelodge rooms at Caterham for Fri 26/12 as I no longer need this and cannot get a refund, does anyone want it, I think a £10 donation to Snowheads would be appropriate.
snow conditions
Kel wrote:
What is the legislation in France with regards to young drivers, will my 18 year old son who is insured in the UK be able to drive my 2.0 TDCI Mondeo Puzzled

I'm not 100% on this one.

But I'm pretty sure you cannot drive in Europe legally untill your 21.
snow report
You can learn to drive in France at age 18. Don't know of any restrictions on which car you can drive thoguh.
Christopher, you may be mixing this up with hiring a car, which you probably couldn't do under 21 or even 25 in some cases.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, You're probably correct.
latest report
Just found this http://www.ferry-to-france.co.uk/driving_abroad.html with a quick google search, which I guess is what I should have done in the 1st place. It gives me the info I required which is the minimum age to drive in France is 18.

My Son had a full UK licence when he was 17, he would NOT have been able to Drive in France then, likewise my Swiss colleagues son would not be able to drive his restricted C2 at the age of 16 in the UK. Different countries have different legislations, which is what I wanted information about.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy