Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fastman's DVD

Poster: A snowHead
Fastman has now finished his first 3 DVD's and apparently preview copies are on the way to me as we speak. He's dealing with the copying etc. so you'll all be able to get copies well in time for the season and for Christmas. Very Happy In the meantime, they've put this little taster up on UTube for your delectation:
http://youtube.com/v/sJlO_73a5zI to watch. the edging vid of Janis is also there. I'm quite impressed. Very Happy

I'll let you know how the full versions are as soon as I get them and get a chance to look at them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice learnt more about the drills shown in 6 mins than a couple of years of description on BZK
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, You'll be looking for the full version then! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He makes those drills look so easy Shocked

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"One-legged carving is something to aspire to". O yes! Indeed it is. Looking forward to hearing more about the DVD. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes please Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't wait. Is that FastMan himself skiing?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, couldnt agree more... have you had a look at this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=747593#747593
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, i believe so and he does pretty good demos doesnt he... Very cool white pass leans
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's the funniest thing ever. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Make's me want to quit skiing. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It might work well as one of those, 'Dating' ads. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it Alan Partridge on the video? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tiresome, tiresome, tiresome, tiresome.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, C'mon, surely you thought there was some parody involved?!

Full respect to the content though and the get-up-and-go to produce it.
snow conditions
Looks like it could be a very useful set of DVDs - I'm sure I'll be getting them.
latest report
So that's what the 1,000 steps drill is....

All those drills on one leg - oh dear Madeye-Smiley . But looks very useful - I'd be very interested in the DVDs when they come out
snow report
I meant to also say, when he is skiing with two legs his feet are much closer together than I'm used to seeing or being taught. Any comments?
ski holidays
cathy, the time when his feet are particularly close together are in the slow skiddy turns, where it works quite well. The carved stuff is actually at hip width. There's probably been a bit of an overreaction to the old "feet bolted together" style which has resulted in people developing a shoulder-width stance, or more. I've recently been correcting that over-reaction in my own skiing and hip-width is actually narrower than you think, but does work: better grip and agility, although you have less margin for error in lateral balance. Hence the one-foot stuff - which is huge fun when you get it! As the speed goes up you need more stability, so stance then tends to go wider.

Looks like I'm going to be up for a set as well. So who's going to be European/snowHead distributor?
ski holidays
Quote:

So who's going to be European/ distributor?
Radical Sports Management?

Toofy Grin
snow report
GrahamN, ah, thanks for that Very Happy
snow report
Hurtle, Yes it is in one, and if you go to the other video on UTube it's Litte Tiger

Fr0sty the Sn0wman, The DVDs will be available through his website I believe.

As soon as I get them I'll watch them and let you all know what the finished article is like. Very Happy
snow conditions
Why is he wearing the fancy dress costume?
snow report
parlor wrote:
Why is he wearing the fancy dress costume?

bit rude ..no?
ski holidays
I still watch something like that and think 'how come some folk make it look sooooo easy?'
latest report
Its awesome, he makes skiing badly at the start look really good. I think he has been practicing that Laughing Laughing

Is he a racer/ex racer by the way??
snow conditions
freestyleandy, Yes - he's got the international race coaching qualification. Loads of experience along the way too. Sensible bloke IMO. Re: suit - he wore that so everyone could see clearly what was happening to his legs. In the old days we had to wear suits that showed line and so on for the student to see what we were doing. None of this modern baggy stuff!!! rolling eyes It's not currently trendy, but it does help to see what's going on.
ski holidays
easiski, Yep, i see the point, this guy is wearing 'Modern Baggy Stuff.'

http://youtube.com/v/1r6gIBCMVLI
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And this kid is wearing a Rugby Shirt!!!!!! Cool

http://www.new.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=30992987329&oid=27694623704
latest report
Thanks for the positive feedback, guys/gals, and thanks easiski for posting the video. Didn't even know you were going to be doing it.

This video was put together to provide some context to what I'm talking about when I mention skill and balance versatility. fatbob, I appreciate your feedback. I was hoping what you said would be the case.

The drills/exercises shown represent a taste of some of the upper end skills taught in the Building Blocks balance and edging DVD's. Not to worry,,, don't be intimidated by the level of the skills/drills you see in this video. The Building Blocks DVD's contain a full progression of drills that begin at a novice level, and very gradually and systematically lead up in small steps to the advanced balance and edging demos you see here.

Ah yes, the clothes! Laughing They were worn intentionally, like easiski says, to provide a clear visual of the lines of my legs. Important to see the shin/leg symmetry, or lack of, flexion/extension, etc. In the DVD's we have some close-ups that point this out, and some examples of A-framing and such. The black on the shins of my pants help show lines and angles well. The sleeves were taken off the jacket because I needed the cool down effect. We have about 10 full hours of video raw footage we filmed last spring. An hour of raw video takes all day to collect. I can't even tell you how many times I hiked the mountain (elevation almost 12000 feet) to gather the footage. Doing a round trip on the lift was just too time consuming. Most of the time LittleTiger was freezing, and I was sweating. These clips have been extracted from the filming LittleTiger and I did for the Builiding Blocks series, so expect to be treated the same fashion statement wardrobe in the DVD's.

Cathy, GrahamN ansered your question well. Thanks GrahamN. A wider stance provides more stability and room for balancing error. A narrower stance provides more quickness from foot to foot. I'll do an article on this topic on the website soon. There are many factors involved in choosing a specific stance width. Generally, make it comfortable, so you can have your skis flat on the snow without having to contort your knees in or out.

Megamum, it's just a matter of building your skills one step at a time, at your own pace. At first the new drill may feel difficult and intimidating,,, but gradually you learn and embed the new skill in your muscle memory, and with practice it starts to feel very natural and easy to do. Then you step up to a new skill, and repeat the formula. Your skill base continues to grow, and in doing so the adoption of new skills start to get easier and easier. Yes, you CAN do it, Megamum, and the process is a lot of fun. Every new skill acquired along the way provides a rewarding sense of accomplishment. And with each step forward, once you get it, you've got it for the rest of your life.

I must tell you guys, this has been one major project. Between researching and buying all the photo and computer equipment and software, learning how to use it all, the filming, editing all summer, setting up the website, plus working my summer business to pay for it all and make ends meet,,, it's been quite an undertaking to say the least. But you guys have been with me all the way on it, from the moment I first mentioned last year that I was thinking of doing it, and I really appreciate the support and encouragement you've offered. The first two DVD's are done, just working on getting the labeling and duplicating done, then they'll be ready. Currently I'm working on the 3rd, and hope to have the 4th done by Christmas.
ski holidays
the "step by step" aspect of this series of DVDs should be really valuable. I have several Phil Smith DVDs, which are excellent in some ways (mostly for getting yourself in the mood at the beginning of the season. wink ) but they're not always much help in working out how to get some way further along the spectrum between what I do and what Phil Smith does!
snow report
FastMan, I think you could, and hope you will, be onto a winner.
snow report
FastMan, I should think the DVD's will be a success - you have a much wider audience than two friends of mine did who produced 2 videos on goat keeping of all things. Their vidoes were offered through the farming press and I think they did OK out of the enterprise. Skiing instruction DVD's must have potentially a much bigger market. II hope you get rewarded well financially for all the effort you put into the project, but surely the biggest satisfaction will be when you sit in a bar enjoying a bit of apres and overhear a conversation that mentions some skill or point that some one says they got from one of the DVD's?
ski holidays
I look forward to ripping them from a Torrent site soon. Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I look forward to ripping them from a Torrent site soon. Laughing

Quoting to preserve the evidence..... Twisted Evil
snow report
 brian
brian
FastMan, and little tiger, I must congratulate you both on being able to ski badly on demand. Can't have been easy. Laughing
ski holidays
FastMan, congratulations on the DVDs!
Having worked on a couple of instructional videos back in the 90s, I know how much work that kind of thing takes to put together.
snow conditions
I like the youtube clip. 'Tail pushes' I now have a name for what I do when I get lazy. Sometimes you don't realise how bad something is until you see it on video Shocked Embarassed I was wondering about the Mr. Bean style gear you were wearing, all for a good reason in the end.

Fantastic effort and even more so if you're doing this without a company backing you.
latest report
PisteHead, I liked the demo of the tail pushes as well - I am sure that this is what I currently resort to to help in bringing the skis back across the mountain - I will have to re-check the footage from VT that is somewhere in Snowheads media zone, but to look at it on the UTube clip I'm sure I resort to pushing in the tails to keep a check on the speed at the moment. Though I guess I will get rid of that as I get the hang of riding the edges round a turn
snow conditions
I'm never too convinced by the "good skier skiing badly to make a point" bit. Unless people are enormously gifted they still tend to appear thoroughly competent and in control. It would be better to use genuinely bad skiers but I can see there might be some recruitment problems!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy