Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time skier going to Banff mid Feb 2009 ski jacket info

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am looking for advice on ski jackets to buy. I have looked at the forum and been to TK maxx to have a look and I notice the jackets have numbers on them i.e isotex 3000, 5000mm am I to assume that the higher the number the better the protection level. What would be best for me to get as I would assume it is really cold this time of year.

Many thanks

Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smmjh11, Isotex appears to be a windproof, waterproof breathable fabric http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/infopoint/definitions/isotex.asp . As such I would have thought that would be fine as your outer shell. The 5000mm would refer to the degree of that it is waterproof but to be honest you would hope that you wouldn't get rained on too heavily! Very Happy

Mid Feb in Banff won't necessarily be really cold. You are best off wearing layers - thermal base, inner fleece and wind/waterproof outer shell. If it does get really cold you can add another fleece layer and cover up all exposed parts - I find those face masks work wonders in the cold Very Happy . Make sure to wear a hat or a helmet to keep the heat in.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's the level of resistance to water (technically, the material can resist a column of water of up to 3000/5000/etc mm of water before the water gets through). Goretex is about 20000 mm (I think newer versions may be 30000). I'd say it would be better to look for at least 10000, HOWEVER read below.

If it's really cold the jacket's resistance to water is less important as it won't rain. The trick with the better materials is that they allow sweat to get out while water doesn't get in. Getting and remaining sweaty is the fastest way to get REALLY cold (as soon as the activity level goes down so you don't generate the heat anymore). There are some decent brands at TK Maxx even if they're not the best stuff out there. However if you can get a sale price on any Goretex jacket you'd be better off. (Now that I think of it, TK Maxx cary Nike ACG which are Goretex, and Berghaus sometimes).

Most skiers prefer to use several layers rather than a thick jacket - this way you can add or take off the layers to control temperature. (It helps a little with drying out, too).

Also: don't use cotton next to the skin - it stays wet. There are much better wicking synthetics - can find reasonably cheap ones in TK MAxx - or merino wool, but more expensive.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Banff could be 30 below in Feb or 5 below which makes buying a thin jacket/layering appropriately the most important thing to do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smmjh11, what the others said. Waterproofness should not be a factor then in Banff (might be in Whistler wink ). Cold can be. Make sure your ski gloves have enough room to wear glove liners inside. Take goggles (cold wind can make eyes painful). Your jacket needs to have enough room for 3 layers underneath, and wear a decent technical baselayer (available cheaply from Decathlon if you are money saving -or Icebreaker merino if you are splashing out).

Be ready to buy extra stuff out there - eg facemasks if it gets really cold.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can i come with you?

I'll show you around if you like Very Happy

sweet sweet memories. you lucky person!

ps. can you tell i liked it Puzzled

As others have said, it probably won't rain when you are there and if it snows, it'll be nice fluffy dry snow so waterproofness isn't as important as breathability. Sure, get a waterproof shell, but make sure you layer up according to the coldness. If (i mean when) i go back to Banff, i'll take my soft shell and layer up with a merino base layer and micro fleece between that and my jacket. We experienced cold weather when there but didn't really need waterproofs apart from a couple of days to keep the wind off.

If it gets below a certain temp then they'll not let you on the hill without a face-mask either. they can be bought out there easily enough though. There's a couple of decent stores at the base of the Gondola at Sunshine and lots and lots of shops in town. You can also buy clothing at Lake Louise but not as much choice. Decent enough shop there though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy